IGNORED

Official US Open Thread

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watching the Open this week I've been thinking about the luck element too.It seems to me the harder you make a couse like Pebble, the larger part luck has to play.Shouldn't player skill dictate the winner moreso than a lucky bounce on an approach shot or drive, or a lucky (or unlucky) bobble on those greens?This year's Masters proved that you don't have to have a tricked up course and poor scoring to make a Major interesting.I'm enjoying the tournament, it's fine.But I keep getting the feeling that player skill is being taken out of the equation on certain holes.

yet the top 5 is all top 50 in the world rankings. the cream always rises to the top. I think most people would agree that is fun to have a tournament once a year where the winning score is around par. its fun to watch because anything can happen and nobody is ever really out of it.

In the Bag:

Driver: G5 10.5* Stiff Flex
3 Wood: Striker 2000 15*
5 Wood: R5 xL 19*Irons(3-PW): Supersteel Burner Rifle S-90Wedges: Rac Satin TP 56/12 & 60/6Putter: Dead CenterBall: TriSpeed

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger will be in the hunt after today.

Yes, I think he gets in the hunt if he shoots 69 or better today. needs to get a couple under par. At +2 or better going into the final round, he might have a chance. The only thing that worries me is if Mcdowell shoots like 3 or 4 under and goes to -6 or -7. Then it's probably all but done.

In the Bag:

5 Wood: R5 xL 19*Irons(3-PW): Supersteel Burner Rifle S-90Wedges: Rac Satin TP 56/12 & 60/6Putter: Dead CenterBall: TriSpeed

I dunno about Tiger - he sounded pretty whiney after day 1: "The greens are terrible, it's not fair..." Waah waah waah. Tiger whines while Phil grinds. Unless he gets his mind right he's got no chance at a top 10 even.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Forget it guys - Tiger is NOT capable at the moment to just pull out a miracle round out of somewhere to get into the hunt. These times are over - for now...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Forget it guys - Tiger is NOT capable at the moment to just pull out a miracle round out of somewhere to get into the hunt. These times are over - for now...

I wouldn't say a 69 is a miracle round. And have you actually watched him play. He has driven it better than all other 2010 tournaments and he has only short sided himself like twice. I know he is definitely still more erratic than the tiger that we knew but lets be honest, he hasnt made a THING all week. I dont think he has made a putt outside 10 feet. So if he starts rolling a few in boom a couple under.

In the Bag:

yeah I tend to agree, Tiger hasn't shown anything to me that he is capable of pulling a rabbit out of the hat, his mind just isn't anywhere close to the form we are used too from him......and I'm a fan of Tiger's and am actually rooting for him, but it's ashame when (for me going into the Open he isn't/wasn't even a favorite to win it) as for me I had 5-10 other players ahead of him

To be honest Tiger has to do one thing: hit the ball closer. It's hard to have a good putting day when you are having 40 footers for birdie every hole. He has hit 1 less green and 1 more fairway than 200, yet his score is 12 strokes off. That tells you all you need to know.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW - did you guys checked out the tee times for the leaders? 3:50 pm Pacific Time - thats really late for a 3rd round? But i guess it has something to do with trying to broadcast it in primetime?

To be honest Tiger has to do one thing: hit the ball closer.

I doubt he will pay you money for this advice....

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

BTW - did you guys checked out the tee times for the leaders? 3:50 pm Pacific Time - thats really late for a 3rd round? But i guess it has something to do with trying to broadcast it in primetime?

Yeah, it is late for prime time, but also the fact that the longest day of the year is monday and the sun doesn't set until 9 pm is part of it too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

i really hope ernie can keep it together and win this. phil would be my second choice. sentimental favorite of course would be watson, but even though he was -3 for his round today (last i saw, anyway), he's still 7 strokes off the lead, so no dice there. i'm real glad he made the cut and is holding his own, though.

a side note, i was re-watching my nicklaus vs snead dvd because their match was at pebble beach (which at that point was 6700 yards and par 72). nicklaus won with an even par 72 and snead was one back with a 73. it was fun to see them put up solid scores like that with persimmon and balata balls and only, what, a dozen people managed to do the same on the current tournament? course, 300 yards longer and par 71, but still.

Go go David Duval!

In my bag:

If Tiger hadn't bogied 2 and 3, he'd be 1-over right now and back in the championship.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

If Tiger hadn't bogied 2 and 3, he'd be 1-over right now and back in the championship.

thats like saying if he hadnt made a bogey all tournament he'd be leading

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Bogey - Bogey start from Phil.Kinda typical of him after yesterday's great round you have to say.MacDowell opens with a birdie.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

The wind's starting to pick up, and it's going to be in the players' faces coming in. I'd want to say that anyone standing at 2-over would be in good shape for tomorrow, but no one at that number has made the turn yet. Davis Love's the leader in the clubhouse at 4-over.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

284 Yards - 2 iron

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Note: This thread is 5054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!