IGNORED

How to Increase Swing Speed?

Note: This thread is 3818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My swing speed is around 92-95 Mph range. This is about 80% from my full swing. Whenever I swing at 100%, I slice my shots.

I would really like to swing around 105-106 Mph without really swinging too hard. But how?
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

whats your body build like? Height & Weight

do you exercise regularly
do you stretch to increase flexibility

Major power centers in the golf swing is the core muscles. Abs, Lats, gluts, thighs
You want to also have good flexibility. Note there are two types of stretching you can do, static and dynamic. Never to static before a golf round, those stretches are for cooling down only. If you need to stretch before a round of golf, learn some dynamic stretching.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 5'10" , 200 pounds.... I jog once a week for about 1/2 hour. The rest of exercise is Golf.....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

it wasn't so much ab out my fitness for me as it was just simply practice.

I'm the exact same height and weight as you but I do a bit of weight lifting.
For me, it was a matter of practicing. If you're slicing your drives at 100% swing, then video tape your swing and see where its going wrong. You may be going out-in on the down swing or any other causes for a slice. Video tape it, find the error, and practice to fix that error.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Yeah i was about to say the same thing. Golfers should be able to go 100% and still not have a slice or hook, they might pull or push it. 5'10", 200lbs...

I would work on flexibility and core training, it just helps a ton. Do some wrist exercises as well, that will help in the rough. But if your going 80% and getting 92-95 mph, then your loosing a bit of power somewere. I am 6'1", 225lbs, and i usually swing my driver at 90%, and i get about 117 mph club head speed. I like 90%, just my comfort zone, i hate feeling like i am giving up on a shot, or trying to guide one out there. I rather have at it with in my balance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I don't believe you will be able to alter you usable swing speed very much at all. You are either fast or not. The best you will get from gym work is a couple of miles an hour unless you are really out of shape. My coach is part of a very well known major winning Irish golfers team and I have been told a certain Irish golfer worked on club head speed for 3 years and gained about 3mph. I appreciate that once you get to a high max speed that improvements are hard to come by but if you are 95mph as you say that is a pretty good swing for an amateur golfer.

I guess you want club head speed to increase your distance? But with that speed and a good swing with good weight transfer you should be able to get 260-270 yard. I average about your speed and see those distances, and they are measured distances with my electric trolley so they are real.

Work on your swing mechanics then try to add speed.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
910D2 9.5º Aldila RIP Stiff C.3 setting
909F2 15.5º Diamana Stiff
909F3 18º Aldila VooDoo Stiff
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

If you are a 5'10" person who has never worked with weights or flexibility you can gain tremendous distance, as well as work on honing that swing. I know there is a wide range of distances on tour, and that has to do with physical limitations, size, build, ect.. this will also help you make better contact as well because your body will be able to support your swing. You will be able to go at it with higher speed and maintain the proper angles and balance for solid contact. These guys who have slower swing speeds either have limit physical capabilities due to there lifestyle, injury, ect... that cause them to have a slower swing speed. Or there is a fault in the swing that saps power.

It doesn't hurt to work out and get physically in shape to play golf.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I guess you want club head speed to increase your distance? But with that speed and a good swing with good weight transfer you should be able to get 260-270 yard. I average about your speed and see those distances, and they are

Your "trolley" has GPS or a rangefinder or something built in? Cool.

@ the OP - if you want to swing at 106 MPH in control, you should look at getting your max speed up into the teens. @ saevel25 - a swing at 100% that's full of power leaks may result in a lower clubhead speed than a technically sound 3/4 swing - and that's not even factoring in ball contact.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well what is 100%, i define it as the maximum effort you can swing were you are still in balance. For me if your in balance, your swing should be the same as it is at 80% but not as hard. So, if a person needs to swing at 80% not to slice, than he has a swing flaw. I can swing at 100% as i can at 80% and hit the same shot shape, the swings are the same, the speed is diifferent.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

You may be lacking sufficient wrist hinge. If you hinge properly, you will not slice-ever. lack of wrist hinge contributes to more bad shots than anything else assuming your shoulder turn is good.
Loosen up those hands and arms at address, feel the club in your hands and allow your arms to hang loose, now take a swing and notice how the hands become active-that's the feeling you want. You can't get that feeling gripping tightly or having tension in your hands or arms.
I suspect when you try to swing at 100%, you are tensing up.
Try 100% loose as a goose and see the amount of speed you put on the ball-it will be phenomonal and you will be amazed at the swing speed.

