IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

It might actually be a bad thing for the West Coast team if he did that…

No practice, gotcha! :-D:hmm:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

New goal. Going to play a lot more golf on the course than practice during the week. I think its about time to get more using to playing than being more comfortable practicing.

I mean, this competition is actually playing golf not practicing golf :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I tried to go to Beavercreek today to hit some pitch shots and found out that the course was closed because they got 3/4" of rain in 15 minutes.

So I went to Golfsmith to hit some drivers :)

I found out most clubs gave me the same numbers.

This was the Titleist 915 D2

Ball Speed: 165.8

Backspin: 2454

Launch Angle: 14.1

Carry: 288

Then I hit one shot with the LS Tec 9.0 degree G30 from Ping.

Ball Speed: 172

Launch Angle: 13.1

Backsping: 2050

Carry. 298.9

#BOOM!!! :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played 9 holes tonight.

Hit 5 GIR and shot HORRIBLE

I had 5 three putts. I missed 4 putts inside of 4 ft. The other 3 putt was from 10 feet but I was on the wrong tier of the green and the pin was right at the base. You can get the ball to stop by the pin but you need to hit a putt that basically stops at the apex and rolls under its own weight.

My pitching was horrendous.

Time to focus on my short game and putting. Its just drives me crazy sometimes I get these rounds where this part of my game just has no site of ever working for me.

The only good pitch I hit was when the ball was on a pretty good downslope and I hit it to about 3 feet. I did hit a 60 yard distance wedge to about 8 ft (then three putted). Besides that I wasn't even close to hitting any good partial swing or pitch shots.

Really I got nothing right now on what I am doing wrong.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

My pitching was horrendous.

Really I got nothing right now on what I am doing wrong.

I went back and thought about my pitching.

I am 99% sure I was not making a slow enough backswing. I was very quick and very jabby with my pitches. Also with my distance wedges as well. I really never thought about the yardage and how far back I need to take the club.

Putting, I either over-read the break on the short putts or I pushed some putts.

Note to self, stop being a dunce and think about what you are doing. :doh:

I could probably make a slightly slower backswing for the full swing as well, just to help curb the overswinging part.

Oh well, I'll take 5 GIR and move one. DW, Pitching and putting are easier to fix than the long game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

My putting from yesterday,

3-5 FT: -1.63

25+ FT: -1.20

Total for Putting: -6.41 :cry:

I revise my pitching statement from above. My pitching was actually +0.49. I think I was mixing in my Distance Wedges perception to my pitching game .

My uncomfortable range right now is 50 to 100 yards.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot a +6, 41 with a triple and a double bogey.

My driver had too much curve left tonight.

My irons were C grade. Some pretty good shots, some poor shots.

Distance wedges were not good.

Pitching was decent, Putting was a C. Still struggle on some short putts.

With my full swing, I wonder if I am tipping towards the target on the backswing. The backswing felt overly long, and overly turny. I am really struggling to get the right side through, and I have a habit of tipping away from the target on some shots. I wonder if i was just concentrating so much on the backswing I forgot the hands go up and forgot to keep the swing shorter.

The reason I think this is because when I hit some of my better shots, last two holes. I decided to think about turning in the backswing, but just feel like I lift my hands up. I hit a flush 9 iron to 12 ft on a par 3. I hit a pretty good drive on hole #9, the ball started center of the fairway and draw'd to the left edge of the fairway. Earlier in the round when I was trying to hit my driver I felt very early extension feeling as well as tipping back feeling on some.

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/467094

I'll try to get to the range this weekend to video tape the swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot a +6, 41 with a triple and a double bogey.

My driver had too much curve left tonight.

Did a mental refresher on the analyzr images. If the ball is curving too much left then the path is too much outward. Not doing the right side piece enough.

On putting, I do notice that I struggle with the left to right short ones. When I am over the ball It always feels like I am aiming way more left than I need to be and I tend to push left to right putts back to the hole. I struggle to get comfortable over the ball with how my set up is.

Maybe it's just needing to practice those types of putts a lot more than other putts just to get use to them.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Did a mental refresher on the analyzr images. If the ball is curving too much left then the path is too much outward. Not doing the right side piece enough.

Any chance you might be missing a little towards the toe? I was having the same problem so I shifted the weights in my driver around, moved the CoG out towards the toe and it straighten my shots out.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Any chance you might be missing a little towards the toe? I was having the same problem so I shifted the weights in my driver around, moved the CoG out towards the toe and it straighten my shots out.

No, I'm hitting them pretty solid in the center. It's just the swing path and clubface angle.

The shots felt like I wasn't doing my downswing piece enough. Some of the shots just felt overly quick and like I was tilting backwards in the downswing.

I was more curious if I was doing something wrong in my backswing that would make it harder to do the downswing piece. It just seems more difficult to achieve now than before. I am talking about at the top of the swing, it feels harder to even initiate that move forward. It's like I am going to tilt backwards no matter how hard I try to get that right shoulder to move forward.

This was a swing from last week. A1 set up is C at best. Besides that at A4 my head is pointing way more away from target and my head has moved slightly towards the target a tad. The swing is much longer, the hand positions there. At A7, my head stays pretty steady, but the head has to rotate and tilt away from the target in the downswing.

Still I stay in my tilt pretty good here. This is why I am wondering if it a backswing thing that is making it hard to get body forward at impact.

this is from Erie. At A4 the head is more up and down. The hands are less behind my head, more out in front. A7 body is more open and the right shoulder is more forward.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Unless I get an good reason from Erik on something I need to tweak I'll just continue working on my swing with what I got from Erie.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Going to take a break from posting lengthy stuff.  I might post a few video's here or there. I want to get out of my own head for a bit and just work on what I need to. (see pictures below).

Just leaving these up here as reference for a while.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Unless I get an good reason from Erik on something I need to tweak I'll just continue working on my swing with what I got from Erie.

Yes, same stuff. Nothing new. Go back to the pictures (you're doing that which is great) and keep reviewing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Distance Wedge Stuff, because it's a glaring weakness.

1) Weight more forward at set up still with a slight spine tilt.

2) Do the proper backswing length

3) Drive right side towards the target. I focused on driving that right side past the golf ball. The golf ball was my visual aid for the distance wedges.

For me, I need to make much more shorter backswing in terms of feel and probably actuality and just drive that right side. A 2/3rd backswing distance number was actually like 1/2 backswing feel distance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Maybe im seeing it wrong but it seems you have huge shoulder turn even with your irons maybe dial back the shoulder turn a touch with the irons to get more consistent?

Accuracy before distance with irons in my mind!

EDIT, looks like i missed to read your last post!!

The "Good Swing" Drive Notes

Played 9 holes last night. Two shots cost me, but the drive on hole #9 is the swing I wanted to muse over.

Ball Flight - Straight with a 5-10 yard fade, probably should have 10-15 yard fade, but there was a prevailing wind out of the right.

Set Up - Spin tilt good, hands not as forwardly pressed. Grip was a tad on the weaker side for me. I find the weaker grip helps get rid of the forward press.

Back Swing - Really can't think of anything overly different than the other swings of the night. Maybe not as long, but not by so much that it was overly noticeable.

Downswing

Here is where the big difference was. Previous swings of the evening were C grade at best with early extension and swinging too hard not better. This one was B to B+ Grade for me.

It didn't feel like my head tilted away from the target. I didn't feel any early extension. One thing I did notice was I was in my tilt longer, as in forward towards the ball tilt, going into the finish.

I don't know what triggered it in my head but from the top of the backswing I just did my move right. Maybe I wasn't thinking about the backswing as much. It just worked out for that swing.

If I had to describe it. At the top of the backswing the first move was the right side moving in the right way. The bad swings feel very quick with the early extension and sometimes tilting away from target beginning at transition. This good shot felt like my first move from transition was the right side turning towards the ball and target.

To describe it another way. I wonder if saying, hit the ball with the right side is a good mental image ? On distance wedges I try to get the right side past the ball because the stance is shorter and the ball is in a good spot visually.

Change in Putting Routine

Previous Routine

1) Aimpoint Read

2) Practice Stroke

3) Get the point to aim at

4) Line up

5) Hit the putt

New Routine

1) Aimpoint Read

2) Get the point to aim at

3) Practice stroke

4) Line up

5) Hit the putt

I wanted to shorten the time between the practice stroke and hitting the ball. I am trying to take less time standing over a putt. This helped out a ton on long putts. I had a few putts yesterday that were over 30 FT. My longest 2nd putt was about 3.5 FT.

I changed how I looked down the lie. I use to raise my head up and look at the spot I want to hit at. That was throwing off my perception and how I was aligned. Now I try to rotate my head with out lifting it up. I look from the ball down my start line to the point I am aiming at. I try to trace a straight line to the point I want to the the ball at.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Here's a new idea, SWING SLOWER!

I :doh: myself for my shitting driving range session.

Same stuff. Stay over the ball more, right side through earlier, and SLOWER

I kinda figured it out on the last few shots with my 6 iron. I took a slower backswing and overall slowed the swing down and hit 5 really good shots. Then I totally how to do that with the driver in the next 5-10 shots.

Going to have to take a break from hitting balls. My left hand getting sore from hitting a lot of thinnish iron shots. The area right below my pinky finger, and just below the 2nd joint of my middle finger. Sore, callus blistery.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Driving range work this evening.

Backswing is a C - minus.

Worked on that part a bit. Working on not moving the hands as much from A1 to A2. Keeping those elbows together more. Trying to get less of that gap in the left arm and the chest. Getting the arms to work up more, and less around.

Face On View

Right shoulder needs to be more forward.

If I had to nit pick. Ball is still a tad too far back and the stance is slightly to narrow.

Also, SHORTER please! :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag