IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

DEPTH ALERT! NEED MORE "UP" with the right elbow moving off your chest and, to use a phrase PGA Tour players will use a lot, "staying in front of your chest."

Note that the two lines on the right arm aren't 3D but they highlight how much less his elbow has rotated around his body and how it's strayed a bit from his rib cage. Or to put it another way…

Relative to the camera, your upper arm is pointing to the camera's left, while Tiger's upper arm is pointing more at the camera. The only real trick in this is that you have to do this but still keep up your rotation - you can't just pick your arm up and point it at the camera with less rotation.

Try this: swing back doing nothing at all with your arms. Just pivot to 90°. The hands will gain PLENTY of depth. From there, bend your right elbow (and let it move off your rib cage a little), cock/hinge your wrists, and blammo, A4.

This depth is extreme and is going to cause problems when you're able to hit golf balls again.

Yea, really can see the difference there. More to work on. TO THE CAMERA!!!

I think the shoulder and hip angles look pretty good in that image. So, just need to work on how the hands work in the back swing. More up, less deep, trust the turn gets the required depth.

I like the dedication ... it's obvious how much furniture had to be moved out of the way so you could make these swings.    Well done.

I do what I can :-D

Yea I was able to swing with the original configuration, but not optimal for camera usage. So the couch got relocated and so did the chair. Now when I want the room to be normal, i just shift the chair more towards the right. It actually works well aesthetically, really opens up the apartment more.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I think the shoulder and hip angles look pretty good in that image. So, just need to work on how the hands work in the back swing. More up, less deep, trust the turn gets the required depth.

QFT.

Yea I was able to swing with the original configuration, but not optimal for camera usage. So the couch got relocated and so did the chair. Now when I want the room to be normal, i just shift the chair more towards the right. It actually works well aesthetically, really opens up the apartment more.

Golf - Improving Lives since… well, late last week I guess.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do what I can

You could say the rug the alignment stick "really ties the room together," eh? :-P

Yea, really can see the difference there. More to work on. TO THE CAMERA!!!

Correct, get the depth from the pivot and the "up" from the arms. Like Erik said, it will feel like the arms are much more in front of you.

I know you like this drill and post it to help people, think it'd be a good one for you to do for the right arm placement (like the green arrow in the Tiger example)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Ok that movement is just wired feeling. Which means I am on the right track. :-D When it doubt trust that doing something opposite will feel strange.

Just some notes from last nights attempt to get a good feel down.

- One thing I think is working is feeling the right arm being attached more to the chest LONGER. Then the arm will slightly raise away at the top. I got to make sure not to feel any stretch in the chest, or compression in the right shoulder scapula region. No drawing the shoulder blade closer to the spin, so that the right elbow doesn't start to creep behind my body. This is having some success right now. Just need reps.

I do about 3-4 slow motion drill of what @mvmac posted above. Just letting the club sit there, maybe a bit of a pump drill to get the feel of the club on the path. Then I'll try to develop a feel from address to get to that feel at the top. Trying to link the two points together. Overall not bad. I think I have to clean up the turn rates a bit to help out. A little more hip rotation sooner really helps make it feel like I don't have to force depth.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just some notes from last nights attempt to get a good feel down.  - One thing I think is working is feeling the right arm being attached more to the chest LONGER. Then the arm will slightly raise away at the top. I got to make sure not to feel any stretch in the chest, or compression in the right shoulder scapula region. No drawing the shoulder blade closer to the spin, so that the right elbow doesn't start to creep behind my body. This is having some success right now. Just need reps.

I like that, making sure the right shoulder blade doesn't retract behind you. Make sure it's soft at A1 and keep it soft. [quote name="saevel25" url="/t/34167/my-swing-saevel25/72#post_957859"] I do about 3-4 slow motion drill of what @mvmac posted above. Just letting the club sit there, maybe a bit of a pump drill to get the feel of the club on the path. Then I'll try to develop a feel from address to get to that feel at the top. Trying to link the two points together. [/quote] Good stuff, that's exactly the way to utilize that drill.

Mike McLoughlin

Few feels that seem to work for me right now.

I can feel the right hand going straight back, help keep the clubhead outside the hands earlier. In doing so I MUST get my hips to turn quicker. If not I get stuck in the whole hands move way to earlier compared to my hips and things go wrong fast. My swing gets way too long.

From there, its a feel like my hands slightly rotate over, and the hands go up to a flat left wrist at the top. May or may not be, but I use to cup the left wrist a lot, so this feels flatter. The hands do feel like they go more up than around. From there, I get that whole reverse roll going, dropping the club inside. Really from this position its very easy to do so because the clubhead is in a position to drop. Before when the clubhead is behind me its hard to drop it further behind because it wants to reroute to that diagonal swing path. Which is the classic over the top loop move.

Looking promising right now. Really these moves happen quicker than creating depth with my hands alone. Just because the hands have to do less. So, getting too handsy is still something to be conscious about. I can get into a habit of not turning those hips early enough.

Less than 7 days till I will be getting some professional advice in Erie, PA. Looking forward to that.

Oh on a side note,

60+ FRICKEN DEGREES TOMORROW!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Yea its not a priority piece right now. The dreaded backswing is. I get the whole stuck behind me look going on, right elbow likes to get retracted. Dread syndrome, Right Elbow Retractions. That sound professional.   Need more up than in with the hands. Pain in the ass feel for me. If I did that whole open hips thing right now my right hand might be behind my right hip going into impact with my current backswing, and probably totally miss the ball. Those are my two major things right now, backswing, and hips more open at impact. Seems to me you and I are mirroring each other a bit, but you are lightyears ahead in the hip department.

Yes your backswing almost prevents you right now from doing the downswing the way you need to. So keep doing the backswing. Swing will feel shorter, just don't make it shorter by turning less.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just a quick question for @iacas or @mvmac ,

Just a bit on the downswing, if my hands get too close to the body in the downswing then the swing will get too steep right?

I just noticed tonight I was thumping the ground with the clubhead back in my stance, and closer to my body than normal. Then I remembered my feel that worked better than the reverse motorcycle rev motion, were I would push the path outward with my right hand. This feel seemed to move the hands further away from the body through impact, and really help get the contact much further forward. My weight forward was good, and my head keeping still was good. I was just thumping the ground early. So, I just think I was getting to vertically down in the downswing, and not enough outward away from the body, at least with the hands. I get stuck being too armsy, like I want to hatchet the ground when I work on not getting that right arm stuck behind me. The move in the backswing is just letting that right arm collapse more instead of retract more. So I feel like I need to undo that, and when I do that it gets very steep and choppy feeling.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok just a quick question for @iacas or @mvmac,

Just a bit on the downswing, if my hands get too close to the body in the downswing then the swing will get too steep right?

Generally yes.

Might be your backswing piece causing this to happen.

Mike McLoughlin

Just practicing a bit on the backswing piece. Some decent ones, some old habits sneaking in. I am finding it hard to get a good transition move with the new backswing feel. When I try to get that left hip cleared quicker, I end up flipping and coming out of the swing, whiffing the ground. When I don't I end up hitting the ground very very hard. Not sure what do do on that one. It's just tough to shallow things out. Something to work on in the future.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Had some trouble with hitting too many shots thin :no: . Was able to get some decent shots in later in the round. The greens were absolutely SLOW as I have ever seen greens be slow. These greens had to be below an 8 Stimp. Putts were consistently coming up 4-5 feet short, just horrible. I hate slow greens. Pitching was blah, thinned a couple pitch shots as well. Chipping was not bad, had a few good short pitches and chips. Driving was pretty good. The SLDR is an absolute monster like the numbers said it was. That driver has just turned my ball flight into a boring trajectory, LOVE IT!!

Still work to do. Need to get this backswing piece down, and still get the swing shorter. When I tried half swing and rip through the ball, I hit a few too many thin shots. I think I need the weight forward more + rip through the ball. Overall, I wish I played better, but when I went from the office to the course, first time hitting golf balls during a round of play with out a warm up.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Still work to do. Need to get this backswing piece down, and still get the swing shorter. When I tried half swing and rip through the ball, I hit a few too many thin shots. I think I need the weight forward more + rip through the ball. Overall, I wish I played better, but when I went from the office to the course, first time hitting golf balls during a round of play with out a warm up.

The thin shots are probably just due to feeling the shorter backswing, the sequencing is changing, causes your "timing" to be different. With more reps contact will improve.

Mike McLoughlin

That picture on the left is where I'm trying to get.  My swing also tends to be too long, which is proving to be a real pain the arse to fix.  Keep up the good work!

Golf is hard.

Today's course conditions, WET!!! some fairways had a good 6-8 inches of standing water. Shot 9 over again, bogey golf. As for the swing, still catching things a bit too thin for me. Though some better shots overall are getting into the game. I just need a good day at the range to get the timing down. I haven't been able to get out there. So I've been playing with zero warming up, add in the swing change and it is an adventure. Given I have NO short game or putting right now, expectations are low.

Hopefully, I'll get out to the range next week, a couple good days should be in there.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, I think I know why my timing is off. When I take that short swing, I try to feel that rip move, were the hip turns around and up. I am doing that too early in the swing. Its causing me to almost whiff the ball a few times. That and it could be me not keeping a steady head in the back swing. So I am trying out, feel a half swing, let the arms drop and then rip. Just to get a bit of a better timing down with that move.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok, I think I know why my timing is off. When I take that short swing, I try to feel that rip move, were the hip turns around and up. I am doing that too early in the swing. Its causing me to almost whiff the ball a few times. That and it could be me not keeping a steady head in the back swing. So I am trying out, feel a half swing, let the arms drop and then rip. Just to get a bit of a better timing down with that move.

Correct, you're going to feel like the pacing is more even from 4-5 rather than trying rip it from 4.

Mike McLoughlin