IGNORED

What causes pulled and low trajectory?

Note: This thread is 4996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every once in a while I get into a funk where I will pull the ball left (driver and irons) and hit low shots that feel solid. It feels to me like my swing is too vertical when this is happening, but it is hard to tell. I am trying to learn how to diagnose my problems so I can fix them on the course, since doing the same thing and expecting different results just doesn't work like you would hope haha. Thoughts?

O and I have been trying to keep my weight forward recently pushing my divot in front of the ball, but it is rather deep at times and is about 2-3 inches long.

For right handed golfers, a pulled shot (one that goes dead left of where you are aiming) occurs when the path of the club is outside to in and the club face is square to the path. If you took the same club path but had the club face open to the path, you would get a pull slice.

The reason the ball is coming out low as well is because the club face has been delofted. You've closed the face and its facing left, hence the ball going in that direction.

This video explains the likely reason for you hitting your pulled shots.

This Flying Wedge drill from Nick Clearwater can also help you out as well.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The outside-to-in and solid pull can sometimes be traced to a partial chicken-wing on downswing. If this is case, to prevent make sure shoulders rotate down and under on downswing.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Two things that used to have me hitting a lot of dead pulls: standing too close to the ball and getting too laid off at the top of the backswing. Both will have you coming back to the ball very steeply with the clubface closing fast.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Not seeing your swing is a disadvantage but I usually look to how active the legs are when someone hits pulls and hooks alot. Generally, overactive legs, ie. too much movement on downswing, causes pulls where as too little leg activity causes pushes.

Try with your feet fairly close together just timing your left knee flexing in toward the ball on backswing and right knee flexing inward toward the target on downswing. When the timing is correct, you will hit great shots, speed up that action and you will hit pulls. Amateurs have trouble timing the leg action and pro's work on it constantly. When someone's swing goes awry, it can often be tied to the legs.
Every once in a while I get into a funk where I will pull the ball left (driver and irons) and hit low shots that feel solid. It feels to me like my swing is too vertical when this is happening, but it is hard to tell. I am trying to learn how to diagnose my problems so I can fix them on the course, since doing the same thing and expecting different results just doesn't work like you would hope haha. Thoughts?

A closed clubface seems to me to be the problem.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Whenever i start pulling the ball dead left it's because i dont clear my hips with my downswing allowing my arms to get in front of my body. Just something to think about.

In the Bag:

DRIVER: Taylormade r9 9.5*
IRONS: Ping G2 3-PW
WEDGE: Cobra 52* GAP OversizeWEDGE: Cobra 57* Trusty RustyWEDGE: Cleveland 60* CG10PUTTER: Ping I-Anser bladeBALL: Taylormade Penta

Note: This thread is 4996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!