IGNORED

My Swing (Art_Vandelay)

Art_Vandelay
Note: This thread is 5047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

shanks, no need to have a hissy fit.

Your a 7 handicap, your not a hacker. A hacker is somebody struggling to break 100 on a muni. When did I say it was inferior?
it works for you and you've got a lot of good things in there, just because it doesn't look great. Doesn't mean it won't work.

I was defending the guy who you said

How this is even close to technically sound, I don't know.

His hands are dead straight pointing down at impact, there is no way you can see the shaft it that video at impact. You just drew an imaginary line.

I still don't understand how he couldn't play off an 8 with that swing. It looks like he'd strike the ball pretty well.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

There is some flipping as on 24 seconds the angle Shanks A Million uses to illustrate his swing is 180 degrees between right arm and club shaft and for OP it is nearer 160. The arms are running a bit wild on OPs swing and the left leg is disturbing! The left foot needs to be grounded to provide stability for your swing and your body is not going to become taught/coiled/wound up like an elastic if your body isn't grounded properly.

There is some flipping as on 24 seconds the angle Shanks A Million uses to illustrate his swing is 180 degrees between right arm and club shaft and for OP it is nearer 160. The arms are running a bit wild on OPs swing and the left leg is disturbing!

Have you ever seen arnold palmer swing?

That move is actually pretty good for power.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

The left foot needs to be grounded to provide stability for your swing and your body is not going to become taught/coiled/wound up like an elastic if your body isn't grounded properly.

Yeah.. this isn't right.Phil Mickelson lifts his heel a massive amount and he hits it as far as anyone.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

His full swing may be great, but like I said, a practice swing is

Ya if the OP flipping on a practice swing I guarantee it is worse on a real swing. Guarantee. And Shanks I'm not going to insult you, but you have some flip too, your left wrist is slightly cupped.

To the OP: I can't really tell swing plane because the camera should be behind you, not in front you you, but you do slide your hips back (bad) on the backswing which I would imagine is caused by your lifting of your left heel. But we really do need a back view. Your head also moves on the downswing but it seems to me that it is mostly after impact, I just can't get YouTube to pause in the right spot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah.. this isn't right.Phil Mickelson lifts his heel a massive amount and he hits it as far as anyone.

While this is true, this doesn't hold well with everyone. I used to lift my heel, and yes I did generate MASSIVE power but I was very inconsistent. Now I do not know if the OP is consistent but I did notice that once I stayed stable and left my foot grounded I became much more stable, and by twisting around my origin I could make up some of that power that I had lost with my wider swing path.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Post your own swings and see how you really compare.

Argument aside, this is probably a good idea. I'm not very happy with where my swing is right now (it feels incredibly uncomfortable and complex to me), but I'll probably post it anyway. Watching Anthony Kim and Ernie Els really pisses me off. It seems like they barely put much effort into their swings, where it feels like I could throw my back out with mine.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Art Vandelay,

2 things...to explain it in Seinfeld terms...you got a small case of the "Jimmy Legs". I can't tell definitely, but it looks like your back leg locks out (loses all bend) and the front leg is a little active. The next thing is the little flippy deal. Everything else is fine for a practice swing, but those two things jump out.

BTW - just remember that when you ask for advice and post your stuff online, you will get both barrels.

Shanks' position past impact is not bad at all and that breakdown is past the point of impact which is a better position than 90% of the people that ever swing a club and breakdown before or at impact. The only disappointment is that I thought Shanks was really Kevin Costner. Oh well.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Art Vandelay,

Really, most people mistake me for him! Hahaha. True, ignorance of the swing is a major fault on swing forums. I can't profess to know much about the golf swing myself, but I know some of the basics, and I listen to the pros and take what they have to say as being pretty reliable. There may be a tour pro who does this or that, but that doesn't mean we should do it. Ask that pro if they wouldn't rather get rid of that fault, and they will tell you they would.

Ya if the OP flipping on a practice swing I guarantee it is worse on a real swing. Guarantee. And Shanks I'm not going to insult you, but you have some flip too, your left wrist is slightly cupped.

The swing posted was several months old. It was after my first time with the anti-flip drill. I was able to work out a lot of the flip. I do flip the club a bit though, still. My clubshaft leans forward at impact, but post impact I flip before true followthrough position. My left ACL is torn, so I have to flip a bit or risk tearing it more. I chicken wing and flip a touch to save myself. I'm working hard to increase flexibility to get that full turn through the ball, and when the leg heals, I can finally make a full turn.

His hands are dead straight pointing down at impact, there is no way you can see the shaft it that video at impact. You just drew an imaginary line.

Not really, here, see for yourself:

You can see where the club is. Besides, your assumption is 100% flat out dead wrong. The hands should not be pointing straight down at impact, they should be ahead of the ball, and the body should be turned. Check out the impact of a few tour pros: My impact: And our OP's "impact": See the difference here?

what's wrong with his swing?

Yes, his left arm is straight.

But there is no lag in that swing at all. The entire swing lacks power. And there is a huge flip at the bottom of his swing. His left wrist completely breaks down.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

what does everyone mean by 'lag'?

it's how much wrist angle is retained in downswing.

Look at tiger's old swing on youtube, look at his wrists 3/4 way through the downswing.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

Note: This thread is 5047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!