IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's quite true. Swings don't lie. I would challenge anyone who says they hit it 300 to show us the swing.

Even the low handicaps?

WITB;
R9; Tour Issue Aldila DVS R flex
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood
Mp-60 4-PW KBS Tour R Stiff
MP series 51, 56, 60 Squareback No. 2. DT So/Lo

That's quite true. Swings don't lie. I would challenge anyone who says they hit it 300 to show us the swing.

Swings definitely don't lie and I don't mean this as to be offensive but one would argue that your swing is quite a bit off in many aspects (from the video I saw). It's a good general idea to go by but some , like yourself, have swings that are bit odd so its hard to perfectly assess their game by their swing. Perfect example being Jim Furyk but he's quick to compensate for his weird back swing, could be true for others.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Swings definitely don't lie and I don't mean this as to be offensive but one would argue that your swing is quite a bit off in many aspects (from the video I saw). It's a good general idea to go by but some , like yourself, have swings that are bit odd so its hard to perfectly assess their game by their swing. Perfect example being Jim Furyk but he's quick to compensate for his weird back swing, could be true for others.

You make a very good point. However, the power moves are always the same. Granted there are several power moves, but they are easily recognized. No matter how strange the swing looks, we will be able to tell what their power move(s) consist of, and give a fairly accurate estimate of their distance.

WITB;
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood

You make a very good point. However, the power moves are always the same. Granted there are several power moves, but they are easily recognized. No matter how strange the swing looks, we will be able to tell what their power move(s) consist of, and give a fairly accurate estimate of their distance.

you're right, i was speaking more on general swing consistency which doesn't always equate to distance.

you're right, i was speaking more on general swing consistency which doesn't always equate to distance.

Ah. I see.

Well, I suppose we'll just have to be more meticulous with our dissection ;)

WITB;
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood

Perhaps, but I also am not claiming to hit the ball 300 yards, I'm claiming to hit it around 240-250 on average, and if I really catch one, 280. That's where the difference lies. I'm honest with myself. I know my swing is not very good, it has too much lateral movement, and my backswing is quirky (I don't break my wrists till the top of the backswing).

I do, however, hit down on the ball, with my hands ahead of it. That's what matters.

Perhaps, but I also am not claiming to hit the ball 300 yards, I'm claiming to hit it around 240-250 on average, and if I really catch one, 280. That's where the difference lies. I'm honest with myself. I know my swing is not very good, it has too much lateral movement, and my backswing is quirky (I don't break my wrists till the top of the backswing).

Well, though it goes without saying, I can definitely believe you have the ability to catch one 280. While your backswing is indeed quirky with lateral movement, your hips are still clearing enough and you are hitting down on the ball, which leads to compression.

That's one down. Next. Truth- 1 Bullshit- 0 That's one down. Next?

WITB;
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood

Well, though it goes without saying, I can definitely believe you have the ability to catch one 280. While your backswing is indeed quirky with lateral movement, your hips are still clearing enough and you are hitting down on the ball, which leads to compression.

The lateral movement is why my handicap took at little rise. After I hurt my leg, I kept playing, and made compensations. That was a

bad idea. The swing I posted a few months ago was the compensated swing, which was almost all upper body, and no hip thrust. I'm working that movement out of the swing day by day. I also found I can clear my hips without hurting my leg as long as I keep the flex in both knees all the way, even after the finish. BTW, my backswing is very unusual, but it actually helps me maintain the lag, because my hands are so passive, that they hinge on their own. I did it that way because my wrists used to take over, so that just seemed to work for me. It's never really caused me problems. Another quirk I want to get rid of, is that I lift my head right as the swing starts so I can better get my shoulders under it. I think I do this because it hurts my eyes to keep it that high at address, but I don't know. You know how it is, another day, another fault to fix. BTW, few people truly understand compression. It's so important to compress the ball and the driver face to get maximum smash factor. That's why hitting it 300 yards is so hard, you have to compress both. I truly compress maybe 2-4 of 10 drives a round. I need to work on getting that number up.

The lateral movement is why my handicap took at little rise. After I hurt my leg, I kept playing, and made compensations. That was a

Then I'd say keep doing what you're doing. While it make not look as good as someone else's, your score certainly will. And unless I am misunderstanding golf, the score is what matters. ;)

WITB;
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood

BTW, few people truly understand compression. It's so important to compress the ball and the driver face to get maximum smash factor. That's why hitting it 300 yards is so hard, you have to compress both. I truly compress maybe 2-4 of 10 drives a round. I need to work on getting that number up.

This is very true. Very. Very true. I'm fortunate that I can compress the ball almost all the time, but I still have those weird little mishits where and I don't and the ball goes NOWHERE.

WITB;
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood

Then I'd say keep doing what you're doing. While it make not look as good as someone else's, your score certainly will. And unless I am misunderstanding golf, the score is what matters. ;)

True, although I've always been self conscious about it. I've done it both ways, tand he swing that looks better required more timing on my part, and I just couldn't stay consistent with it. I've had several instructors say to just let it be, and worry more about the position of the hands relative to the shoulders, which does become a problem for me. The late wrist hinge actually allows me to get the club back more behind my back, and less over my head, which I really need to focus on.

Yes, I see how the timing is hard. It's my weakness. Haha. If what you're doing works, screw what people say about the way it looks.

Whose swing will be posted next?

WITB;
2007 Burner 3 and 5 wood

• Administrator
I do, however, hit down on the ball, with my hands ahead of it. That's what matters.

BTW, few people truly understand compression.

Shanks, I mean this in a helpful way:

Flip! And your left elbow was bent at impact too. It's okay to some extent (particularly when the ball is on the tee) but it's inconsistent to time it. The most consistent is going to be a straighter left arm. You'll also benefit from a drill I'm going to post later...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shanks, I mean this in a helpful way:

Yes, I'm working on that. It causes me to come way up off the ball and hit it thin whenever I work on it, so I've been having to work it down slowly. I try to get my arms out there, but it ends up feeling very armsy and hard to coordinate, so I need to find a way to get that right. A drill will help I'm sure. Since I'm just coming off injury, I'm working on getting my body action right again first.

As to the left arm, that may just have to stay that way due to rheumatoid arthritis. I can barely straighten the arm as it is, and having it straight at impact is very painful. I did for a few months do it, but I had lots of trouble. I might take another shot at it though.

Yes, I see how the timing is hard. It's my weakness. Haha. If what you're doing works, screw what people say about the way it looks.

naturally, i think you should post yours next :)

• 2 weeks later...
I drive the ball minimum a minimum of 350 yards each time. Typically I'll have to carry back up drivers because I tend to cave in the faces frequently. If the wind is at my back and I the fairway is hard, I could hit one as long as 400...

Very thrue. so much b.s about distance on here, 15 handicaps talking about 250-280 average! pull the other one. As you say most players do not seem capable of calculating their average distance, probable seems to stem from the same problem in calculating Penis length in that longer is always better lol

You've been golfing for 2 yrs with a hc of 30, hmmm I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that you hit your drive 250-280 yds

I would have to agree! I feel like I'm a pretty good all around golfer and if I hit it 250, I'm extremely happy! And has we know distance doesn't matter. I golf with a guy that can rountinly outdrive me by 20-30 yards yet I routinly beat him by 10 strokes!! It's the second shot that matters.

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

I average about 360-400 yds off the tee. Of course I yell "POWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" in my follow through, so I think that adds about 150 yds to my drives.

FT-5 driver
Fybrid 3 Wood
Idea Tech A4OS 3&4 hybrids
Idea Tech A4 Forged 5-LW
588 DSG 56 wedge Carolyne putter Grom bag

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!