IGNORED

St Andrews

Plox
Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The course certainly looks fabulous in the evening, seeing all the humps and bumps from the setting sun.

Yeah I was about to say the same it looked stunning, just a beautiful place.

Peter is the best in the biz I think, I love listening to butch as well, both have a wonderful passion for the game

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plox

As has been stated you suggested the course was a field. Having seen the undulating fairways that fact alone makes your hyperbole null and void.

As for your other criticisms such as the large shared greens. I felt that provided a unique and tricky aspect to the course which you don't often see at other venues. You appear to have a dislike of these features and to me that has as much a rationale as my fear of flying- probably none.

Then we have the excitement for the spectators of the 1st and 18th and the spectacle of being able to see both holes from all sides. The 18th is a fantastic yet simple hole as the green is driveable. The 17th has to be one of the best holes in golf.

You made two arguments plox 1/ objectively that the course was featureless- 'a field'. 2/ that you don't like it.

Whether you like it or not point 1 was a dud as the features of the course are clear.

You see it this evening, with the late sun sliding across the fairways...

you begin to understand how difficult this course is.

It looks flat from the air and bland from most cameras during the day. Then the shadows lengthen...

...and you see. Those wee humps and hollows are craters and mountains. You get the line wrong and you are finished.

You take an eagle-
I'll take two
I'll give it back
With a bogey pretty soon
That Old Grey town
Got me spinning round & round

Good luck Luis, good luck Lee
Whoever wins is the same to me
That Old Grey town
Wins out every time

Come over here referee - I think I'm sick
These old links have caught me slick
The wind is spinning
All around my brain...

(Thanks to Rev Gary Davis and his obsession with cocaine)

I always have a hard time watching the PGA tour for weeks after the Open Championship. I love links golf. The USA courses seem "boring" and "ho hum" in comparison.

You appear to have a dislike of these features and to me that has as much a rationale as my fear of flying- probably none.

Possibly the worst analogy I've ever heard, but carry on.

John Deere classic? Bravo. Considering my point about playing those other great links courses, you're not the brightest spark are you? This week has just highlighted how brilliant Loch Lomond was the week before, a course that should easily be hosting this event at some point in the near future.

the only problem is the time.

I don't think the course could be played 2 weeks in a row.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

What, I dont think the Open will ever be played at a parkland course.

You're right - the Trust Deed or whatever specifies that the Chmpaionship should be played on a links course.

I knew you would have no answer to my points but instead would resort to picking up on something meaningless about my post.

Wind up fail.

St. Andrews Old Course is the one course in the entire world I want to play before I die. Yes, it seems pretty obvious it is not the most picturesque etc. etc. but there is something about it, the mystique and the fact that so many of the best golfers who ever lived played and/or won on the old course.... Same goes for Prestwick. I will tee it up on both before I say goodbye to this world. Just remember, Bobby Jones hated the old course too when he first played it...later he would go on to say it was one of his favorites...they even named a hole after the great one Bobby Jones..i think its a karma thing too...you cant judge a book by it's cover.

I'm not gonna get involved with the original post of this horrible thread but....I just wanted to say that this was the only post that I thought Wow great answer! Nice job...

Agreed, well said Deryck.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

People can wax poetic about the history, but the argument that "it's more beautiful in the setting sun" could pretty much be said about any piece of ground. My local muni is glorious as the sun sets.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

People can wax poetic about the history, but the argument that "it's more beautiful in the setting sun" could pretty much be said about any piece of ground. My local muni is glorious as the sun sets.

But the setting sun accentuates the extremity of the hills and hollows, proving that the course is not, by any, means a "field" as someone wrote.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

But the setting sun accentuates the extremity of the hills and hollows, proving that the course is not, by any, means a "field" as someone wrote.

A "field" implies a crop. It looks more like a meadow.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Agreed, well said Deryck.

Thank you! I think many forget that in the 1800s, there weren't "any" golf courses?? lol. So to build something at that time from straight imagitaion that can stand up to what exists today speaks to levels beyond comprehension. All of the beautiful courses that many speak of today have had the advantage of taking other examples and either adding or improving upon them in creating a new course masterpiece. St. Andrews grew from nothing really besides imagination.

How can anyone in this post argue against something that spawned this game and after almost 200 years, still ends up in a debate? Like really think about it everyone. We are debating a golf course that was built almost 200 years ago...doesn't that say something ???????????????

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• 4 years later...
Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!