IGNORED

Tiger WD's with neck injury (The Players)

acj990
Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually heard Jack breathe a sigh of relief this morning...that record is looking safer and safer with each passing day.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you say Eldrige Duval?

So sad. Oh well he can always be an underwear model.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Can you say Eldrige Duval?

Right, because "Eldrige", as you like to call him, has a career that really parallels that of Duval. I mean, 71 wins vs 13 wins, almost too close to call, right??

What's so sad is your inability to spell or put your blinding bias aside and contribute something useful to this conversation.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I am concerned about the announcement due this afternoon. Is this a serious problem, possibly requiring surgery or a long layoff? Is it about divorce? Or is it just Steinberg trying to keep Tiger in the limelight?

Also, about the neck injury: was the neck problem caused by Tiger's swing, or by his workouts? How common is neck injury among golfers? And shouldn't Tiger's workout regime (shrugs, etc.) have protected him against neck injury?

Personal note: Back when I was trying to swing a 50" driver as hard as I could, I pinched a nerve that left much of my lower left side numb for a week or more. The swing can impact the vertebrae. In that case, lumbar vertebrae.

Added: Tiger is muscular but not aesthetic. He's no Markie Mark or Gregg Plitt or Sergei Nubret.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

I am concerned about the announcement due this afternoon. Is this a serious problem, possibly requiring surgery or a long layoff? Is it about divorce? Or is it just Steinberg trying to keep Tiger in the limelight?

The guys on PGA Radio on XM this morning said it is a problem that plagues some players, and it is somewhat common. They referenced some guy (cant remember his name) that actually got his card for the very first time, and never actually got to play on tour because of the injury.

It can potentially require surgery (I think to fuse the disc, not 100% sure though), but that's not always required. My dad has had some of the same problems, but has avoided surgery for a number of years. He's not a professional golfer though

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

He just gave a press conference.Said the injury has no connection to the accident.He said he might have come back too quickly and practised too hard for the Masters.

He was laughing and joking, talking about how he's not intimidating anymore, hasn't been 100% in a long time, how he's 'getting old'.I was reading the transcript thinking 'Who is this person?'

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I too have "tigered" my neck ... again ... and it could be a while before I swing a club again.

It was already tigered before the weekend's watersports activity, which didn't help.

I herniated C5/6/7 a couple of years ago, and after a long recovery, it's been touch and go ever since. Once it's done, it's done. I don't expect him to make a complete or permanent recovery unless he's very, very lucky. But if he does have some "narrowing of the foramen" and he can get some enduring relief that does not rely on pharmaceuticals to mask the cause/symptoms, he should be able to play here and there.

Problem is, for some with these kinds of conditions, you can only practice so much. I save my good days for the course and practice only as much as the neck permits me. THe last few weeks that's "0."

http://theoutsideinsideout.blogspot.com/

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Source: Tigerwoods.com
After an MRI on Wednesday in Orlando, Fla., it was determined that Tiger Woods has an inflamed facet joint in his neck.

When the facet joints are inflamed, it causes pain in the affected area as well as headaches and difficulty rotating the head.

"I want to thank everyone for their caring and concern," Woods said. "I now need to take care of this condition and will return to playing golf when I'm physically able."

Physical therapy, including soft-tissue massage, rest and anti-inflammatory medicine will be used to treat the injury.

The prognosis for Woods is a full recovery, although a return date to competitive golf is contingent on how quickly the condition heals. The layoff is not expected to be extensive but can vary.

http://web.tigerwoods.com/news/artic...29998240/news/

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Source: Tigerwoods.com After an MRI on Wednesday in Orlando, Fla., it was determined that Tiger Woods has an inflamed facet joint in his neck. When the facet joints are inflamed, it causes pain in the affected area as well as headaches and difficulty rotating the head. "I want to thank everyone for their caring and concern," Woods said. "I now need to take care of this condition and will return to playing golf when I'm physically able." Physical therapy, including soft-tissue massage, rest and anti-inflammatory medicine will be used to treat the injury. The prognosis for Woods is a full recovery, although a return date to competitive golf is contingent on how quickly the condition heals. The layoff is not expected to be extensive but can vary.

TRANSLATION: He wasn't really injured but needed to get off the course because he couldn't take posting another high number. This is obviously my opinion but I believe it 100%. This guy played with a broken leg and he couldn't play with inflammation? Not buying it. His ego couldn't take another bad round so he ditched.

When playing with a broken leg he contended for the US Open, he didn't have a popsickles chance in hell to win The Players.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
TRANSLATION: He wasn't really injured but needed to get off the course because he couldn't take posting another high number. This is obviously my opinion but I believe it 100%. This guy played with a broken leg and he couldn't play with inflammation? Not buying it. His ego couldn't take another bad round so he ditched.

Sorry, but that doesn't pass the smell test.

Tiger got more attention by WDing with an injury than he would have if he had shot 78. He wasn't within a mile of the lead. Additionally, microfractures are one thing, but Tiger could still get down to impact. If you can't turn your neck you can't play very good golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

**Correction** busted knee ;) but honestly Albatross, no offense or anythin but you can't be serious. We all know Tiger doesn't 'enter a tournament he doesn't firmly believe he won't win', but to withdraw? hardly seems the case in any part of his career that he'd quit, which is basically what you're insinuating/stating. The man has posted bad scores before but to say he flat out quit and pulled an injury out of no where is just plain wrong. Yea, he played on a busted knee but he was actually in contention, oh wait, no, he won. Was he in the same situation this time? The open and winning? hmm...nope. The guy got out of the tournament while in pain, as others have done, and since he wasn't in contention...you automatically state he quit? Doesn't seem right in my opinion. Give the guy a damn break.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Good news for him. I expect to see him at the memorial.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I am serious. I think pulling out with this "injury" in his mind gives him and the media an excuse for his poor play and it's BECAUSE he didn't have a chance to win that he called it quits.

Because that's exactly what happened in the media. It wasn't "Tiger Woods shoots another 78 and has awful finish at The Players", it was "Tiger has neck injury and that's why he hasn't been playing well."

You can't convince me that if he had been in the hunt on Sunday that he would have still withdrawn. It wouldn't have happened.

You can't convince me that if he had been in the hunt on Sunday that he would have still withdrawn. It wouldn't have happened.

Of course not, why put yourself through pain for nothing? If you had a chance of winning you would fight through it more than if you were at the bottom of the leaderboard.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Of course not, why put yourself through pain for nothing? If you had a chance of winning you would fight through it more than if you were at the bottom of the leaderboard.

I agree. If Tiger was sitting 10 shots off of the lead in the final round US open back in 08 he probably would have withdrawn there too. If he was closer to the lead he might have tried to rough through it.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
I am serious. I think pulling out with this "injury" in his mind gives him and the media an excuse for his poor play and it's BECAUSE he didn't have a chance to win that he called it quits.

You don't seem to read the same media I read.

The media is up in arms about Tiger's non-disclosure of this ailment. Before that they were talking wildly about his WDing. Much, MUCH more so than if he had just shot 78 (a non-story, really). The media is speculating about when Tiger will play next and whether he'll be able to win a tournament this year. If Tiger simply wanted less media attention, he'd have shot his 75 or 78 and finished the tournament. He would not "fake" an injury and WD.

Chicken and egg. He would tell you he couldn't contend because his neck was bothering him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!