IGNORED

Hook shots with Ping G5 Driver

Note: This thread is 6442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read on many Golf magazines that when using a 460cc driver you have to really position the ball in the middle of your left foot and place the ball higher than club face.

However, after following this instruction, my shot hooks and flew left miserably. My Ping G5 driver's club face is "closed" when I position the ball in the middle of my left foot.

Any suggestion?

Ping G5 Specs:
Loft 10.5 degree, Shaft Regular Ping TFC AX1 45" 1/4, Grip White
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

• Administrator
However, after following this instruction, my shot hooks and flew left miserably. My Ping G5 driver's club face is "closed" when I position the ball in the middle of my left foot.

The simple answer: don't close the face. You still have to keep it square. Check to see where your hands are.

And "low" is probably because of "closed." Further up in your stance should produce a higher ball flight, as you sweep up on the ball.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wel...well... still the same (shame) thing up here...

i've always said nobody can fix your hook here without seeing how do you hook and how do you swing.

free tip, swing straight and you'll shot better ;)

Is this right?? Look at the club face...

Even when I move the ball to the right, the face is still closed....
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

RK,

Is the G5 new? What were you using before that?

I was also having terrible hooking problems with my driver (see my latest post). Lately, it's gotten better, at least on the practice tee. Here is what I did:

I looked at my swing on video and saw an extremely flat swingplane (on the backswing) with no width. It was so flat that I was actually rerouting the club to a steeper angle on the downswing, causing me to hit down on the ball with a closed face. Result, a low hook with no distance. When I opened the face to compensate - you guessed it - a wicked slice. I'm sure a pro would have seen this immediately (I just didn't want to spring for a lesson this late in the season) so my first piece of advice is to visit a pro, or, failing that, look at some video sequences of your driver swing. You may see the cause and then be in a position to correct it. By the looks of the grass in your photo, you are somewhere where you can play golf alot longer than we can here. I'm already checking my ski equipment in anticipation of putting the clubs away.

Second, I took a hard look at the equipment I was using. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was using a draw biased taylormade R5 dual, 10.5 degree loft. This club is meant to cure slices and has a closed face and heel weighting. The Taylor has been in my bag for a couple of years and I've had mixed results with it. It's a very long club when you catch in right but if your don't . . . Lately, I've been testing a new club that a local clubfitter put together for me. It's a Wishon head, 420cc (somewhat smaller than the taylor), neutral face angle, 11 degree loft with heel weighting to promote closing the face during the swing. Shaft is an SK Fiber Lite Revolution I cut to 43.5 inches. While it's not perfect yet, I am getting better ball flight with this club, plus some swing changes I've made. I can still hit a hook with this club, but more often than not I'm getting soft fades or straight shots that fly medium high. I'm not sure how your G5 is biased but if it is draw biased and you're hitting hooks, you may need to make some subtle changes in your swing. Get a good pro or a video camera - good luck!

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

Is this right?? Look at the club face...

it is indeed - same as Cobra Speed drivers, Cleveland HiBore, etc. You could try to alter your grip, stands, swing - but what's the point. Obviously you're squaring the face at impact just fine - and you don't need a 'anti-slice' driver.

I'd look into the TP line of taylor made, titleist (is still closed, but much less) or any of the 'tour only' clubs, which are actually slightly open at set up. Could be expensive, but who told you to get that good

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!