IGNORED

New Driver Feels nothing like Demo! Why?

Note: This thread is 4280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

did you only hit the demo one into a net? many times drivers can feel great hit into a net but when you hit them actually in the air it can be a a different story, im sure you know this though being a 1 handicap

It wasn't one out of a fitting cart was it? When I got fitted for my previous driver shaft, it felt really tinny, like a taylormade driver and but when the shaft was installed into my 909d2 it felt much smoother. I know they say that it is supposed to be the same with the wrench system, but to me it feels much more hollow

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

You may want to put it on a frequency machine and get the true flex. Even though they both may have an "S" on the shaft you never know what you are getting from the OEM's.

I have the same problem...I hit the demos like a pro, but as soon as I buy one and put it in the bag it takes a few months to get comfortable. I get the same results when someone hands me their new club...I can hit any shot with a club that I don't own. That's one of the reasons I liked Second Swing (used club store). They let you try out clubs on the course...hit them great as well, until I bought it. Stupid brain, it's always getting in the way..

• 1 year later...

A pretty common problem I feel that occurs throughout sport and in the everyday world. Production, Quality Control etc. all have an impact.  Same reason that some ski boots fit you better even though they are all supposed to be the same size etc.

Have a similar frustration that the latest drivers all promise so much but it is difficult to make the choice and even when I have demo'd several versions of the same model they are never all quite the same...

Originally Posted by dkglf

You may want to put it on a frequency machine and get the true flex. Even though they both may have an "S" on the shaft you never know what you are getting from the OEM's.

^^^ This!  Along with manufacturing tolerances, the new head and the demo head could be several actual measured degrees off from one another in both loft and face angle.  Typical weight tolerances for heads are +/- 3 grams, so there could easily be a 6 gram difference (or more) between the demo head and the new club's head.That, along with the actual measured frequency of the shaft, and the actual shaft weight, the balance point...... oiy, there are a TON of reasons why the demo is NOT anywhere close to being identical to the new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess that makes it all the more difficult to really select the club that will work for you....reminds me of a time 10 years ago when I rented snowboard boots last minute at the resort after I forgot mine!  Wore them for the weekend, and they clearly had already been used that season.  BUT they were comfortable as anything so when I got back to the shop I offered $50 for them then and there and walked away with used, but perfectly fitting, snowboard boots...

Now if only there was a way to somehow demo clubs in the same manner...the search continues!

Did the demo have a removeable shaft?

Didn't see the answer to that question.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

• 2 months later...

Despite modern manufacturing methods etc. nothing is ever exactly the same.  Quite possible that your demo club has a slightly different weighting etc, than the one you bought...also as you play with a club, over time the flexing etc. means that it feels differently!

Originally Posted by DavidFehertysBike

It could be variances in the respective club head and shaft construction. If you line up a bunch of the same model club makes and put them on a swing machine they will all produce slightly different numbers. Perhaps the demo is just a "hot one"

Well here's to always finding the "hot one".  I tend to agree - there is no way all clubs can be made exactly alike.  That is what is so important about being able to demo as many clubs and for as long as you need.  Absolutely required!

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

^^^ This!  Along with manufacturing tolerances, the new head and the demo head could be several actual measured degrees off from one another in both loft and face angle.  Typical weight tolerances for heads are +/- 3 grams, so there could easily be a 6 gram difference (or more) between the demo head and the new club's head.That, along with the actual measured frequency of the shaft, and the actual shaft weight, the balance point...... oiy, there are a TON of reasons why the demo is NOT anywhere close to being identical to the new one.

Why aren't the "real" specs put on individual clubs?  For example, loft may be stamped as 10.5* on a row of (pick your favorite driver), but manufacturing tolerances could be off by a bit. So even though the stamp says 10.5*, why couldn't a label (probably handwritten) be placed with the real measured specifications (e.g., 10.1*)? Could put measured loft head weight, face angle, shaft info like cpm, etc. on it.

It would make buying one similar to the demo club easier.

To answer my own question: It would take more time and effort in getting the club to the sales floor. With alternative answers that many of us (including me) wouldn't know what to do with the data, and that for most of us our swing faults are greater than the differences between the clubs.

Still,...

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!