IGNORED

Shaft Flex as Seen on Camera (Photos or Video) - Rolling Shutter Illusion

Note: This thread is 2850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a great explanation and visual on this:

EXCELLENT! Thanks for posting.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Not to bang on you but why try to answer the question when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about? Other posts on this board clearly show that this 100% an illusion caused by the camera but yet you still jump in with all these "maybe" this, " maybe' that. He almost took your advice to his own detriment until he saw the light with the video. Golfers all need to understand that these questions have objective answers. Once he identified his swing speed, it is easy to recommend a shaft type as manufacturers as there are plenty of charts based on scientific research to tell you what you should play. The suggestion that it was "casting" is beyond ludicrous as casting kills clubhead sped so has no chance of bending a shaft in any direction. Lots of great advice on this site, try not to crowd it out with random guesses and nonsense.

Originally Posted by Maverick

Here's a great explanation and visual on this:

Thanks for sharing....very informative!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 2 months later...

Hi - new golfer here (3 months).  I suck at golf (best score 111), but am really enjoying it.  Anyways,  I recorded some drives at home and was surprised at how much the shaft is bending.  I am battling a NASTY slice, and wonder if this is the cause.

swing.JPG shaft1.JPG shaft2.JPG

The club is a Nicklaus Airmax D-something that my dad got from a pawn shop. Shaft is Fuji-something stiff flex. I can occasionally hit a straight drive by tweaking the face angle, but i have to turn it a LOT.   I am just wondering if this is acceptable bend, or why slices are so extreme (I've tried tweaking swing path, etc, no luck)

Thanks for any relevant input

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Andisblue

Hi - new golfer here (3 months).  I suck at golf (best score 111), but am really enjoying it.  Anyways,  I recorded some drives at home and was surprised at how much the shaft is bending.  I am battling a NASTY slice, and wonder if this is the cause.

Thanks for any relevant input

I hope to have answered your questions by combining a few threads. Have a look back through and you'll get the answer several times. Your shaft isn't flexing anywhere near that much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these two pics. Looks like my speeder 757 X-stiff is bending too much on the downswing. The second one shows the clubhead bending back past the handle. My ball flight is solid in all my clubs including my 3 wood that has an Aldila NV X 85. I get sporadic flights with this driver. I'm a 4 handicap with a 115-120 mph swing. I haven't played in years but getting ready for tournament golf starting soon. I saw some ball flights today that left me perplexed.. I'd appreciate any input on whether I could be doing something wrong or this shaft is not suited for my swing. My wrists hinge late in the swing which I image could cause some whipping inertia. Still I'd expect the Speeder to be stiff enough.

Good news is I'm going to Titleist HQ soon to get fitted for a new driver. But I'd like to know what's happening here in these pics. Can a shaft lose its strength over time? Thanks!!

Ian

Speeder 757 x-stiff

In the first pic, based on a 115 mph swing, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

For the second pic, I actually saw this answer on some other similar threads I've seen on here ... it's not the shaft, it's the camera.  Some others can explain it in more detail, but rest assured, your shaft does not bend that way.

Yep, photographic distortion can make some things look all sorts of funny.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I believe it was explained previously that most digital camera sensors process the image top to bottom.  The time differential between this capture process allows the club to travel downward while the senor is capturing the image.

The more lag that is generated, the faster the clubhead is moving, the goofier the picture.  There is an similar image of Tiger out on the interwebs that is equally funny looking.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

• Administrator

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Merging these threads.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

My son has just started playing and I am a duffer at best.

I wanted to post a photo of his swing to see if anyone could help with advice on selecting proper shaft and offer any tips on his swing before we buy him a new set of clubs.I know he has some flaws but I am not a good enough golfer to give much advice.

The photo is with driver with stiff shaft.

He has what seems to be fast swing speed and hits the ball about 275 off tee but he slices.

thanks for any tips or advice !

Firewalker918 IMG958500.jpg

Videos:

• 2 weeks later...
When looking at my swing in slo-mo I was surprised to see how much flex there was in the shaft and more importantly the direction of the flex. I have been told this is normal but I am not sure. Can the pros here tell me what they are seeing.?[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/62a9cc83-fff5-883f.jpg[/IMG]

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Thanks for moving my post over to this thread. It clears it up completely. Now I can focus on my swing. (when is 5SK DVD coming out?)

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

• 1 month later...
I understand the rolling shutter effect, but I was wondering: - In these images that exhibit RS, if the frame rate for a camera is given (29.97, et al), are there equations that can still determine swing speed? I read the thread where SS was determined by calculations based on angles. Can the same be done with these images? - I also read that a user was quoted $125 for a Tracman analysis. I don't know if this is standard, but with the, 'swing speed analyzers aren't accurate at golf retailers' comments, I was curious how one might go about determining SS if the only tool they had was a camera that was plagued by the RS effect. - Is the difference in RS linear between a 30fps cam and a 60fps cam, or does the effect depend entirely on the camera given that both create a frame from top to bottom? - Does anyone know if there would be a difference in the result if a camera was shooting progressive as opposed to interlaced video? I have a cam that will shoot 24/30/60 progressive or 30i/60i (+/- the .03/.06 for the literal among us). It's an eng cam - (3) 1/2" ccd's, not cmos (that alone might make the difference). I don't want to haul the entire rig to the golf course if I'm going to get RS effect....I can get that on my iPad. Thanks in advance - LIA

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

• Administrator
Originally Posted by LovinItAll

- In these images that exhibit RS, if the frame rate for a camera is given (29.97, et al), are there equations that can still determine swing speed? I read the thread where SS was determined by calculations based on angles. Can the same be done with these images?

No. Framerate != shutter speed. And for that matter, shutter speed alone only tells us how long the sensor is exposed, not how long it takes to go from top to bottom.

No. Framerate != shutter speed. And for that matter, shutter speed alone only tells us how long the sensor is exposed, not how long it takes to go from top to bottom.

Thanks. Should have done some research and I would have answered my own questions. For anyone that cares: - Rolling Shutter isn't an effect, but rather the method by which an image is acquired by the sensor of a camera (this may have already been noted). Rolling shutter records the image to media one 'line' at a time, typically from left to right, top to bottom. In contrast, Global Shutter records the image to media as a single moment in time. - Most consumer grade cameras with CMOS sensors utilize rolling shutter. - Most cameras with CCD image sensors utilize Global Shutter to capture images. There are several inexpensive CCD cameras available for those interested. None of the above is to say that there aren't consumer grade CMOS-based cameras that will do an adequate job recording a golf swing for personal use. There may be - I don't know. In fact, CMOS-based cameras that can acquire video at high frame rates will reduce the effects of rolling shutter by virtue of sheer speed. Also, note that the method by which a camera acquires an image as explained above has nothing to do with a user's ability to replay footage in slow motion. How smoothly our perception of images replayed in slow motion is will be a result of how many frames per second were recorded initially. Gotta love that 6000fps video that's played back during PGA events.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Note: This thread is 2850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!