IGNORED

What the USGA and club manufacturers dont want you to know

JWL1957
Note: This thread is 5089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Handicaps haven't dropped much because many amateur golfers do not get club-fitted. I think it's something like 65% of golfers don't get fit for their clubs.

IMO, club fitting is overrated for the vast majority of players.

IMO, club fitting is overrated for the vast majority of players.

Oh, hell no. Only someone who is close to standard fit could ever say something like that. For me, fitting was the difference that made my game. Prior to being fit, all I could do was develop a hideously imperfect swing, and poor fundimentals because my clubs were so severely toe down at impact. I'm still fighting to get most of my old bad habits taken care of from playing with those old clubs.

Oh, hell no. Only someone who is close to standard fit could ever say something like that. For me, fitting was the difference that made my game. Prior to being fit, all I could do was develop a hideously imperfect swing, and poor fundimentals because my clubs were so severely toe down at impact. I'm still fighting to get most of my old bad habits taken care of from playing with those old clubs.

I was standard length and 2* up with my last set. Coming from a standard set that I played with for 13 years. Now I am in Pings that are .75* up, should probably be 1.5*. Not much of a difference between them for me except for forgiveness.

We chould call you jealous...

We

should call you illiterate And hell yes I'm jealous, I would love to hit all my shots on the center, I am sure most people would. Call them all jealous.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

We

Or we could call me fat fingered and lacking in the spell check. Illiterate is a bit over the top. I would if they made ignorant attacks like you did.

We'll just chalk this one up to you still being cranky about the Flames sucking.

is this a thread or a place to bitch at each other?...jeezus you fight like f'in 3 year olds figurin out who's gettin the happy meal prize. grow up already.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

. . . cranky about the Flames sucking.

Hey, they didn't suck all year. Just every time it counted - they've been lowering their handicaps for weeks though!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Or we could call me fat fingered and lacking in the spell check. Illiterate is a bit over the top. I would if they made ignorant attacks like you did.

LOL relaaaxxxxxxx.....I don't give a crap about Ice Hockey. I'm not even Canadian.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I may be way behind on this thread but im guessing that one of the main reasons that handicaps overal arent dropping is that so many more people play golf now than they did years ago, meaning a lot of new golfers every year. Great for the sport as it continually grows in popularity but you constantly have newbies introduced to the game hence high handicaps and bringing up the overall average. I didnt read all the posts so someone else probably already said something like this. Most people are terrible in the beginning and many never get much better and a lot of those are ok with that, they still have fun. Ive been playing for 2 years, I was horrible when i first started and still struggle just to break 100, 95 is my best 18 hole score ive ever recorded. In fact i think ive only broken 100 maybe 4 times. I usually just play 9 so i dont really play 18 that often, maybe 10 times a year or so. And thats another factor, new players may not get to play very often and practice even less due to other responsibilities and obligations so it takes a long time to improve.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

. . . so many more people play golf now than they did years ago, meaning a lot of new golfers every year. Great for the sport as it continually grows in popularity . . .

From what I see locally, golf has never been less popular. It used to be hard to get a tee time and almost impossible to get on as a single (I prefer to join a group as s 4th - if they don't mind). Now I can get on whenever I want.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Secondly, it's hardly a secret, everyone knows that it's the indian not the arrow,

I wouldn't say that. Most do yes, but there are still a fair amount of people who think a new piece of equipment is going to magically make them hit the ball better.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't say that. Most do yes, but there are still a fair amount of people who think a new piece of equipment is going to magically make them hit the ball better.

If you've got some game, the right equipment can put you over the top. If you've got a whole lotta suck, why not suck in style?!?!?

If you've got a whole lotta suck, why not suck in style?!?!?

I'd rather take lessons and be a good player than be the guy with $2K in clubs and slicing it 2 fairways over on every shot.

- Joel

I'd rather take lessons and be a good player than be the guy with $2K in clubs and slicing it 2 fairways over on every shot.

It's a great way to meet new people though. Yeah - my irons are almost 20 years old (wedges too) - so I hear ya.

It's a great way to meet new people though.

LOL at the bold.

- Joel

If I rememeber correctly the gear has to keep up with the way courses are advancing. Tougher longer courses require more advance gear.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

As earlier noted, handicaps have dropped a couple of strokes... not a huge move but a significant one. There are dozens of reasons one could surmise. I still think the number one change is the ball. If the younger players here only knew what "used to go on" with golf balls. Right out of the box the pros would get, the balls were not always round, nor were they balanced. Players would go through several balls to find the ones they would play, passing them through rings and spinning them to test roundness. Serious players would put a dot on a ball and spin it in a fluid to see if it wobbled. About the most holes you could play a ball before it was significantly out of round was six holes -- and that was pushing it. One mishit might mean your ball was unfit immediately. Today people still slice but the old ball would slice far more. Pure ball striking was a premium and obvious because the old balls would magnify mishits. Yes, the ball and equipment advances have added 29 or so yards to distance, and iorns are stronger lofted, but if given a choice of one thing a good pro would say has changed the game the most, I've repeatedly heard it is the golf ball. The result of the equipment improvements has made old gems of golf course design no longer daunting. Who really thinks Doral is the Monster it used to be called?

I would never like to have to play the woods or irons of the 50's again. But if you had the equipment of today and the balls of the 1940's and 1950's you would clearly notice a more difficult game.

RC

Note: This thread is 5089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!