IGNORED

Carrying Weapons (on the golf course)

6iron
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would see no sense in taking a gun to go golfing. If someone pulls a gun on you while you golf, then that is that. What are you gonna do pull yours out and then there is a chance you both die. It is stupidity. Just give him your shit and live. I am in bad parts of Cleveland all the time and I still don't carry one, just walk around deep(not being alone). The only time I will every carry is when I pick up hunting as a hobby. I don't care if people carry, but come on you are golfing, so you most likely have a lot to live for and bringing a gun can increase the chance that you die.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I ever thought I would need to carry on the golf course, I wouldn't play at that course.

It isn't about the course, I play on two of the finest courses in Newport Beach, It's about violent crime these days and it happens everywhere

I have a funny gun toting story here: When I was in the military I was stationed in Rapid City, South Dakota. I lived off base in an apartment and my garage slot was about 200 yards from my apartment entrance. Anyways, I had a concealed carry and always packed my Glock .40, not because I'm paranoid, but because I'm smart and I could! So one night as I was turning the corner(true story folks), a drunk Native American met me at the corner wih a Jason Voorhies mask and a hockey stick and hollered and screamed something I could not interpet.
I just pulled my shirt tail up and said, "that's cute, this is what I carry."

Needless to say, he left!

In my Nike Sport Cart Bag:
Driver: Burner SUPERFAST TP 10.5*
3 Wood Burner SUPERFAST
5 Wood SQ Dymo
Irons(4-GW) SZ Vokey Oil Can 56* 64* TP WedgePutter Oz Mallet 6Ball: ProV1x

It isn't about the course, I play on two of the finest courses in Newport Beach, It's about violent crime these days and it happens everywhere

How many violent crimes,or even robberies, have happened on those two courses?

I am guessing none, based on your cities crime rate. Pretty low violent crime rate where you live.

I don't currently carry, but I have no problem at all with those who legally do so. I have consisdered obtaining a permit, which is relatively easy where I live, but just haven't "bit the bullet" pun intended.

I believe that anyone legally able to purchase a firearm should also be able to legally carry that firearm, to a degree. Some states require a completion of a course before issuing carry permits, and done correctly that is reasonable. The best of these courses cover when it is appropriate to use deadly force, as well as basic firearm safety. After requirements are met, many states are "shall issue" which means that if the person is legal to own a firearm and completes the application and course if required, the permit must be issued--it is not at the discrection of the sheriff or whatever.

I think you will find that over the last few years in states where concealed carry permits have been implemented, crimes on individuals have decreased. This is not related to gang violence, etc -- done with ILLEGAL firearms. Criminals will always have weapons--to me it is important that the citizens be allowed to have them too.

If I ever decide to obtain a permit, I will probably carry anywhere, anytime I am legally allowed. Actually I would probably not carry to my usual golf courses, but there are some I might. The firearm is a tool, a very specialized tool, but a tool. I went out on a friends pontoon boat, and we carried life jackets. The boat is in good condition, the weather was good, I did not expect to fall off, but no one considered us paranoid for having life jackets. In fact, it is the law. The firearm can be a life jacket; it does no good left on the beach.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it's a golf course......

If you can't be relaxed there where can you be relaxed?

What's this obsession with guns in america?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

no offence but its things like this that make me love it that im English and not American, id hate to have to carry a gun around to protect myself wherever i go, it'd be unthinkable to even contemplate that over here to be honest

Let me start by saying I am not american... and only live in the US on a non permanent basis.

By reading your post I can see that you are really naive as to how the world really works. America may seem like an episode of bonanza to you "civilized" brits, but the notion of being ready, willing and able to defend yourself is much closer to reality than the illusion that your civilized way of life keeps you safe. Safety by the organization of society and modern civilization to me is a 500 ton ball being help up by a tiny thread. I think we would see things fall apart rather quickly as we have in the near past (in terms of the age of humanity) during a major crisis. At the point when things fall apart, what would you rather have? Your civilized demeanor, refusal to carry or use arms, that oxford degree.... or... Muscles, strength, knowledge in self defense, white weapons and firearms. My point is, why not have both?

Let me start by saying I am not american... and only live in the US on a non permanent basis.

I guess that's why america attacks random countries on the map.

Lots of guns isn't a good idea most of the time. If you get into a fist-fight, you'll get a few bruises but you'll survive. Get into a gun-fight there's a good chance somebody will die. Giving anybody the chance to get a gun is a terrible idea. A maniac could go around on a killing spree (which has happened in the past).

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I don't see how the golf course is any different then another public place. A person that chooses to carry does so because he wants to be able to protect himself, and the fact is that an incident can easily happen on a golf course...so why not carry?

I'm guessing that the kids sitting in the classroom at Va Tech would have never guessed that it was an unsafe place to be?

Open carry is legal in VA, and concealed permit is a minimal hassle...I need to get off my butt and get my permit.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Really? Your really gonna go there?

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

Wow, there are golf courses that bad in the states? I couldn't imagine feeling threatened on a golf course.

As for carrying guns, I would never see the need to, most people don;t and most get through their life just fine.

I have hunted all my life, and back in NZ, my father manufactured rifle barrels so I have owned a few firearms, but never seen the need to carry one, but America is a far more dangerous place where carrying a gun MAY make things feel more comfortable.

Also, most of the time, having a gun on you won't help.

James, that is why Ireland is always rated one of the top places to live.

Intentional homicide rates per 100,000 population by region and subregion, 2004

West and Central Europe 1.5
Central America 29.3
North America 6.5

I would love to live in Ireland. That country seriously has sense.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I don't carry a gun. I've never even seen a gun in person, other than in a store.

I would never play at a course where I felt it was necessary to have protection with me. That just takes the fun out of the game.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

I do not carry a firearm, but I know how to operate one well.

How does a maniac going on a killing spree differ from a maniac blowing up a coffee shop in the middle east? or a train in spain? or a church in ireland? Do you think that America invented maniacs? Or that allowing citizens to bear arms created maniacs? Like I said, I do not arm myself... but I don't pretend that civility is ironclad and I am not blinded by illusion that safety is guaranteed. To the contrary, I have versed myself in defense just in case. I hope for the best, but if things break down, it will be people like me you'll want by your side.

Brings new meaning to the word... FORE!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't want just anyone to have a gun to use at their own discretion on the golf course. How threatened do they have to feel before they use it? I don't know and neither do they. People get worked up and lose their temper. Unfortunately what what have otherwise been a fist fight turns into a homicide.

My ex-girlfriend's uncle got angry with a guy in an apartment complex, punched him and pushed him down. It would have probably ended there but the other guy 'carried' so *punch drunk* he unloaded the entire clip on the girlfriends uncle.

People are naturally hostile on golf courses anyway. I know, I'm there everyday. I can't imagine what would happen if some had guns when they threw their temper tantrums.

Gotta love shotgun starts...

I'm going to put a pistol grip on my putter...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!