IGNORED

Putting - looking at the hole, not the ball

Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have putted looking at the hole. I tried it again the other day  on some longer putts. Distance wise it worked pretty well for me. Ironically for me, although I can putt really well on the practice green using this method, I can't take it to the actual greens, on shorter putts,  for a better score. I think the reason it  does not work well for me on shorter putts is the way I practice rolling a straight putt. I will lay a dime on the green about 18" in front of the ball, on a level part of the practice green. I then practice rolling the ball over that dime. If I can hit that dime, I have rolled a straight putt. By looking at the hole on the shorter putts, I don't have that spot in front of the ball to roll it over.

The other problem is that sometimes the hole is not the actual aim point because of the the green not being level between the ball and the hole.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I received this tip a long time ago from a teaching pro .... helped me so that putting is the best part of my game. ...... As you know, golf is a mental game, so it's OK to play mental games.  There's something about rolling a little ball, not only on the right line, but the right speed where it'll get there just in time to drop into a hole.  -  That's a lot to think about.  What he told me is that it's easier to "Hit" something..  He suggested that instead of a hole you have to mentally come up with an equation that will drop the ball into the hole, you pretend that instead of a hole, it's a "Pole".  It's so much easier to roll the ball and hit a pole sticking out of the green.  He demonstrated this to me by putting 3 balls in a row, 7 feet from the hole. ....  I sunk one and missed 2 (both short)...  Then he put his Coke Cup into the hole where the majority of the cup was sticking up and out of the hole.... He said I should forget the hole, and try and "hit the cup".....  3 more balls, same distance - I hit the coke cup 3 times.  Not one ball was short, and had I missed the coke cup, they would have been about 2 feet past.  So everytime I stand up to a putt, instead of thinking how fast do I need to hit it to have it just roll into the hole, I think about hitting that pole that's sticking out of the green..

It does me well, and it's the way I've taught my 2 hdcp son...    Just a thought...

Rick

I think looking at the hole naturally makes you follow through with your stroke. Try looking at the ball and following through with your stroke. You may find similar or better results than looking at the ball.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I have used this method for a while and notice a few things that help for consistency. Here is my routine...

-Stand behind the ball and get a feel for the break.
-Make a few practice putts while looking at the putter to get the feel of hitting on that line.
-Choose the smallest object on/in the hole I can identify and focus on it for a few seconds so the subconscious can make all the calculations.

-Shoot.

I notice that this helps me, but I'm borrowing the concepts from years of shooting a gun so maybe it's not correct.

I use the eyes looking at the line/hole as a drill. I believe it makes one less ball aware and results in a more relaxed putting stroke. Do it without looking at ball a few times, then take a normal stroke. See if you de-emphasize the ball awareness.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 4 weeks later...

Over the past several years I have developed a bad case of the putting yips and have tried different grips and putters and etc, mostly with little success.   The Long putter was a pretty good alternative but I never got too good with anchoring it.  It didn't work to badly un-anchored but wasn't very consistent with it.   Out of desperation  I have been trying the Look at the Hole or Target method and it is working decently early on, especially on putts out to about 10 or 12 feet so far.   Should get a better feel for it with some hours of practice.  Not making every short putt of course but making 50% of 5 footers is a lot better than 20 percent or worse.  The best thing about looking at the hole is that it relaxed my hands,  straightaway,  a HUGE  plus for someone with the yips.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

Over the past several years I have developed a bad case of the putting yips and have tried different grips and putters and etc, mostly with little success.   The Long putter was a pretty good alternative but I never got too good with anchoring it.  It didn't work to badly un-anchored but wasn't very consistent with it.   Out of desperation  I have been trying the Look at the Hole or Target method and it is working decently early on, especially on putts out to about 10 or 12 feet so far.   Should get a better feel for it with some hours of practice.  Not making every short putt of course but making 50% of 5 footers is a lot better than 20 percent or worse.  The best thing about looking at the hole is that it relaxed my hands,  straightaway,  a HUGE  plus for someone with the yips.

Another experiment to become less ball conscious, as Dave Stockton advises, is to look at a spot on your line just in front of the ball. Focus on that spot and you will be less conscious of the ball.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Another experiment to become less ball conscious, as Dave Stockton advises, is to look at a spot on your line just in front of the ball. Focus on that spot and you will be less conscious of the ball.

Right.  I have tried this tip as well and it too relaxes the hands.   It might work better than looking at the hole but I haven't been able to get used to it, will work on it some more though.  I also read somewhere that Ben Crenshaw looked out in front of the ball a couple inches or something.  Will try it some more on shorter putts to start with.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

Note: This thread is 3494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!