IGNORED

Find a Ball on the Course? LEAVE IT THERE!

Bastid
Note: This thread is 5142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't picked up a 'stray' golf ball on the course in about 3 years. If it's not mine... I don't want it. I play a single kind of ball (Callaway Warbird Plus) and even if I find a Pro v1... I don't want it. My shag bag consists of balls I've retired... and a few strays that others have found and tossed on my side of the cart. I've played with guys who will pick up anything... no matter where it is.

Last year, in the club championship final match, I hit a shot that rattled around in some trees that separated the 1st and 2nd holes (this was the 28th hole overall - 1st hole on the 4th course). I saw where it hit the trees, and I knew that it wouldn't be difficult to find. Of course, to be safe, I hit a provisional... since it was a provisional, of course I striped it. Anyway... as I was walking towards where my ball SHOULD have been... I see a guy coming down the 2nd hole. Now... I'm walking around looking everywhere, and this guy is only a few yards away, so I asked him if he saw a ball anywhere. He said yeah, I just found a Callaway up there a bit. I asked where, and he pointed towards a spot up about 10 yards. Then he and his buddy started laughing. Finally, one of the other guys in the group said that the guy PICKED UP a ball from that spot.

Now I'm pissed because the guy picked up my ball and is laughing about it. I asked why he would do that... and he just shrugged. He tossed the ball at me and told me, in a not-so-nice way to go enjoy my time... the guy who pointed out that he picked up the ball came over and placed the ball where he thought it was and apologize for the other guy. I ended up saving bogey on that hole and got a halve.

Since then... I've told everybody I play with to leave balls alone if they aren't deep in the woods or sitting in hazards. It's frustrating to have to deal with that type of garbage.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't pick up golf balls........it isn't mine, I didn't earn it, I didn't pay for it.......truth be told, I don't even like playing with folks that whip out their ball picker at every water hole......and as someone already said, I try to play the same type of balls so I get more consistency around the greens....

Realistically, the guys that try to steal or play your golf balls don't belong to this site......for the rare few that do, most aren't gonna post up that they will steal a ball close to theirs, play the ProV, and drop their Slazenger

I haven't picked up a 'stray' golf ball on the course in about 3 years. If it's not mine... I don't want it. I play a single kind of ball (Callaway Warbird Plus) and even if I find a Pro v1... I don't want it.

I'm exactly the same haha! We even play the same ball, Warbird Plus, and I love that ball. I agree playing the same ball gives you some kind of consistency.

Pro V1's are too expensive for me. If I played with a Pro V1 it'd feel like a sacred ball and if I lost it I think I'd cry.

Ben

I do not agree with the public course comment. I have been very fortunate to play some very VERY nice private courses and while the etiquette has been quite consistent, there are issues in other areas. One being the whole elitist mentality with some, not all, that I absolutely cannot stand. Conversely, at public courses, you have other issues i.e. what this thread was originally started about. Overall in the big picture, I think it all balances out when you look at it. Also, golf is a game that is based on honesty (scoring your own game and calling penalities on yourself) and generally, the golfing experience is one that I prefer over many other sports. A couple of bad apples at a public course doesn't warrant the assumption that all people at public courses are a certain way.

Quick story - a couple of years ago, my buddy and I went to play at a public course here in Toronto. He was leaving for paris that afternoon and we played in the moring to celebrate his trip with his soon to be wife. After the round, we got in his car to go home, 5 mintues into the drive, he realizes that he can't find his wallet which has his life (his flight is in 6 hours!). We race back to the clubhouse and guess what, someone in the parking lot found his wallet and brought it to the front desk (everything still in it, cards and approx $200). Moral of the story, nice people don't only exist at a private courses; they can also be found at a everyday public course!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

if the course costs me $45 bucks a round and i lose a $4 dollar golf ball...i still save over $200 bucks NOT playing a course with you...hmm...choices...

Assuming you even had $245 dollars in your pocket and a $4 dollar ball to begin with, than yes, yes you would

Pro V1's are too expensive for me. If I played with a Pro V1 it'd feel like a sacred ball and if I lost it I think I'd cry.

Exactly. $4 a ball is just too much for me. I'd probably have to buy a dozen Top Flite's or something to use on holes w/ a carry over water or I'd tense up when I had to hit that shot. The Warbird Plus runs me $16.99 a dozen here and I've only used 2 sleeves through 4 rounds this season. Last year (early in the year) I would routinely use a sleeve or more per round. At $12 a sleeve... my round of golf wouldn't be such a bargain anymore.

Anyway... I used to caddy at a private course. I think I caddied for more people who sucked and lost balls than I have EVER seen at a public course. They THINK they're good... but when you're losing a ball every other hole (WITH a forecaddie) because you're blowing it OB and then at the end of the round, your scorecard shows an 80... you're playing by your own rules. And... I spent 5+ hours on a loop with guys who would dive off into the woods seeking stray balls... so - no... the country club argument doesn't work for me. MOST of the guys I see bangin' around in the woods at public courses are actually rangers there who are (put on your shocked face) not doing their jobs! Any time I speak with a ranger and look in his cart... he's got a ball picker in the back... and a basket full of dirty, stray balls along with it. I've played with a few rangers... those guys can't spot their own ball in the middle of the fairway... but if there is a stray ball within 100 yards in 4 inch tall rough - they see it. CY

Career Bests

There is a difference in attitude depending upon where you play. The truth is you had better keep a close eye on your ball when you're playing a crowded low cost muni whereas at a more upscale course (public or private) a ball will often stay in place until the mowers come along and have to move it. I'm a member of the local muni and I always mark my ball. Not only because it helps identify it in my group, but also because I can use that to point out to any ball hawks that the ball is undeniably mine. On a crowded course misunderstandings happen, but sometimes guys are ball hawks and if they think they can get away with swiping a decent ball they will.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Assuming you even had $245 dollars in your pocket and a $4 dollar ball to begin with....

You're kind of a douche, aren't you? If you're post was meant to be clever/funny... try taking the word EVEN out of there, it'd sound much less snarky and elitist.

CY

Career Bests

You're kind of a douche, aren't you? If you're post was meant to be clever/funny... try taking the word EVEN out of there, it'd sound much less snarky and elitist.

When you can learn the correct use of "you're and your" and not sound like a hillbilly, I might take your advise, Also I'm no douche, sir, I'm a full on bastard

When you can learn the correct use of "you're and your" and not sound like a hillbilly, I might take your advise, Also I'm no douche, sir, I'm a full on bastard

Well, maybe you should learn the correct spelling of "advice" before criticizing someone's grammar.

* advice (somewhere amidst the incorrect punctuation - including a couple comma splices)

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Ooops... your right. I think you're grammar is much better than mines is. Your much more better edumacated than I is. (Better... ? And yes, I know it's all backwards...)

Good catch. And, I caught your typo (purposeful or not) right away... just saw the post now though. CY

Career Bests

Havn't had anybody play my ball, but had a guy I play with snag a ball from my car. We were pulling up to the course(I gave him a ride)and I had the ball I used the day before in the console and was planning on using it to start with. I go ti pick it up and low and behold its gone... we get to the putting green and I say "what ball are you playing" so i would know what to look for. the response I hear is "Callaway #3". THE EXACT SAME BALL I HAD THE DAY BEFORE. He claimed I gave it to him...and by giving it to him he meant he stole it. lol Now I know to keep my balls out of his view. lol

I only play courses that are 30 dollars or less, as to avoid all of the arrogant bastards that think that they are better than everyone else.

Also, as has already been stated, if you're going to call someone out on their grammar, you better be sure you spell adviCe correctly. Otherwise, even if the gramatical errors were intentional, it makes you look stupid and uneducated. That combined with your incredible douchebag-ness is a pretty lethal combination of obnoxiousness.

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
Halo 19 Degree Hybrid Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

Note: This thread is 5142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!