IGNORED

How do you like to get around the course?

niblick
Note: This thread is 5902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you like to get around the course?

• ride in a power cart
    • walk and use a push/pull cart
    • walk and carry
    • walk with caddie

I've made a conscious effort to find an answer to this question, which way is more enjoyable for me?

I really believed that walking a course was the only way to have the pure experience but have come to the conclusion that I prefer to use a cart, why . . . when I walk I usually need to be in a hurry to keep up the pace of play and am walking briskly and don't feel a sense of unhurried leisure.

In the cart I can drive from one side of the fairway to the other, help others look for the balls, get the ball quickly and then just sit there taking the ambiance in and also drive at different speeds. I like to cruise slowly and just look all around at the trees, bushes, flowers, etc. flowing smoothly by. Plus some of the courses I play mandate cart only, so that settles it.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding until recently. I walked 9- Friday, 9 at the par-3 with my wife Saturday, 9- at the par-3 Sunday and 18 after that Sunday. I walked 9 after work yesterday and am probably done for the week judging by the weather. It's surprising how much better I do when walking versus riding a cart. Who knew?

I prefer to walk and carry. I'm still capable and healthy enough to do it (and hopefully for the next 40 years), which I know others are not. My dad, a former US Marine, always told me to never take the easy way out when you know that there is always someone less fortunate. I saw an elderly gentleman of maybe 70 years old carrying his stand bag during a round of 18 on a hot and very humid day. That was all the excuse I needed to never think twice about it.

Unfortunately, most of the courses near me mandate that you take a cart. It's unfortunate, but the way the courses are laid out, it would take 6 or 7 hours just to walk it.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

• 3 weeks later...
I prefer to walk with a caddy but can't find one anymore.
Since using the gps on the carts at Walden Ponds I'm hooked. I just try to drive slow so the round last longer. Also the cup holder is a good tool and the baskets work well to hold my snacks and camera.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Walking gives you enough time between shots to calm down if you've screwed it up. I also find I enjoy walking a lot more when I've made a great shot. You enjoy the scenery and everything else out there a lot more.
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

I prefer walking but, as mentioned above, not many of the courses around me allow it. I guess that's one of the prices I must pay to play year-round.

Chris
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

Walking is best. Breath in the fresh air take in the countryside notice the wildlife, "tune out" all the problems of life for a few hours. That's really the whole point as far as I'm concerned.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Walking. Hands down! I have a Sun Mountain 3 wheel push cart that's awesome. The mens league i play in has the power cart price built in, so nobody walks (more time for beer that way) but walking is definately the way to go. You have time to relax while walking (also too much time to analyze) and really get to see the course much better, i think.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

Walk and carry for me. I will certainly use a caddie, if any show up.

On w/e (cart required) my clubs ride. I still walk...

Bag?
Titleist
975L-FE 8.5*
975F 14.5*
975F 18.5*DCI Gold 2-PW Vokey 200 60*Never CompromiseZ/1 Delta 2NXT Spheres

I prefer to walk, but on the weekends its hard to do. But I sometimes play a short par 54 course that is walking only.

Driver: King Cobra SS
Woods: Nicklaus 3, 5, 7
Irons: Nicklaus Iron Max
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Odyssey White HotBall: Titleist NXT Tour or GranZHome course: Dogwood Country Club

Walking with a push cart is the only way for me. If I ride I never seem to loosen up and so it seems I score better when I walk
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Walk and Carry!!!
Fatigue is still part of the game, guys!!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

• 3 weeks later...
I originally voted either cart or walking with a pull-cart but I've changed and now prefer to carry my bag. It's better exercise and for some reason I play better that way. Being a big guy walking 18 carrying is a pretty good workout for me.

I play better if I walk. I voted to walk and carry because that is what I can do. If it was possible, I would obviously prefer a caddie.

Walking, even at a faster pace than most, helps keep my mind in the game and gives me them few extra seconds to get ready for the next shot. I hate not being able to take the direct path to my ball, that is why I carry instead of using a push/pull cart.

Plus it slows me down a little. It takes me, on average, 2 hourse and 45 minutes to walk a full round by myself. Faster, if I am in a cart. If I walk and run into traffic, I can at least slow down my pace or take a detour and shag a bit.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

I prefer not to waste a perfectly good walk by driving.

But it seems like most course managers want their cart money, and fewer and fewer courses are allowing walking.

-catfell
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I do a bit of both walking and riding. Although, last year there was a slight problem with walking because mosquitoes were prominent throughout the course. I bought a nice push cart and plan to do more walking this year.
The sticks:
Driver: r5 10.5° Stiff N
3 wood: 980f 15°
Irons: RAC OS 4-9
Wedges: 48° & 56°, SV 60°Putter: TracyBall: NXT Tour

My original vote was walk and use a push cart. But after having some wrist problems in the fall I started carrying my bag and although there is just a bit more fatigue at the end I feel I got a bit more exercise. I may switch to a 3.5 pound bag instead of my current 5 pound Ogio.

I really don't like to ride, unless it is one of those courses where the next tee is a quarter mile from the green. But the last couple of times out walking was not an option and I was amazed how much easier riding is on my out of shape body.

Note: This thread is 5902 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!