IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

A good range session today. 

I like the feeling of getting my right shoulder, right side through better is working well. The back issue probably helped me on this. I don't want to kill the ball so it's easier to do this better. :-D

This move works really well with the distance wedges. 

Pitching went really well. I was hinging the club a tad more and focusing on the belly/torso turn. Also not being afraid to use some speed. Probably having two weeks of cleared my head of stupid shit. ;)

The only bad spot was the driver. Really the only club now I feel the bad inward swing path and chicken wings left arm at the finish. I'm going to try give the driver a more distance wedge swing. Feel more a 3/4 distance wedge back swing, then hit with the right side. I tried this a few times near the end and it worked out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

A good range session today. 

I like the feeling of getting my right shoulder, right side through better is working well. The back issue probably helped me on this. I don't want to kill the ball so it's easier to do this better. :-D

This move works really well with the distance wedges. 

Pitching went really well. I was hinging the club a tad more and focusing on the belly/torso turn. Also not being afraid to use some speed. Probably having two weeks of cleared my head of stupid shit. ;)

The only bad spot was the driver. Really the only club now I feel the bad inward swing path and chicken wings left arm at the finish. I'm going to try give the driver a more distance wedge swing. Feel more a 3/4 distance wedge back swing, then hit with the right side. I tried this a few times near the end and it worked out.

All good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another good range session today. Though I was hitting the irons like 1-2 grooves too thin. They would be halfway decent "Thin to Win" shots on the course. I just need to do the right side better. Those swings could have been too long. 

I like trying to make A3 backswing feels. Taking a slightly slower backswing helps as well. It looks like focusing on turning with the right shoulder, right side is working well for the downswing. 

Another thing I practice is trying to hit partial iron shots to the 125 and 150 flags with different irons. I really have to focus on the backswing length and drive the downswing with my turn to hit a good partial iron shot. 

The driver was much better today. I've added taking a practice backswing to A3. I will take my stance and then make a practice backswing to A3. Then re-align to the ball, and then proceed to hit the shot. This seems to help in trying to reproduce that shorter swing. Not sure if this is something to take onto the course, but it seems to help a lot on the range with controlling my backswing length. 

Pitching is going good. Still focusing on not looking up too soon, and making sure to pivot with the belly/torso. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I played 18 today. I shot a 75 (+5), 73.5 Course Rating. https://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/1582698

I basically did this before all my non-short game shots. 

On 5/14/2017 at 6:42 PM, saevel25 said:

I've added taking a practice backswing to A3. I will take my stance and then make a practice backswing to A3. Then re-align to the ball, and then proceed to hit the shot.

It seemed to work out really well. I hit some irons shots that I never hit that well before. These came from the swings where I did a pretty good partial backswing, then really did my right shoulder / Right side through impact downswing piece good. The power felt effortless on those shots. 

My short game was a C+. I had one bad short game shot where I dipped my knees and just went under the ball. I knew it right when I felt the knees dip on me. There is no saving it at that point, the club head is right around knee height at that time. I also hit some really good pitch shots today as well. 

My putting was very good in distance control, it was C grade in reading the greens. Nothing made outside of 10 FT. 

The driver was better. I did the same thing with my irons as did with my driver. It worked out pretty well. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 minute ago, Hardspoon said:

Oh, just a casual 75 coming back from an injury...NBD.  :-\

Good to see you're back!

Not to say I wish a nasty back spasm on anyone. BUT! It did cause me to be careful with how I swung the club the past few weeks at the range. That helped me find the feel of turning the right side through better than I ever did in the past. It was really serendipitous. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'll say keep in mind my lower left back has been tight till I took two alieve before going out to play 9 holes. 

I struggled to do my swing feels well. It was a big struggle to get my right shoulder/side through better. My driver caught that pull hook bug. My short game was a C, enough not to hurt me, not good enough to give easy par putts. 

I'll hit the range this weekend sometime. I need more reps doing my right side stuff better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
On 5/14/2017 at 6:42 PM, saevel25 said:

Pitching is going good. Still focusing on not looking up too soon, and making sure to pivot with the belly/torso. 

Good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I went to the range today. Good thing is the back loosens up after I swing a for a while. :)

The irons swing is halfway decent. I like that I can stop the swing pre-parallel. The swing does get shallow to steep too much for my liking. My butt comes off the wall too much. I struggled to get my right side through as much as I would like. 

This swing is bad. Just bad. I struggle so much to shorten this swing. I got the swing to parallel at one point, but that felt like I swung the club back to waist high. It felt so strange that I heel pulled the ball so bad. I don't know where this stand upright shit comes from in my swing. :~(

A7-Driver.jpg

On the bright side, I had a good pitching session today. I am getting more confident there. I need to make sure I take it to the course. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I took a trip up to Erie today. I need to add a bit more laying off the club at A4 to what I am doing. Continue on keeping the backswing shorter, and getting the right side through better, 

Short game work was better. Keep working on pivoting through with belly/torso speed. Also, just work on a variety of shots. 

A lot of my work is on distance shots. Taking a few clubs more and working on controlling by backswing better. What helped here was taking a slower backswing. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Had a better range session today. I worked on a few things. 

1. Gripping the club more open. It lets me swing aggressive with my right side.

2. Keeping the back swing shorter.

3. Flatten the club at A3-A4. This helps with letting me confidently hitting with the right side better. 

I find I get two swing faults. Not the right side through enough and having my head tip back. Which is related to my right side stuff. 

My driver was coming around. I need really focus more on the back swing flattening and shortening. Then more swing outwards at the ball as I get my right side through. If I don't I hit heel cuts or pull draws. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)
On 6/25/2013 at 8:58 AM, saevel25 said:

Visualization is a powerful tool. i've been practicing hitting shots to the right of an old golf shaft i have. I put it in the ground about 15-20 feet infront of my golf ball, down my target line. So when i am on the course, i decided to visualize that there, line up to it, and then really feel like i push that ball right of that visualization. For the 3 shots i did that, i hit perfect push draws. To bad for two of them, i rode the wind with the draw and overcooked the shot, both iron shots flew 10-12 yards farther than needed. Nothing like watching a perfect visualized shot track towards the pin on a par 3 just to have it fly the green, man that was dissappointing.

It also gave me focus, and got my head out of my golf swing, big plus :)

That is one of my personal favorites. I use an alignment stick and hit to the right of it. It seems to be a fairly easy one to carry to the course. I know this is an old post, but it is a really good drill

I really enjoy the detail of you swing thread. It makes for a good read for nerds like myself...haha

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

1 hour ago, TN94z said:

That is one of my personal favorites. I use an alignment stick and hit to the right of it. It seems to be a fairly easy one to carry to the course. I know this is an old post, but it is a really good drill

I really enjoy the detail of you swing thread. It makes for a good read for nerds like myself...haha

Not sure I would be reading much of the earlier stuff. ?

Note that a lot of the stuff I post is not for general use. I've worked with a handful of feels to try to fix the same issues. I'm finally seeing some good results with most recent post. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure I would be reading much of the earlier stuff. ?

Note that a lot of the stuff I post is not for general use. I've worked with a handful of feels to try to fix the same issues. I'm finally seeing some good results with most recent post. 

It was just the first post that popped up when I clicked on the thread. I understand. I'm very picky about what I choose to incorporate into my swing, but I do find certain things here and there that make me experiment with a feel or something. Nothing major. I just enjoy reading through the swing thread journey and seeing progress videos.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

A good short game session. Practiced a lot variety of shots, trying stuff out. 

Long game was better. Distance wedge type shots are better. Driver is better. Worked on keeping it shorter, and flatter.

Putting has started to get a bit iffy. I noticed that I was taking the club face back closed and inside. I was hitting some heel pushy putts. I tried taking the putter back less in and fan it a tad open in the back stroke. Hoping that will Make me not do the heely push. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

(edited)

Not a particularly good range session today. I got into a bad groove of just mishitting shots, I would just hit a fat shot every few shots. I struggled more tonight with my right side than the other day. 

Struggling to flatten the club at A3.5 to A4 with out sending the clubhead way inward at A2 (just something I noticed in video when I am working on it). Still struggling with the club getting steep in transition. 

Driver is a mess. God that move from A5-A7 is terrible. I got no feeling at all with trying to get my right side through. It would be nearly impossible if I stand UPRIGHT! 

Pitching is still going good.
Putting was better today. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Still struggling with the right side piece. I feel like I fire it through, but I know I'm stalling and dipping down in the downswing. I'm hitting some thin shots (half normal height, feels flipping). I'm also hitting some shots way out on the toe. Like almost missing the ball. 

I'm going to try to get the club head less inside at A2. I might go back the feel of my chest pointing away from the target more at A3. It might help me feel like I need to turn my right side. A few shots at the end were much more solid with this feel. 

Putting is getting better. Fanning the face open a bit on the back swing and not letting the putter head get too inward has helped. Also feeling like I don't need to force the putter path. I have a tendency to hit putts low on the on the face and near the equator. Letting gravity work more and not feeling like I am dragging the hands forward through impact has helped with contact. 

Pitching  is better. Chipping I need to stop forcing the path like my putting. I need to keep being aggressive. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag