My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

FO Pitching

DTL Pitching

Flatter on the downswing, please. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Flatter on the downswing, please. :-)

Hmm

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Hmm

Think dealing cards with the right hand. Also, let the pivot control the shot, not the arms. You want that floaty feel on the downswing. To me, your pitch looks more like your full swing. It should look like Dave and Erik below.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Updated Shot Zones (I used game golf). The precision isn't that high. It does give me an idea of if my shots are ending up left or right of my target line. Also, it gives me a decent idea of how wide my shot zones are. 

Driver.JPG

4 Iron.JPG

6 Iron.JPG

8 Iron.JPG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I worked on my putting. 

I tried out a little bit more wrist hinge in the backstroke. I found this substantially helped my distance control. 

Here is where I struggle on putting. :pound:

1. Left to right & right to left breaking putts that have more than 2% slope to them. The ball above and below my feet bother the heck out of my putting. 

2. On left to right I feel like I am falling over the ball. When I get my weight more towards my heels then I feel like I am sitting back too far, my hips feel like they are back further. I tend to struggle to aim left enough on the putts even though I Aimpoint them on the right read. 

3. On right to left putts, the slope doesn't bother me as much in terms of set up. I tend to aim to the right way too much. I struggle to aim on the line I want. It just feels like I am aiming way under my line when I aim correctly. 

4. I still struggle a ton with not letting the putter get too inside on the backstroke. When I try to putt with less arc it feels like the putter face is closed to the path a lot. When I proceed to putt the ball It feels like I need to keep the putter face from turning over.

Take your right hand, and have it infront of you so palm is facing to the left. As you move it right, turn the hand over so the back of the hand is starting more towards the sky, turning counter clockwise. Then move the hand to the left and rotate the hand so the palm is starting to face towards the sky. This is what my putting stroke feels like from time to time. It's not all the time. 

5. Lots of struggle just feeling comfortable over the ball, just feeling comfortable with being square to may target line and how the putter looks down by the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

The feeling of falling forward or over too much… I don't know. Monitor where your nose is relative to the ball and then just get over it. You're on a slope, so of course it will feel different than if you were on flat ground. If anything, that should confirm the read for you.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're on a slope, so of course it will feel different than if you were on flat ground. If anything, that should confirm the read for you.

I get that. When I practice I find the line and mark it out with a small tee. I use that to help me pick out a line just in front of the ball. I struggle in actually lining up to that mark. 

When I put down an alignment stick, so I can make sure my body is aligned square, the putter always looks closed to my target line. It feels like I am going to putt it way right of where I want to. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I get that. When I practice I find the line and mark it out with a small tee. I use that to help me pick out a line just in front of the ball. I struggle in actually lining up to that mark. 

When I put down an alignment stick, so I can make sure my body is aligned square, the putter always looks closed to my target line. It feels like I am going to putt it way right of where I want to. 

I'll go back to "feel ain't real", and suggest that your image of the clubface being closed is yet another "feel".  The alignment sticks are real, and I think that if you practice enough with them, on the slopes that are bothering you, your eyes will become accustomed to aligning correctly.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It feels closed but you're going to putt it right?

I think you're overthinking this stuff. Put dime down 3' away and line up to that or something. Your feet can be slightly open - that's fine.

Your STANCE might look closed to your putter, but I doubt your putter looks weird. Your eye line might be different because your stance is different. I've watched you putt, though - you still aim your putter well.

Get a laser and do some work at home with your putter on a non-patterned carpet.

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'll go back to "feel ain't real", and suggest that your image of the clubface being closed is yet another "feel".  

Probably :-D

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I think you're overthinking this stuff. Put dime down 3' away and line up to that or something. Your feet can be slightly open - that's fine

I like that drill. I dropped a penny on the green today. That helped out. 

I was over thinking it. I do think adding a bit of wrist hinge to the stroke has helped out a lot. I stopped being obsessive over my alignment and I started making a lot of putts on the practice green. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I went to the short game area today. I worked on fanning the club better in the back swing. I feel that my short game will be really coming along here soon. Contact is getting much more consistent. 

I also worked on my distance wedges a bit. I found I was taking too big of a backswing for shorter shots. This was causing me to try to slow down. When I get a proper backswing length I really can drive through with my body better. 

I spent about 20 minutes working on my putting. I was just focusing on just hitting my start line. While I was putting I did the toe's up drill. That drill is mostly used for feeling proper weight transfer, a weight forward drill. I struggle with getting to far out on my toes when I putt. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I worked on my putting and pitching. 

Putting, I found I putt better the more I bend over at the waist. Still from time to time I struggle with the putter head going on a f'd up path. 

Pitching is getting much better. I still got to work on just fanning the club and pivoting better. I need to stop dragging the handle forward, and let the club glide more. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Does Edel make a putter that's twice in length from toe to heel? I think i need to double the sweet spot on the putter. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Does Edel make a putter that's twice in length from toe to heel? I think i need to double the sweet spot on the putter. 

Just soak it in honey for awhile.

Dang, out of honey :cry:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Dang, out of honey :cry:

Tape a dime to the center of the face. Hit it.

I played 9 holes tonight in my work league. 

I didn't shoot well. Mostly because I struggle in some recovery shot situations, and short game situations. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/925079

57% FIR
44% GIR
20% Scrambling
-1.86 Strokes Gained Putting

• -0.71 from 3-8 ft over 6 putts
  • -0.66 from 16-25 ft over 3 putts. That was because I left one of those putts 5 feet short of the hole. 

Grading my self. 

Driver: B- pretty solid for the most part. I just need to make sure I keep the backswing shorter and drive up those turn rates. 
Irons: B- when I got the opportunity to hit them I was decent. 
Pitching: C+ I had some really good ones and then a few crappy ones
Recovery Shots: F I duffed 3 punch shots
Putting: C+ Better, I need to work on my inside 10 feet putting
Game Planning: C  I need to readjust my aim on my tee shots knowing that I don't miss left now. Also not taking into account the wind hurt me on one shot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 10:26 PM, iacas said:

Tape a dime to the center of the face. Hit it.

Ok this was a good tip. I used a nickle, but it helped. I feel like I'm striking putts much better now. 

Pitching is getting there. Though I think the motion is still off. I struggle a ton out of the bunker right now. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag