IGNORED

Losing balls (to nowhere)

trickymicky69
Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Happened to me the other day. Hit it alright, nut into the first cut of rough. I saw exactly where it went, walked down to find it and it was gone. It was early in the morning and I was the only one on the course. I probably spent 15 minutes looking around for it because I was obsessed with finding it at the time. But poof, it was gone.

I figured squirrels must have taken it.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

Happened to me the other day. Hit it alright, nut into the first cut of rough. I saw exactly where it went, walked down to find it and it was gone. It was early in the morning and I was the only one on the course. I probably spent 15 minutes looking around for it because I was obsessed with finding it at the time. But poof, it was gone.

Yeah, I have done that a few times. It kind of sucks, especially when it's a decent fairway shot too.

I bought a dozen of Z-Star Srixon Yellows and played them today for the first time. They really glow in the fairway and when you hit a long iron onto a green you know where your ball is. They spin and stop like other similarly priced balls and are pretty durable too. I like them a lot.
I always watch my ball untill it stops rolling or goes out of sight when I hit one out of bounds. It helps not to turn your head when you know you've hit a bad shot then go to where you think the ball went and try to find it. Keep your eye on it untill you can't see it anymore.
I learned this when I bird hunted in my twenties. I had a good birddog but sometimes he needed a little help finding dead birds that I shot in the thick stuff.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

I bought a dozen of Z-Star Srixon Yellows and played them today for the first time. They really glow in the fairway and when you hit a long iron onto a green you know where your ball is. They spin and stop like other similarly priced balls and are pretty durable too. I like them a lot.

Are the Srixon's any good? Performance wise.

Are the Srixon's any good? Performance wise.

They are almost identical to Titleist.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

During the practice rounds, do you guys take a penalty in these cases?

Actually the penalty, if you were playing strictly by USGA rules or in a tournament, would be that of a lost ball, stroke and distance. Meaning you'd have to go back to the tee (assuming it was your tee shot you lost) and you'd be hitting 3. Yeah, it sucks.

However, I realize that 99% of casual round golfers would just drop because it's less hassle and keeps play moving, but that's actually against the rules.

Today, I watched my partners ball go through a small bush and never took my eye off the line... We never found the ball.

About a month ago I hit a dead straight drive. This particular fairway has a 30-yard-wide x 100-wide-long section of rough cut into the center of the fairway right at the landing zone. I "lost the ball" and accidentally hit the wrong ball to the green before I recognized the miscue. I played the next day, and found my ball by accident, while looking for that days partners' ball from the previous day 5-feet from where I was looking. Clear as mud huh?

Hitting into the rough on my course is an issue even when you know "exactly" where it is!

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

I once hit a decent 5-iron and watched it land maybe 150+ yards and then roll. I watched the ball hit the fairway to the left of the fairway and take a low bounce. It couldn't have rolled more than another 20 feet. I got up there, and myself and my playing partner couldn't find it after 3 full minutes of looking. I would've sworn I knew the location of the ball to 10 feet, and there was hardly anything off the fairway to loose the ball in, but it was not to be found.

That's just the most frustrating time it's happened. I've had it happen to me many, many times. Usually the cause is that ball sliced worse than I thought or didn't carry as far as I thought it did.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

This happens to me on occasion. I play with a pretty consistent group of friends, though, and we'll usually watch each others shots and help each other look for balls, so we minimize the loss of balls that we're not slicing into the woods.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

I was playing with my 14 yr old Grandson yesterday and he hit a 9i perfect from the left rough trying to get back in the FW and advance the ball. It went straight into the top of a tall palm tree and stuck . The point being nowhere is really somewhere, you just can't see it.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Were you playing at Lonnie Poole?

I wish... I was playing at my favorite little 9-holer Meadowbrook GC in Garner.

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

I was playing with my 14 yr old Grandson yesterday and he hit a 9i perfect from the left rough trying to get back in the FW and advance the ball. It went straight into the top of a tall palm tree and stuck

I was channel surfing last night and stopped by the Golf Channel. It was something about rules and balls stuck in trees. It looked like Faldo was climbing a tree to either hit the ball out or decide on a penalty. Another one had a ball nestled in a palm type tree but it looked like quite a climb.

.... and I thought I had some bad shots to hit from.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I was channel surfing last night and stopped by the Golf Channel. It was something about rules and balls stuck in trees. It looked like Faldo was climbing a tree to either hit the ball out or decide on a penalty. Another one had a ball nestled in a palm type tree but it looked like quite a climb.

If I remember correctly, he was disqualified under 20-7 (ultimately playing from the wrong place after taking a drop at the tree). After looking this up, I guessed right, and Pavin (his partner) told him he should just take a drop as he was going to take the correct route, heading back to replay the shot. He followed the wrong advice and got DQ'd.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!