IGNORED

When did you start Golf?

Steven McFarlane
Note: This thread is 4920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When Did you Start

• Kid 0-12
    • Teenager 13-16
    • Young Adult- 17-19
    • Adult 20+

I started playing when I was 27 years old, My best friend introduced me to golf at the driving range hitting balls. I went back to the driving range by myself and I was hooked, I played my first round of golf with my brother-in-laws Wilson blades and I sliced for the first two years, 23 years later, I am still playing golf and my best friend that introduced me to golf has not hit a golf balls for over 10 years.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My freshman year of high school. Got a starter set for Christmas and started playing as soon as the courses opened - there was a Par-3 course between my house and the high school that I could play for 50 cents [!] after 4:00 PM.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

I started when i was 16. I applied for a job at my local golf course because i thought that driving golf carts was like the coolest job in the world. A couple of my friends worked there too, and they convinced me to go out and play golf, and even gave me a set of old clubs.

I remember the 1st time i played, it was so frustrating, because it took so much patience. But that day started an addiction, because by the end of that summer i was out playing everyday! I think golf is more addictive than cigarettes.

a bad day on the golf course is always better than a good day at work."

http://www.golfenthusiastic.com

Started when I was 14, now 15 and have dropped from about a 36 handicap to a 13.4 in 6 months

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

took up golf in October 2006 when i was 29 yrs old.

Driver 905R 9.5 Deg Stiff Flex
3 Wood 904F 15 Deg Stiff Flex
Irons i5 Stiff Flex 3-PW
Wedges MALTBY Forged 53,56,60
Putter G5i Craz-EBall D-Feel

• 2 weeks later...
I swung a golf club for the very first time 2 years ago next month when I was 40 years old. I was another who just couldn't see the appeal. But some friends talked me into going with them to a driving range and out of a whole bucket of balls I hit maybe 2 or 3 that didn't suck. Last spring I broke 110 for the first time, and this spring I hope to break 100 - my best so far is a 9 hole round of 47.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

started 3 yrs ago when I was 27. Played baseball for 18 yrs before that, so I think it may have helped somehow. I often wonder how good I'd be if I'd played since I was a kid, but I don't regret it, because baseball is also a great sport.

Started Playing when I was 28 Played my first round in Indiana with a business client. Been playing now for 8years and love the game. Wish I would have played when I was younger. My daughter is 2yrs old and I have already got her swinging her own clubs.

Taylormade Superquad 9.5
Taylormade hybrid 3, 4,5
MP-57 5-P
Cleveland 56 & 60
Scotty Cameron PutterPro V-1

• 3 weeks later...
7 years ago, age 33. Played at a company golf tourney.

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

Started at 14. My brother and I played out of the same bag of crappy 60's style clubs. I'm 36 now and I wish I still had that same set of clubs.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I started at age 12. My family moved from the city to the suburbs and I went from playing baseball, football and basketball every day with my friends after school to doing nothing because suburb kids would just go home and watch TV.

Fortunately, we moved next to a golf course. My old man took up golf as a PE course in college and liked it, but only played a couple of times a year. So we both got into the game at the same time and the rest is history.

3JACK

I started playing when I was 12. I played until I was about 16 then quit to take up other interests. I started playing again when I was 30 (four years ago).
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I started when I was 10 I'd say. Did not play competitively, just for fun during the summer with friends. But i got the basic understanding of the game, and just took it back up again hardcore. I wanna play golf until it makes me money...(dont we all) Im 22 now

I remember always bugging my Dad to let me go play with him when I was probably 7 or 8. He signed me up for a group lesson at the local muni. My only real memory was the pro asking all of us kids, "Are any of you left handed?", and I raised my hand. He said "O.K., well we don't have any left handed clubs so you will learn to play right handed." All in all, I think that was lucky for me

in my grom stand bag:

Driver: HiBore 9.5* fujikura stiff
3w: HiBore 15* fujikura stiff
2i hybrid: HiBore fujikura stiff3-sw: MP-57 +1/2 2* up stiff steelPutter: 2ball SRT 36"GPS: SG3 Sky caddieCart:Clicgear 2.0Home Course: Lake Spanaway http://www.lakespanawaygc.com

I was a kid when I started. Took my dad's PW out and hit in the back yard many of days. I am naturally Left handed and my dad wouldnt buy me a left handed set so I taught myself how to hit right handed. Now if you gave me a left handed club I would be lucky enough to even hit the ball.

Never had a lesson and I am a 10 caper.

I was 17 when I started the game (22 now). I had a similar experience as the last couple of posters because I'm naturally left-handed. My dad and the pro decided that it would be better for me to learn right-handed as those clubs are easier to come by.

I still play softball left handed.
In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

Note: This thread is 4920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!