IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Yes. With a membership to BCreek, why in the hell are you still playing community??? I'm having trouble adjusting from a country club to a sh**hole.

A lot of guys from work play at Community in a league. I've been playing in the league for nearly 6 years now. So I spend one day a week there.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Also looking forward to how @iacas will describe "the edge of your ability"

Sure thing. How's this?

"at the edge of your ability means that you are exploring a change at a speed where you are successful roughly 80% of the time. For many this starts at about 30% swing speed and can feel uncomfortable. Then as it becomes more comfortable and you achieve success easily (like 95%+), you increase swing speed.

You need to be practicing slow enough that you can feel whether you made the change or you didn't make the change. (Then confirm using video or something else that's not biased.)

Deep practice is an exploration of your body and what the change feels like to you.

I know about about the slow practice. I do a lot of slow motion swings inside in the evenings after work. Slow backswings, hold to feel the club position, slight pump of the hands (vertically because I have a bad habit of pumping the club around, not up), then very slow downswing really getting the hips open.

Swings without a ball are useful, but obviously with a ball is by far the best. Swings in your apartment are MUCH better than nothing, though.

I do think I need to go to the range more often just so I can get contact with the swing changes, and develop that swing speed I am comfortable with my swing changes. That is probably related to the edge of my ability things.

Uh, yes, go to the range more often. It's fine to play a lot, but it's going to slow down any necessary changes.

Seriously, no reason you shouldn't be a scratch golfer in a year or two, tops. But it will take some work.

I hope to be able to swing out to Dayton/Columbus some day. Maybe we can practice for a few hours (with George?), play, and do it all again the next day. Just have a big "golf weekend."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Uh, yes, go to the range more often. It's fine to play a lot, but it's going to slow down any necessary changes.

Seriously, no reason you shouldn't be a scratch golfer in a year or two, tops. But it will take some work.

That makes sense on play versus practice. If the rain passes like its suppose to, I'll have a date with the driving range this evening. I'll bring the camera out there to film a bit of practice.

I am looking forward to reaching that goal :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

That makes sense on play versus practice. If the rain passes like its suppose to, I'll have a date with the driving range this evening. I'll bring the camera out there to film a bit of practice.

Film some slow speed swings (make them not blurry :D), and film 5-10 minutes of regular speed practice, too. I'd like to see all of that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
200 yards from the green on a par 5. Slightly downhill lie, pure'd a 6 iron to about 20 feet. Best swing i've made all year.

Was it? Or was it just the best result…? :)

Not sure, but I get the point. :whistle:

I could have possible have made the best swing on hole 11 when I pull over-draw'd one, but lack key 5 control. The 6 iron could have been more towards my previous swing and got a bit key 4 and 5 control back to get a better result.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I am looking forward to reaching that goal :)

Let me know if you want to meet up at a range sometime. I need to get some video for my thread too.

- Shane

Let me know if you want to meet up at a range sometime. I need to get some video for my thread too.

I'll probably be out at Beavercreek this evening, about 5:50-6:00 pm or so.  I get free range balls, I would be willing to ask for two bags ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'll probably be out at Beavercreek this evening, about 5:50-6:00 pm or so.  I get free range balls, I would be willing to ask for two bags ;)

Cool. See you there.

- Shane

The golf swing after warming up a bit. Fresh look, no practice before hand. Some of the video is taking longer to process because my video camera produces crazy large file sizes.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some non-slow mo practice video. Doesn't look good. Not getting that left hip piece right. Still need to shorten the swing.

Started to develop a fat strike on the ball. I tried slowing down the swing, but that had only marginal success,

Took some face on view to see if I could notice my head doing anything drastic, like dropping back a lot.

Worked on some distance wedge swings. I think my problem with my distances wedges is that I do the teeter (left shoulder down), but not the totter well. Basically I'll turn and then try to just flip at the ball and not let the shoulder turn produce the shot.

Still need to figure out how exactly to get the hips to work better.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Be disciplined enough to know that if things aren't going well, it's probably not something new, it's probably that you're not doing the piece you're working on enough.

Ahhh, I see what you did there :-D

Be disciplined enough to know that if things aren't going well, it's probably not something new, it's probably that you're not doing the piece you're working on enough.

Yep. I just explained this to a buddy of mine who I'm working with and it was a "lightbulb" moment for him.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Be disciplined enough to know that if things aren't going well, it's probably not something new, it's probably that you're not doing the piece you're working on enough.

Ok

So just more of what I was doing up in Erie then. Left arm out towards the ball, left hip back and around.

I just got to stop trying to speed it up to get that left hip back. Its almost like I want to cheat it buy going faster instead of more. That and I think I cheat the spine angle tilt by losing my my tilt, dipping the head back to get the sensation I am tilted.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

So just more of what I was doing up in Erie then. Left arm out towards the ball, left hip back and around.

I just got to stop trying to speed it up to get that left hip back. Its almost like I want to cheat it buy going faster instead of more. That and I think I cheat the spine angle tilt by losing my my tilt, dipping the head back to get the sensation I am tilted.

Uhhhh, yes to all of that. Proof is right there in the pictures. I'm sure you see that. :)

Went to the range again. Some swings were like on the range at Erie, some were not. Still struggling with head movement in the swing.

Swing as it is now,

Image on the left, hands are not far enough out towards the ball. Image on the right there is my classic loss of spine tilt. Though this are not closed and the shoulders are square to the target line. I think I am combining getting the hips open with loss of spine tilt instead of fixing both. I would presume that I would be stuck in the amount I can get my hips open if I continue to struggle with the spine tilt thing.

Practicing getting the hips open more and hands out more. Not sure if I am standing to close or not. The final swing looks a bit better at impact.

Here is an example of my head getting backward tilty even if it is more just at impact to post impact move.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Went to the range again. Some swings were like on the range at Erie, some were not. Still struggling with head movement in the swing.

Watch your posture.

Weight getting back in the heels is going to tend to cause some issues with the head movement, butt getting back to the wall, etc. General balance stuff (heel to toe balance stuff).

Image on the left, hands are not far enough out towards the ball. Image on the right there is my classic loss of spine tilt. Though this are not closed and the shoulders are square to the target line. I think I am combining getting the hips open with loss of spine tilt instead of fixing both. I would presume that I would be stuck in the amount I can get my hips open if I continue to struggle with the spine tilt thing.

Yes, you will, and here are some refreshers (using the same first video from up above):

Swing gets longer than it needs to be, and that's where your right shoulder retracts a bit behind you, which makes the arm stay…

… too deep on the downswing (this angle shows that the shaft is a bit shallower AND the BOC is a bit deeper in the ball of the foot instead of out on the toes). It's a small difference but your swing is not very far off.

This picture is telling. Look at how much of the left side of your body you can see on the left versus the right image.

Dough, how many of those balls went over 100 yards? :-) Yes, I want you to crash that left hip through the wall, but you can push through it slowly. It won't bend - it's a mm thick pane of rigid glass. It'll break whether you push your hip through it at 1 MPH or 50 MPH.

Practicing getting the hips open more and hands out more. Not sure if I am standing to close or not. The final swing looks a bit better at impact.

See above. And yes, it does.

Watch your posture. Weight getting back in the heels is going to tend to cause some issues with the head movement, butt getting back to the wall, etc. General balance stuff (heel to toe balance stuff). Dough, how many of those balls went over 100 yards? :-) Yes, I want you to crash that left hip through the wall, but you can push through it slowly. It won't bend - it's a mm thick pane of rigid glass. It'll break whether you push your hip through it at 1 MPH or 50 MPH. See above. And yes, it does.

Pleads the fifth :whistle: I'll make sure I am more balanced in my posture. Not sure why I was getting on my heels. Makes sense though. Ok will work on it, and try to make my last swing thought slower. I can get lost a bit on what I want to do and then end up swinging full speed.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag