IGNORED

driver distance

x-man
Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At dicks my swing speed was 103-105. i hit the ball 280 plus most of the time. my friend was 3 -5 faster than me but he only hits the ball around 250. it depends on your swing.

Yeah and at Dicks how far would you hit that driver with 6 degree loft and 48 inch shaft? 750 yds minimum and it probably wouldn't land.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Yeah and at Dicks how far would you hit that driver with 6 degree loft and 48 inch shaft? 750 yds minimum and it probably wouldn't land.

See, this is exactly what is wrong with this forum. People always have to exaggerate their driving distances. Everyone damn well knows with a 6 degree driver and 48 inch shaft he'd be carrying around 450 yards. Please, don't kid yourself with these wild distance proclamations.

300 yards at 105 mph is possible for a best effort, no i dont agree that he will average that distance, probably 260 or so would be a good average. I think that is about the swing speed for Michael Breed on the Golf fix and he averages about 275 or so and he's a pga instructor and im sure probably close to a scratch golfer. Im just saying whats possible, knowing how far ive hit my farthest drives with a slower swing speed than that. My longest drives have been downhill or from elevated tee or wind aided, etc. But they still count. A friend of mine has a driver swing speed in that range and ive seen him hit some drives in the 300+ range at his best when he hits it perfect in the sweet spot and perfectly straight. But usually about 250-260 is what he averages for an ok drive. I dont know why everyone thinks its so hard to believe the maximum distances that some people claim. Ive gotten close to 300 yards on downhill holes in optimum firm, hard and fast conditions, all it takes is a low ball flight with a good hard bounce on a concrete hard fairway and lots of roll and I know there's plenty of guys on here that hit it way farther than me. Now to CARRY the ball 300 yards with driver, that takes a monster pga tour type 120 mph swing speed, I maybe have seen one amateur golfer who could do that, this guy could crush the ball, he was about 6'1 and about 300 lbs and looked like he could play defensive end in the NFL. Granted the rest of his game wasnt as good but he could crush the ball 340 yards sometimes, was impressive to watch, sounded like a shotgun going off when he made contact.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

300 yards at 105 mph is possible for a best effort, no i dont agree that he will average that distance, probably 260 or so would be a good average. I think that is about the swing speed for Michael Breed on the Golf fix and he averages about 275 or so and he's a pga instructor and im sure probably close to a scratch golfer. Im just saying whats possible, knowing how far ive hit my farthest drives with a slower swing speed than that. My longest drives have been downhill or from elevated tee or wind aided, etc. But they still count. A friend of mine has a driver swing speed in that range and ive seen him hit some drives in the 300+ range at his best when he hits it perfect in the sweet spot and perfectly straight. But usually about 250-260 is what he averages for an ok drive. I dont know why everyone thinks its so hard to believe the maximum distances that some people claim. Ive gotten close to 300 yards on downhill holes in optimum firm, hard and fast conditions, all it takes is a low ball flight with a good hard bounce on a concrete hard fairway and lots of roll and I know there's plenty of guys on here that hit it way farther than me. Now to CARRY the ball 300 yards with driver, that takes a monster pga tour type 120 mph swing speed, I maybe have seen one amateur golfer who could do that, this guy could crush the ball, he was about 6'1 and about 300 lbs and looked like he could play defensive end in the NFL. Granted the rest of his game wasnt as good but he could crush the ball 340 yards sometimes, was impressive to watch, sounded like a shotgun going off when he made contact.

Think this may be an example of being unfamiliar with actual distances (no offense, I've been there)

With optimum launch angle, and a perfect smash factor, I don't see a 105mph SS hitting longer than 285 without some crazy wind or cart path interaction. And thats an absolute perfect swing. Usually when folks accuse me of hitting one 340, it's closer to 290 or 300. I could be wrong about the NFL guy, but your friends numbers don't match up.
Driver: r7 Superquad 9.5°
5W: Speed LD
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°
Irons: MP-57 3i-PW
Wedges: SM Oil Can 52° and 58°Putter: Rossa Daytona

Well, here's a theoretical max:

on the site where they have this graph, they show that this is the carry distance, not the total distance. if you can drive the ball 300 yards, that does not mean that you can land the ball at 300 yards. that means that your total distance depends on how far the ball goes after it hits the ground, which is different depending on where and when you play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Think this may be an example of being unfamiliar with actual distances (no offense, I've been there)

No they sure don't add up - I'm glad somebody else pointed it out first. Altitude and humidity can add a bit too, but maybe he only measured his swing speed one time (105) and exceeds that measurement on occasion. For guys who don't have really consistent swings, it is possible to occasionally have all the stars align and they meet the ball a little quicker than their average. To carry the ball 300 though, that would be pretty incredible. How would you even see that ball land? Hit and hope would be my guess.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Don't know where you find your numbers, but that is a book of fiction. Realistically, his

I got fitted a few years back and on the machine my swing speed was 108mph and my average distance was 275, that figure being with only 5 yards roll as the machine cannot calculate that so it was above 275 depending on the ground conditions, soooooo you,re wrong

i guess the way i figure distance is looking at how far the hole is from the tees i am playing (on a straight hole), and then see how far from the middle of the green i am then subtract that. the launch monitors at dicks said i have a carry distance of 245ish and a total distance of 260ish. but when i measure it on the course its always farther... it also has a lot to do with the air and weather and how hard the ground is.

Well all i know is what ive seen, not trying to make some outrageous claims. You should see some of the fairways around here, at one course some barely have any grass on them in spots, almost like hitting the cart path in certain areas. And again, those magical 300 yard drives dont happen that much for him. I only played i think a couple times with the other bigger guy so i dont know if he always hit it like that either. The 105 mph speed i got from him hitting a couple at dicks with a new taylormade supertri, i think one was 105 and the other was 106 and he hit it right at 250 on their monitor. I clocked in at 93 mph and 229 yards on my best of 2 with that driver, nice driver but $400 is a bit too steep for me but felt good though. Those are pretty close to typical distances, about 250 for him on average and around 225-230 for me. I think what some people dont realize is that pga tour players dial it down a notch or 2 for control and still can hit it 300+ yards, most can hit it farther than they do but would spray it all over the place just like many of us do. And yes, all of my longest drives were aided by either wind, cart path, hard, dry conditions, elevated tee, sometimes all of the above. Sometimes ive benefitted from the slope of the fairway, hitting the ball in just the right spot to get maximum roll, etc. And just as much as these have helped me, when they're against me, against the wind, uphill, wet, sloppy conditions, i might be lucky to hit it 175 yards with the driver. Conditions giveth and sometimes they taketh away. Not a reliable measuring stick.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

• Administrator
I got fitted a few years back and on the machine my swing speed was 108mph and my average distance was 275, that figure being with only 5 yards roll as the machine cannot calculate that so it was above 275 depending on the ground conditions, soooooo you,re wrong

No, he's not. With 108 MPH you're going to carry the ball - with absolutely perfect launch conditions, contact, etc. - 270 yards.

In other words, most of the time you're going to fly it about 240 to 250. 108 MPH is pretty good, but it's not going to fly the ball 270 and thus 275 with your 5 yards of roll. Maybe if it's a humid day in Colorado and you're hitting the ball pretty well that day. In other words, you're not that far off, but it's tough to be perfect.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No, he's not. With 108 MPH you're going to carry the ball - with absolutely perfect launch conditions, contact, etc. - 270 yards.

It was indoors on one of those machine things so that probably makes a difference Im not sure, the average came up 275, and the guy said that average isnt taking fairway conditions into consideration so Im pretty lost now lol

It was indoors on one of those machine things so that probably makes a difference Im not sure, the average came up 275, and the guy said that average isnt taking fairway conditions into consideration so Im pretty lost now lol

Those machines are adjustable for simulated elevation, so they don't always tell the truth. And since most of them are found in golf stores, I'd take what they tell you with a few grains of salt. After all, they want you to

buy that driver you're playing around with, so why not stroke your ego a little bit if that helps boost sales? I may sound cynical, but in average conditions I've never hit the ball as far on the course as I have on a simulator in a golf shop, and I DO live in Colorado.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I may sound cynical, but in average conditions I've never hit the ball as far on the course as I have on a simulator in a golf shop, and I DO live in Colorado.

You do, actually. The ones I've tried are pretty much spot on - bring your existing driver if you doubt the machine's accuracy or the golf shop's integrity. Caveat emptor.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

That's pretty accurate. My clubhead speed is right around 110, and my best strikes carry 265 yards roughly. My average carry of like 10 good swings is 236. According to my trajectory measurement software, 110 mph with a perfect strike can give my about 268 carry distance at 80° temp. I'm a pretty good driver, though. My average distance measured via (trusted, accurate) launch monitor is is 246.

I'm not going to even try to convince people of their driver distances anymore. I can spend all day basking in my real 246 average, a number I'm quite proud of.

• 3 years later...

I went to Sportcheck here in Canada on Monday and tried out 3 drivers: Callaway Xhot, Taylormade R1 and Taylormade SLDR and my swing speed averaged 103-105mph and the best club of the 3 was the R1. My average distance was 263 with an average ss of 103.3. I think the carry was 245 but I'm not 100% sure.

I went to Sportcheck here in Canada on Monday and tried out 3 drivers: Callaway Xhot, Taylormade R1 and Taylormade SLDR and my swing speed averaged 103-105mph and the best club of the 3 was the R1. My average distance was 263 with an average ss of 103.3. I think the carry was 245 but I'm not 100% sure.

In the nicest possible way, next time before you post on a 4 year old thread ask yourself whether it reallys needs to be brought back up to tell us how far you hit your driver.

If you didn't realise it was 4 years then no harm done but this isn't really a thread worth bringing back :beer:

Henry

In the nicest possible way, next time before you post on a 4 year old thread ask yourself whether it reallys needs to be brought back up to tell us how far you hit your driver.

If you didn't realise it was 4 years then no harm done but this isn't really a thread worth bringing back

Apologies, was not aware

Note: This thread is 3310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!