IGNORED

Pet Peeves

AceDunk
Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1.  Stogie guy.  You stink and you are a cliche.  Please go play with Pro Shop guy, he has the new Nike 20XI hat AND balls...he might break 100 this week!

2.  Cut off sleeve t-shirt guy.  Come on...was the wife-beater in the laundry?

3.  The "whaddya think?  Smooth wedge?" guy standing over his first drive in the fairway all day with 147 to the front.

4.  The "pick it up" guy.  As he stands over his 4th putt for a crowd pleasing 9.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Seriously, put the flag back. I'll head to the little executive course as soon as they open to get 9 in before work and 8 out of the 9 flags are out of the hole. At first I thought this was a course maintenance thing, but when I saw the guy on the mower have to get off and pick up the flag, then hold onto it while he mows the green and put it back where it goes I thought there was no way that it wasn't the work of a lazy player at the end of the previous day. Sometimes it happens to me in the middle of the day. Ugh.

That's the first I've ever heard of that.  Pretty lazy or absent-minded of somebody to not put it back.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Twice within the last six weeks I was placed in a fivesome in our gangsome. Yesterday ,it messed up my rythm so much I , picked up my ball and walked off in the middle of the round. That is the first time I have ever quit, and most likley the last.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by wildebeest

Seriously, put the flag back. I'll head to the little executive course as soon as they open to get 9 in before work and 8 out of the 9 flags are out of the hole. At first I thought this was a course maintenance thing, but when I saw the guy on the mower have to get off and pick up the flag, then hold onto it while he mows the green and put it back where it goes I thought there was no way that it wasn't the work of a lazy player at the end of the previous day. Sometimes it happens to me in the middle of the day. Ugh.

You're out before the mowers? Are you the first golfer of the day?

At my home course, near the end of the season, we had to pull the flags and leave them off to the side of the green. It keeps moose from coming onto the green and bunting the flagsticks.  I'm totally serious.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Gimmie putts.  Played last week with three other guys and if it came within three feet of the hole on the correct line, they would try to give the putt.

The other thing that really bugs me is people that are too lazy to repair their ball marks on the greens and it seems particularly bad on certain courses.  There is one course I play on occasion (mostly because I pay 1/4 of what everyone else pays) and the greens are just littered with ball marks.  Most of the other courses I play have nearly flawless greens, not sure if the players have more pride or if the course just has better maintenance.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

When people putt, and it misses by 3 feet then they pretend not to take it seriously. Then they just tap it back with the putter from behind the hole and miss, but still count it as if they would of made it if they took their time.

Take your time and finish out.

It's a sly way of making those wobbly 3 footers every time.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

When people putt, and it misses by 3 feet then they pretend not to take it seriously. Then they just tap it back with the putter from behind the hole and miss, but still count it as if they would of made it if they took their time.

Take your time and finish out.

It's a sly way of making those wobbly 3 footers every time.

I don't complain when people give or take "gimmes", but rapping the ball aimlessly at the hole is lame. If it finds the botom of the cup, the guy will say "I should putt like that all the time" or for a miss he'll pretend it was conceded even though we're not actually in a match. Other guys are falling all over themselves to give it after the fact because they want the same done for them, "Oh that was good", "you can't count that", and my favourite, "Well I already wrote down 5, so I guess it was good".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Two things really irk me.

I don't mind playing with high-handicap golfers.  Honestly, I don't hang out with a bunch of aspiring pros--I like to play with friends who enjoy the game, and most of them aren't threatening to break 90.  But guys who stand over a shot for 2 minutes, and take six practice swings, only to hit it 15 yards, and then repeat the routine.  HIT THE FREAKING BALL ALREADY!!  If you want to work on plane, or setting the club, show up 45 mins early and grab a bucket.

People who aren't paying attention to whose turn it is.  Be ready to hit when it's your turn to hit.  (Frequently it's the same people described above.)  After I've hit my approach, and I'm thinking about the birdie putt I'm about to hit, it totally throws off the groove to look over and see you, sitting in your cart, looking at me looking at you, and then you suddenly realize your ball isn't going to magically levitate and fly to the hole.  Maybe you were hoping I'd come over there and hit it for you?  Nope.  So now you get out of the cart, walk to the ball and look at the lie and shot.  Then you walk back to the cart, grab a stick.  Put it back, grab another.  Walk to the ball and address.  Back up and take a practice swing.  And another.  And another.  Walk back to the cart and grab the first club you picked up.  Back to the ball for four or five more practice swings.  Then you duff the shot about 20 yards.  Back to the cart, clean the club, put it in the bag.  Drive 20 yards.  Sit there in your cart, looking at me looking at you, and wondering who is out.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It happened again today: literally 8 of the 9 flags were laying on the green. Also, I saw something I never thought I'd ever see... I'll spare you SandTrappers with weak stomachs by only saying that it rhymed with "fused grampon".

I also for the first time in my life was disgusted to find a used one in the bottom of the cup

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

Originally Posted by snofrog

I also for the first time in my life was disgusted to find a used one in the bottom of the cup

There's all kinds of fun stuff laying around on this course. Apparently a hawk uses the ball washer on #5 as his mouse-gutting perch, so every once in a while there's a hollowed-out rodent waiting for ya... I guess it keeps things interesting.

Somebody must be playing a practical joke on you guys.  That stuff is ridiculous.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Cell phones going off out on the course... if you desperately need a phone with you turn the damn thing to vibrate and just check it every so often.

Remember to repair your pitch marks and replace your divots. Rake the bunker you've just been in and try not to spoil someone else's round. If everyone does that we'll all be happy.

I hate when people leave the rakes outside the bunkers. They belong IN the bunkers. Our rakes even say to leave them in the bunker on the handle, but people still leave them outside the bunkers.

Originally Posted by Merfal

I hate when people leave the rakes outside the bunkers. They belong IN the bunkers. Our rakes even say to leave them in the bunker on the handle, but people still leave them outside the bunkers.

They belong wherever the course says they belong, if they say anything at all. At my course outside seems to be most common and of course they always collect in one spot on the wrong side. Years ago I preferred them in the bunker when I was cutting the rough and outside the bunker when playing. Personally I think all bunkers should be waste bunkers with no rakes.

My pet peeve is when they do green maintenance but still charge full price.
About a month ago I played a course that did this. You could almost hardly putt on the greens and they had the nerve to charge full price.

Surely this doesn't happen everywhere does it?

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!