Your "trolley" has GPS or a rangefinder or something built in? Cool.

Powakaddy Freeway 2. It has a digital display that reads distance. It will measure distance from tee to ball, distance of the course I am playing and total distance the trolley covers in it's life time.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag
909h 19º Diamana StiffAP2 4 iron  CB 710 5-PW KBS Tour stiff50º(bent to 52º) 56º54 60ºStudio select Newport 2 Pro V1

I guess you want club head speed to increase your distance? But with that speed and a good swing with good weight transfer you should be able to get 260-270 yard. I average about your speed and see those distances, and they are measured distances with my electric trolley so they are real.

Oh no, not

this again. The magical 270 yard drive with a 95 mph clubhead speed? Lets put this number into the magical calculator, and we see that 95 mph = 233 yards. So, your distances are either wrong, or your swing speed is wrong, or you're playing with a hell of a tailwind. Or, we can put it like this. PGA tour clubhead speed average is 112 mph, and the average driving distance is 283 yards. Brian Gay, who averages 102 mph of swing speed, averages 239 yards of carry, and 264 yards total.
Powakaddy Freeway 2. It has a digital display that reads distance. It will measure distance from tee to ball, distance of the course I am playing and total distance the trolley covers in it's life time.

A ha! That makes sense. The thing is measuring distance over the ground. You are not going in a perfectly straight line to your ball, you're going up and down hills, and around obstacles. 270 probably equals about 210-220 yards.

My swing speed is around 92-95 Mph range. This is about 80% from my full swing. Whenever I swing at 100%, I slice my shots.

Somethings that crossed my mind were, and I think this is the most important; learn how to bring your hips thru the shot. When you do this correctly it feels like you arms and hands are along just for the ride. Another is learn how to lag the club and keep the lag until around belt level. Another is learn how to keep the hands soft so you don't hold on to the shot. If you don't have flexability you may have to work on that first.

Oh no, not

What ever. I walk straight to the ball when I hit it straight. I am not going to argue with you, I play a very dry heathland course that runs well. Yes I carry in the air about 230 at present and my swing isn't the finished article.

S83 Mid-size Tour bag

95 mph, at the theoretical 1.5 smash factor, thats 142.5 mph ball speed. 230 yards is the max you can go, 200 is more likely carry with the average smash factor. I would get your club head speed tested again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'm 5'10" , 200 pounds.... I jog once a week for about 1/2 hour. The rest of exercise is Golf.....

Look up the

Titleist Performance Institute website, and click onto Power. Strength and Power are not the same thing. Power goes beyond strength and emphasizes speed and mobility - think purposeful explosiveness . TPI trainers say without specific workouts, most golfers rate higher on Strength than Power. Check out the TPI Power training.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I don't see what you would gain for irons, it is like moving up from R to S flex, so you gain let's say 5-7% distance from the swingspeed, and you loose the same 5-7% needing a stiffer shaft.

I can imagine you have a stiff shafted driver allready ...... it that case the carry can be quite improved. I had similar problems, in my case speed and force were applied at the start of the swing instead of accelerated through the swing. Focus on that and you'll see much improvement, with more control. It doesn't add much in your irons (maybe 5-7 yds.) but my drives were average about 200-215 carry, while with the improved swing my average went to 240-260 carry.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Interesting question.You could have a 125 speed but would be useless if you didn't use the tool correctly. Learn yourself how to hit it solid every time. Learn how to use the clubhead.If you learn it, your speed will be there but you won't care about it anymore. Good luck dude. GDIB

Note: This thread is 3818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!