IGNORED

My swing is in shambles

Note: This thread is 5050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 23 days away from playing in my first tournament and my swing is absolutely terrible right now. I'm beginning to grow impatient with the tournament quickly approaching.

I played 9 holes today and hit a total of one fairway simply because I got a hop off a tree. Every tee shot I hit was a dead pull hook. I did hit one fade but that was my second tee shot on Hole 4. With my low irons just about every shot was the same deal, a nasty pull hook. Didn't hit anything higher than a 7 Iron though because my tee shots were so bad I was punching out and hitting a long iron into just about every green. The only highlight of my game were my wedge shots which were very good as usual.

I don't know what to do. I've been struggling with this for the last week. I don't know if it's the result of not playing in the week prior or what.

I've gotten to the point where I just hope my tee shot stays in play, as well as my long irons.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Nerves. Its times like that where I go back to the basics, and play a round with an old golf buddy who has watched you lay several times before. Maybe he or she can see a difference in what you are doing. Its hard to say based on your post what the problem is, unless you are just trying to kill the ball everytime thinking about the tourney. Relax...keep your mouth open during your swing, and DONT lock your arms and grip tight.

Nerves. Its times like that where I go back to the basics, and play a round with an old golf buddy who has watched you lay several times before. Maybe he or she can see a difference in what you are doing. Its hard to say based on your post what the problem is, unless you are just trying to kill the ball everytime thinking about the tourney. Relax...keep your mouth open during your swing, and DONT lock your arms and grip tight.

lay=play...oops

3 weeks is loads of time to find a swing. Loads of time.

I suggest working on putting if you are struggling with your swing. Your putter can save you in a tournament, the putter is the great equalizer. This way your mind gets away from thinking about your swing, but lets your still think you are working hard on your game.

Good luck.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 weeks is loads of time to find a swing. Loads of time.

Putter...yea. The one club I neglect to practice as much as I should. Thankfully, the golf gods have smiled upon thy putting stroke as of late. It wont be long and Ill be cursing that little club that kills. Good advice sir, I'm going to take it myself and hit the practice green in the AM.

if you're hitting pull hooks that means your clubface is shut and you're swinging in to out. you're probably aiming farther right to compensate, but it's likely only making it worse. go to the range and stand open a little bit to your target, taking half swings with a 7 iron until you stop pulling it while maintaining your flying wedge. you might have to feel like you're holding open the clubface to do this, which isn't a bad thing. once you start to hit it straighter, aim back square to your target and you should be able to hit a 5-10 yard push draw and push fade because you now know how to hit those shots. the key is to take easy swings.

I find that when I pull shots it's because I didn't start my downswing with a hip slide (or enough of one). When this happens, too much of my weight remains on my back foot causing my lower body to feel "stuck" and my upper body ends up "spinning out". As a result, I get an OTT move and my swing path goes severely out to in. At that point, I work on both hip slide and flying wedge.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

if you're hitting pull hooks that means your clubface is shut and you're swinging in to out. you're probably aiming farther right to compensate, but it's likely only making it worse. go to the range and stand open a little bit to your target, taking half swings with a 7 iron until you stop pulling it while maintaining your flying wedge. you might have to feel like you're holding open the clubface to do this, which isn't a bad thing. once you start to hit it straighter, aim back square to your target and you should be able to hit a 5-10 yard push draw and push fade because you now know how to hit those shots. the key is to take easy swings.

Went to the range today and tried it. Worked very nicely and I think I've got my swing back on track. Thank you.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I'm 23 days away from playing in my first tournament and my swing is absolutely terrible right now.

Small piece of advice....DO NOT take the tournament too seriously....just go out and play...enjoy the people you are playing with and try and just have a great time....

My first tournament round I ever played was, to this day, one of the best rounds I ever had.......we were in threesomes and one of my playing partners was a good friend (that helped)......we drank and smoked dope just like every other round we played at that time in my life and, as a second flight guy, I was in 4th place overall in the tournament (i only had two fingers left in my fifth of Jack Daniels at the end of my round...I was hammered).....came into round 2 with a agonizing hangover and didn't play great, but had a great time....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Went to the range today and tried it. Worked very nicely and I think I've got my swing back on track. Thank you.

no problem man, glad i could help. now i just need to straighten my own swing out, lol.

Note: This thread is 5050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!