IGNORED

See Ya Later Driver!

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One thing I've discovered about the driver is that it's about hitting good positions throughout the swing. That's a lot easier said than done for a lot of reasons. First off from what I've seen most of what we know about our swing is quite simply wrong. We think we're doing one thing when it's usually the opposite that's true. This is made worse with the driver more than any other club because the swing is longer, the turn is bigger, and the lenght of the club magnifies that even more. Combine that with the driver's low loft and the fact that you're usually swinging for the fences and the driver becomes the most unpredictable club in the average amature's bag. Occassionally we get lucky and hit good positions in the swing and knock one out there an incredible distance (275 or more yards). That just encourages us to keep at it all the while never realizing that the few times it works out is more due to luck than skill. Our lack of understanding is what keeps us from hitting the driver well and then even when we know what we should do being able to do it with the driver is still really hard.

I'm slowly gaining proficency with the driver, but it's taken me figuring out my own swing dynamics and understanding what I need to do to get myself in those good positions where I can then make good contact. It's taken a lot of frustration and wayward shots for me to even begin to realize what's going on with the driver, and part of this is knowing when to leave the driver in the bag. Finding a good instructor is one way to shorten this process, but in my experience finding a good teacher who can help you do that is almost as hard as figuring it out for yourself. Sad but true.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Good point, and I think that's about the limit. Most recreational golfers can't, really, hit the drive more than 220 yards, and with a course this long from the whites, they should pick a different set of tees. I read an interview with Judy Rankin where she said that if you can't hit a 7-iron in to some par 4s, you're playing from the wrong tees.

Maybe so but I'll be damned if I'll play from the ladies tees. I know, I know, we call them "forward tees" now but still. . .

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

• 3 months later...

I had my old driver reshafted, which ended up being in the shop for about 2 weeks. I was missing it, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I won 3 out of 4 competitions in that 2 week spell
Drivers are so fun though its hard to resist pulling out the big stick, Ive got a new driver and stupidly whack it on every tee...

I would advise leaving the driver at home if you have issues with it and its a competition, but if its a casual fun round then its always good fun to give it a go

G15 9* TFC 149D Stiff
R9 15* Fujikura Motore Regular
MP-57 3-PW
52*
Z TP 60* black series tour designs #2 34" Prov1 stratus stand bag

I have to use my driver on every Par 4 and 5's...simply because I can't drive the bloody ball any longer than 220,230 yds...LOL...

But it's interesting because I always tee off the white tee's, where my friends tee it up from the blues which are longer....I get laughed at, but where I only have a 7 iron left to the green, they'll be out with long irons, hybrids, etc....I get it on, they don't....and I usually walk away with a par...or bogey...and they bogey or worse...

And they go ' well we can do that too if we tee off from the whites '....

Ray

If your score is bogey or worse most of the time, you shouldn't be playing from the blues. I won't even consider the blues until I'm under 10. That's like people playing x-stiff who should be playing regular.

Since I started this thread, I figure I'll give an update on my driver situation. I didn't ditch the driver and have got better with it recently. First, I cut my driver down to 44" and regripped it with a bigger grip than the thin piece of junk that came on it originally. Much Much better. Also, I've been playing the fade off the tee and not trying to force a draw or straight ball. I am working on hitting a draw at the range, but on the course I start it left and fade it in. Funny thing about that is now that I'm playing that shot on purpose it's not cutting as severely as before and is getting more and more predictable. My miss is usually a pull now, but I'm hitting a lot more fairways. So, don't give up on your driver.

Funny thing is when I first started I only had a 3wood and i could hit it good like 1/3 times. Irons were terrible and chipping putting were ok. Then I got a driver and found it 100X easier to hit than my 3 wood.

Now 3 years later:
I hit a good drive like 2/3 times
Never use 3wood unless im just going to slapshot the ball and roll it 200 down the fairway
Hit my Irons Great
Suck at chipping
and am a poor putter -_-

Why does it always happen that when im getting GIR I make 12putts ><..
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

YOu have a TM Burner 3 Wood, but Nike Sumo driver.

Maybe try a TM Burner Driver with a similar shaft?

(oops, missed your update...well sounds like you have a solution)

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

My pro said that if you can get 220 into the fairway and hit your 9-iron 125 yards you have all the length you need. The driver really is an overrated club for recreational golfers. I might use mine half the time on par 4s and 5s.

Your pro has it totally wrong ...... at most holes it makes no sense..... golf is trying to make a par or better at every hole, the so called recreational golfer also wants to make as many pars as they can. With todays 460 cc Drivers about any recreational golfer can hit a 250 yds drive somewhere in the fairway, into the first or second cut, and hit maybe 120-150 yds with a iron afterwards, reaching most (and even 400 yds) par 4's in regulation ...... I am not saying that they will do ..... but it is possible and even a 20 - 36 capper can achieve this.

You will remember that par 4 you got a par or birdie ! Making par is part of the fun in golf and I feel no golfer likes it much knowing he is going for bogey or double bogey to play for, right from the tee. And at let's say hc 24 who cares ..... if your drivers flies off the fairway (mostly only a little bit .... with todays drivers), clump it out of the woods and send the next iron to the green, still making a bogey...... I rather play a 8 iron from the rough, than a 4 iron from the fairway to reach the green at the second shot. Just my $.02

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I think you did a VERY smart thing cutting your driver to 44". A lot of golfers think that the longer the driver, the longer the distance, which can be very much the opposite. For most people, shorter drivers will give you a more consistent impact and control.

Standard is 45.5" or something like that but I hear even Tiger played a 44.5" driver in his prime. I play a 46", but honestly, it's because it fits me and that's the key. Getting a driver that fits.

Also, there's a reason why distance is such a big deal in golf.

If you can hit your driver 240~250 straight on a 400 yard par four, you can grab a shorter/mid iron to reach 2 for a par.

If you hit your 3 wood straight 210~220, you have to basically hit another 3 wood or 5 wood to get on 2. The pure percentages that you will get a GIR is much higher with a good driver shot + short iron than a 3 wood + wood/iron.

Lastly, I think hitting a great drive long and straight is one of the most satisfying and refreshing shots in golf. Even if you're playing terrible a great drive can be a real confidence booster.
titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* titleist.gif 910F 13.5* 
titleist.gif 909H 17* titleist.gif AP2 710 3, 5-PW
vokey.gif Spin Milled 52*08| 56*11 | 60*07
taylormade.gif Rossa Classic Imola 8 AGSI

My pro said that if you can get 220 into the fairway and hit your 9-iron 125 yards you have all the length you need. The driver really is an overrated club for recreational golfers. I might use mine half the time on par 4s and 5s.

Those are exactly my numbers and I can tell you that such advice is not progressive. 250 yard drives are far, far more desirable than 220 fairway even if when you go 250 you spray it round a bit more. 220 just doesn't cut it- with a view to moving a handicap towards scratch that is. If you want to hover about a 10hc then its okay but i presume because a pro was advising you- you were looking to improve.

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!