IGNORED

Nice courses in you area that allow jeans.

shades9323
Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like to know how many of you who think that jeans shouldn't be allowed on a golf course because it doesn't look "professional" wear a baseball hat on the course? Do you think a baseball cap looks professional?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know how many of you who think that jeans shouldn't be allowed on a golf course because it doesn't look "professional" wear a baseball hat on the course? Do you think a baseball cap looks professional?

A baseball cap doesn't look too bad and it covers up peoples bald patches!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Or in another case, the stupid looking painter's hat that some pros have adopted lately. Looks quite professional.... but only if you're a house painter.

I don't see that as any more appropriate on the golf course than jeans. Meaning that I don't see anything actually wrong with either.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are jeans or denim pants really that bad????? ;)

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I really don't mean to be condescending, but - WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL???

I am almost positive that NO ONE on the course cares what I look like on a Saturday morning round. Maybe I'm more oblivious than most other golfers, but I can't honestly remember even what my buddies have worn in the last few rounds, and I certainly don't remember what any other groups on the course were wearing.

I believe that tradition is very important, but, just as times and clothes styles have changed, so have what is acceptable attire in different situations. As a fairly young guy, slacks are my idea of "formal wear". That may not be the same as someone else's fashion standards - but, to me, the point of my comment is that the "no denim" rule may be considered obsolete.

As a side note, I think the cliche "that's what the pro's wear" is a fallacy, as well. I am no more a pro golfer than I am a pro baseball player, and we just wear sweats and T-shirts in my city softball league, not MLB-style uniforms.

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

I absolutely will not wear a baseball cap.

First, people who wear baseball caps are generally of the "other" persuasion, be it political, social, musical or whatever, and I don't want anybody thinking I'm one of them. (I know, none of you agrees with that even a little bit. Let's just say I don't drive a truck.)

Second, I haven't watched an inning of professional baseball since 1993, when the players showed they care more about money than playing in the World Series. I don't want to resemble a baseball player, period. I leave the room if baseball comes on a TV that I don't control.

Third, it's skin-cancer stupid. (Not just my opinion -- there was segment on TGC about it with a dermatologist.) Get a real hat that gets the sun off your face and keeps the rain off your neck.

Fourth, the tan cheeks and maggot pale foreheads of the pros creep me out when they take their hats off. They wouldn't have such tan cheeks and the horror of it all wouldn't be like an alien glowing-in-the-dark if they wore proper headgear. (The LEAST the PGA Tour could do for the world is force tour players to spend at least half an hour of their practice time hatless every day, to even things up a bit. This is an offense against civilization itself that goes far beyond bad taste in leg wear and begins to resemble the world of tattoos and body piercing. )

Fifth, if you put it on backwards without wearing a matching catcher's face guard, no laws should protect you from whatever harm befalls you.

I think those Swedish backward beret-like things that were the rage for a while are obscene.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I say no to Jeans, but that is my choice, I like the whole theatre of golf and getting my Stromberg Trousers, Nike Golf Shirt and Tour 360 shoes on is all part of what I consider "golf" my club does not allow Jeans on the course, anywhere else is fine as it is a resort, but by no means are my club or the members snobby, my club like many here in the UK believe that tradition is very important in golf (as do I) and trousers and collared shirt/t-shirt mean that there is not much deviation in what can be worn, other than colour (in my book if your good enough to wear pink trouser you crack on) now the same cannot be said for Jeans/Denim, as said before this is too wide a spectrum, in that a pair of tailored jean shorts may not look so bad, but a pair of Daisy Duke cuts offs will, as will a pair of combat pocketed jeans or Bon Jovi ripped ones, this in my book is not acceptable attire for golf, however that is my opinion and that is why I choose a course that has a dress code, if your opinion is that you want to wear jeans or denim then find a course where you can and enjoy your golf, after all does it really matter as long as you are happy where you are and playing golf?

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Are jeans or denim pants really that bad????? ;)

First 2 I agree are OTT but still conform to most Golf Course dress codes regardless of how OTT they are, the 3rd one IMHO looks great as long as you have the game to back it up, and Poulter certainly does

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

What the eff are you talking about?

I should have quoted shades9323: "I'd like to know how many of you who think that jeans shouldn't be allowed on a golf course because it doesn't look "professional" wear a baseball hat on the course? Do you think a baseball cap looks professional?" It's just an impression, I guess, and I'm sure BBallCaps are not quite as indicative of a person's personality as a paper clip in the eyebrow might be, but...sheesh, you expect me to KNOW what I'm talking about when the subject of baseball caps comes up? It's like shell shock! It's like a bad dream, when there's no World Series, and then you realize there IS no World Series this year! And all of those people with baseball caps probably still like baseball! And...and... I don't know.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I should have quoted shades9323: "I'd like to know how many of you who think that jeans shouldn't be allowed on a golf course because it doesn't look "professional" wear a baseball hat on the course? Do you think a baseball cap looks professional?"

So what you're saying is, you think this is 1994? You sound like a Rangers fan.

In Alberta, there are Edmonton Oilers fans who think it's 1987 and Calgary Flames fans who think it's 1989. You see a lot of Flames and Oilers on the golf course these days, but they aren't wearing jeans or baseball caps - they're in disguise.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This whole thread is an oxymoron. The answer is 0. Nice courses don't allow jeans, and if you disagree, then you and I disagree on our definition of "nice."

Besides, who wears jeans while doing ANYTHING remotely athletic? Denim isn't a great material, period. Wear some of the many wonderful new fabrics they've invented for people who are playing a SPORT.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

This whole thread is an oxymoron. The answer is 0. Nice courses don't allow jeans, and if you disagree, then you and I disagree on our definition of "nice."

Are you saying that Bethpage Black and Torrey Pines South aren't nice courses? Denim is a great material. The only downside for golf use is being a bit heavier and warmer than dress pants. They shouldn't hinder your swing at all. You make it sound like golf is all about running and jumping. Jeans would hinder that.

Are you saying that Bethpage Black and Torrey Pines South aren't nice courses?

He's saying he's never worn a pair of comfortable jeans, and being somewhat of a fashionista, he only wears high tech fabrics. Or, maybe he's differentiating between a great track and a "nice course".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He's saying he's never worn a pair of comfortable jeans, and being somewhat of a fashionista, he only wears high tech fabrics. Or, maybe he's differentiating between a great track and a "nice course".

I've never worn a pair of uncomfortable jeans!

Agree with Butch here.....denim isn't very flexible, and it just doesn't seem to fit golf at a nice course.....and trust me, I love a nice pair of jeans and will be the first one to sell my wife on the fact that they are dressy

Is it that hard to wear some slacks, or even just a pair of decent golf shorts???.....especially in Texas, wearing denim on a summer day on the golf course will put you in the hospital.....granted, for winter rounds with temps in the 40's, I'm inclined to be a bit more flexible....but if it's wet, denim soaks up the water and the cold.... As far as certain courses allowing it, there are plenty of things that are allowed or legal, but that doesn't mean they should be done.... My two cents...

I have to disagree with this comment. I fail to see how dress slacks that PGA pros wear are any more geared for athletic activity than jeans.

Maybe I am stereotyping myself here, but my other hobby is calf roping, and jeans are both essential for durability, and work very well for athletic movements (if they fit correctly). Besides, Butch, ask ANY rodeo cowboy if what they do is "remotely athletic" or not.

The stuff in my bag (i.e. The clubs that I haven't tossed in the pond. Yet.):

Driver: G15
Fariway Woods: Fybrid 5
Irons: Big Bertha Fusion 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson 56 and 60Putter: IN Wack-e

This discussion again? Really?

Ha! Indeed....

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!