IGNORED

Drop zones across a water hazard?

Dad-2-3
Note: This thread is 5085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

and on one of them, the drop zone

That is the only situation where the USGA would consider allowing such a dropping area. When there is no place else to put it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Drop zones are an example of local rules. If you course is hosting the U.S. Amateur, I'm sure the drop zones would be moved to short of the water hazard, rather than across it.

Get real: forced carries are really tough on women and seniors who may not hit the ball a long way.

At the military course where I used to play in Oklahoma, we had several men in their late 60s quit because of two holes where they couldn't get across the water anymore. They switched to the local public course. The following year both these holes got special senior tees across the water, about 15 yds. behind the women's tees.

We're having a falloff in the number of U.S. golfers, so that's try to be accommodating to people who only hit their tee shots 170 yards.

BTW, has anybody seen a course with separate drop zone rules for the back tees vs. the middle tees?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm positive it's for pace of play as well. The last thing you want is some 30 handicap player putting a 12 pack of balls in the water while everyone else waits. I also don't think the rules of golf state that the ball must be played such that a player has to shoot over the water again. The 1 stroke penalty covers that.

Kevin Costner comes to mind in Tin Cup, when I read that. He just kept hitting and baptizing them... LOL
Roy 'Tin Cup' McAvoy: If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot. Romeo: Man, you'd bury yourself alive just to prove you could handle the shovel.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Just an observation here, but... what about the courses like Sawgrass? The 17th hole is already a short iron for most people (a wedge for the majority of Tour golfers). Why do they have a drop area that makes it an even SHORTER shot with a much more accomodating shot in to the green (the angle makes it such)?

I've played courses that have local rules to put the ball in the drop zone the instant you hit it into the hazard (some are water hazards, others are ravines). The majority of them are on the other side of the hazard... and based on what I've been told... the ratings take those drop areas and factor them in.

Quite a few have mentioned that they'd rather not follow the local rule on the scorecard and would abide by 26-1 instead. Nearly all of those have mentioned that they would do so because they weren't sure that the score would be valid otherwise. Appendix I states that:

"If a ball is in or it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in the water hazard (specify location), the player may:

(i) proceed under Rule 26; or

(ii) as an additional option, drop a ball, under penalty of one stroke, in the Dropping Zone.

To me... again, this makes the scores posted absolutely valid. The Rules of Golf state that the player has either option. If you wish to proceed under Rule 26 and hit the shot from behind the hazard and risk dunking the ball a second, third or fourth time... that's your option and your score is valid by USGA standards. However... if I take the option of dropping in the designated zone... it doesn't make my score invalid.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Just an observation here, but... what about the courses like Sawgrass?

Yeah, good point. I was going to post the same example in response to this comment:

Generally if that is the case I'd rather re-tee than drop and still be facing that expanse. And dropping on the other side is so against the spirit of the game.

Is there anything in the rules that prohibit the pros from hitting a second ball off the tee instead of taking a drop in the Drop Zone which takes most of the water out of play? If so, I don't see any of them doing it.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Is there anything in the rules that prohibit the pros from hitting a second ball off the tee instead of taking a drop in the Drop Zone which takes most of the water out of play? If so, I don't see any of them doing it.

The rules of golf always allow you to play from the previous spot. Fred Couples made the best par ever at #17 TPC Sawgrass when after hitting into the water he re-teed and put it in the hole.

Rob Tyska

Note: This thread is 5085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!