IGNORED

Harrassed by Driving Range Staff

IcemanYVR
Note: This thread is 5092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would have made the idiot feel like a jerk. I would have said something along the lines of my friend being homesless and not having the money to pay for lessons!

So maybe he can't even pay for range balls or greens fees, and he surely won't meet the dress code - git yer homeless a$$ outta here!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Professional golfer that talked to you could have said the same thing in a more friendlier way. Lots of people are having a hard time with the economy and if he was too busy with students and teaching he would not have the time to notice you at the range trying to help your friend.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If it is the ranges policy, then you shouldn't be allowed to teach ANYONE. If you don't like the policy, find a range whos policies you align more with. Do you always(in life) break rules/laws/policies that you don't agree with?

Fair enough that came across wrong,what I meant was I don't see the problem in what the OP done,I also don't see how it would be a problem bringing your kid along and telling him what he is doing right or wrong as he hits a golf ball for the first time..

If though someone was actually coaching someone and making a profit out of it then yeah of course I would see a problem with that if it was the Ranges policy that you can't teach,but there is a huge difference between the two and that's why the Pro should have used some more common sense,he could have actually gained a customer if he had approached the situation in a different manner.

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

Do you always(in life) break rules/laws/policies that you don't agree with?

Not ALWAYS, but frequently, yes.

|Callaway X460 draw-biased Driver|Taylormade Burner 3W|Adams Golf Idea A7 19° Hybrid|Adams Golf Idea Pro Gold 23° hybrid|King Cobra Baffler 29° hybrid|Taylormade Burner 6i|Adams Idea Tech A4OS 7i|Mizuno MP32 8i|Pro Select Blaze II 9i|Callaway Golf Forged Chrome 48° PW|Oncourse Target Series...

• Administrator
Maybe his staff member saw it differently.

The guy might not be on staff at all. Many driving ranges or courses allow pros to teach, but they have to pay to rent facilities, range balls for lessons, etc. He might just be an independent contractor.

true... but what if said 2.4 index wants to teach his son, which I will be doing in a few years?

a) that's a different situation entirely (unless the kid's financially solvent)

b) you could always go to a range without a host pro, teach someone in your back yard with whiffle balls, etc. You don't need to be at a range to teach someone grip, stance, etc.
I doubt with an attitude like that they would offer anything for free.

Look, the flip side of the coin is that you violated a posted rule, and a common rule, and while that doesn't excuse the pro (possibly) being rude (not a great way to add business - he should have nicely reminded you of the policy and given your friend his card), you're not blameless.

I understand the range is the Pro's "turf" and they have several instructors on staff but it crosses the line when they threaten to throw out someone for helping a friend/spouse/child.

He wasn't your spouse or your child, so it's pointless to talk about them. Different situation. The guy didn't prevent you from teaching your kid, he prevented you from teaching an adult capable of paying for a lesson on turf he's probably paid to use for instruction.

And what as iceman said is the difference between his situation and a man helping his wife or a father teaching his son/daughter?

There's a world of difference.

Now - and again - if the pro was rude *at all* then shame on him, because he should have gently reminded you of the policy, perhaps been self-deprecating about it, and offered his services (perhaps even the 10-minute free lesson, since it's May). I'm done now because the pro was probably a crud for doing what he did, and he probably cost himself business and made himself look bad to either his bosses or the people from whom he leases space, but the OP isn't entirely blameless, and there are two sides, and that's all I've got.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I frequent a range with a pro and he knows i always help my buddies out to a certain extent. but he also knows if they want to take the game seriously and get better (most of my friends play once a month) i will walk them in his office and introduce them and tell my buddy to get a lesson. I guess every situation is different, i am at the range at least 4 days a week so i see him, i can see his point but it sounds like he could have gone about it a better way. instead of just saying he is going to throw you out he could have introduced himself and offered the free 10 minute lesson and earned your buddies business. I have started a few ventures and i couldn't see myself running someone away from the range I work at, I would have looked at it as an oppurtuinity instead of a threat. just my 2 pennies...

callaway ft5 9 degree driver
callaway diablo 15 degree
callaway diablo hybrid
callaway x forged 3-pw px 6.5
callaway x forged 51,55,59 wdgesbettinardi bc1 putter

Maybe you're right and the guy was completely rude. But since we don't have his side of the story, commenting is almost pointless.

Everyone here makes comments about "one side of the story" (all the Tiger Woods rumors, things that happen on the golf course, etc). I doubt there are very many details that are missing from this story. The pro is a douche and an idiot. If he saw the OP giving instruction multiple times to different people, then he has reason to ask -- else he's just being an ass. He should have introduced himself nicely and offered the 10-minute lesson. When I've seen this happen on the range, the person in the OP's position usually says something like, "Oh... thank God! Now you can get some good advice!"

The policy is a joke for any teaching amongst family & friends that doesn't involve money. And if the guy didn't see the multiple signs about teaching, he probably didn't see the one about it being free lesson month. And really, for a new golfer the first time at the range, there's so many new things to take in, I would MUCH rather learn the ropes from a friend, even if he isn't a pro.

You learn something new everyday. I've been to many different ranges and have never heard of this rule.

Seems like the intent is to keep an instructor outside the teaching staff from coming on the property and giving lessons for pay. Just type in "golf lesson" in a craigslist search and you'll see what I mean. To say that a father/mother can't give his daughter/son instruction is just ridiculous.

Just because the OP has a 2.8 index, it shouldn't make him more susceptible to interdiction by the overzealous pro. Matter of fact, it should be the opposite; the pro should be going after the hackers that are giving out crappy instruction. That's something I'd welcome. I know I've bitten my tongue many times while listening to the guy next to me hand out horrendous advice.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

Maybe . . . they just realize how annoying it is for the other patrons to hit next to a self-professed range pro.

Not saying the OP is that guy, but there were 2 guys sharing a stall behind me yesterday who were trading tips as they hit - explaining what they were working on. I wanted to say, "why don't you guys work on shutting the H up!!". I was only hitting a few balls off the mats to warm up, then I moved to the uneven scrappy grass area, so I said nothing. A lot of guys moved over there - what a coincidence!?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

First, I live in Canada, so we don't have the "free" lesson thing in May.

Second, I didn't see the sign, it was on an 8 1/2" by 11" piece of paper on the back wall of the driving range which is about 100 yards wide. If they were so concerned about it, they should have posted signs on every stall... like the ones they have saying you will prosecute if you steal range balls (every stall)

Yes, they lost future business, because my friend is going to take lessons if he likes the game, and that place would have been the obvious choice but now I will recommend him to a local semi-private club where they are civil and have an excellent practice facility.

If they have the rule about teaching... then it should be enforced for everyone and if that turns out to be the case... then I will go elsewhere.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I think your best bet in this situation would be to let the pro know that your friend isn't a golfer and you were just taking him out to see if he liked it? I would think that if you explained that you were just introducing your friend to the game the guy would back off.

If not then I would just inform the pro that he may have just lost himself a potential student to the game and walk away.

I understand the rule but trying to give a few pointers to a friend who has never played before is not the same thing as giving someone a true lesson. I would really hope the pro would be understanding of that. The more players we have in this game the better.

Never heard of such a rule. Now that I think about it though, I took the GF with me out to the driving range a few weeks ago, and later the pro there asked me if the girl I had with me was my GF, and if I was teaching her to play. I just took it as him being friendly, because he usually is, always striking up conversation, trying to build good relations with the customers, but now that I read this thread, maybe he thought she was a student of mine or something and was going to tell me not to be teaching. Hmm.

I know one range around here with "no lessons" signs. I've never seen them give anyone trouble for it. Personally, if they consider occasionally helping a friend to be a "lesson" then I'd get myself a new range---that is absurd. I understand not allowing someone to just set up shop and start offering lessons (whether or not it was for pay), but to say that you're not allowed to give informal assistance to a friend is over the line, even if it's more than just a brief tip. Expecting everyone who wants to use the facility to learn to play golf to cough up to the host pro is unreasonable. Furthermore, if the expectation is that you'll go somewhere else to get your grip and stance down and then come in to actually hit balls (without further instruction!!), well, I'll do them one better and not bother coming in at all.

I say if you don't get an apology from the manager, and if there's another range nearby, move on (and let them know).

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I think there is a very big difference between going to the range with a buddy to set up your own lesson tee, and going to the range with a buddy to beat some balls and exchange some tips. Having been on both sides of the line I can tell you that there is a good way for the pro to handle it and a bad way. I agree with Iacas...most driving ranger pros split their lesson income 70/30 with the facility. If there is a threat to that income than the rule has to be inforced. As an operator would you blindly trust people to help a friend or loved one with tips and advice vs. taking advantage of the situation and setting up a little lesson tee? I take friends to the range and help them with their swing but I do it in a professionally courteous way or go somewhere where I know the staff. I am purchasing theirr product as is the other person and we are just watching each others swings. Most pros will not say anything (this guy mustve had a chip on his shoulder) if you are there with a junior or just hanging with your spouse you will rarely fall into the "teaching" category.

To be frank, I would of told him to f*ck off, and that I would now take me money elsewhere.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I violate this rule every time I take my 6yr old and 14yr old grandsons to the range with me. The Pro's at both ranges I use have not said a word to me about it when they see us. But I would not ever try to teach my Son In Law a thing about golf at the range because it's more fun to beat him on the course.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

To be frank, I would of told him to f*ck off, and that I would now take me money elsewhere.

Heh, maybe we're just uncivilized but I'd do the same.

Syncro bag
Superfast Burner 9.5° S driver
G5 4-PW irons
Burner '08 22° 4h
53° wedge 56° wedge iN Li'l Wack-E putter PD Long ballSlowly working on upgrading my old bargain bin clubs.

Note: This thread is 5092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!