IGNORED

Woods vs Hybrids

Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, my friend, all clubs have a specific purpose. Are you going to tee off on a par 5 with a sand wedge? Hit a 40 yard shot into the green with a driver? The purpose of the game is to get the ball into the hole and that would be difficult to get accomplished if you don't know which club to use and when, wouldn't it? What hybrid would replace a 15 or 18 degree? if you look at the hybrids on the market today, they will have a number and a loft on them. If you look up standard iron lofts, you will see what the lofts are. So, it becomes pretty simple, BUT..... a hybrid club is an iron replacement not a fairway metal replacement. But, if you want to use them as such, you certainly can.

Hybrids are indeed replacing fairway woods. That is why you have 15* and 18* hybrids. To say they are iron replacements only is silly.

This sounds like a good thing to debate. The manufacturers tell Joe Lunchpail and Fred Doesntwannapractice that he can replace his irons with "hybrids" so he thinks they're irons. But if they're a iron replacement, what are they "hybrids" of? Irons and driving irons? Irons and fairway woods?

They're hybrids of irons and woods . They're small headed short shafted fairway woods. Are some of them made to "look like" irons at address? Sure they are. Just like some putters are made to look like the Starship Enterprise or a frog or a turtle. They're still putters.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

lol @ Starship Enterprise or a frog or a turtle.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Hybrids are indeed replacing fairway woods. That is why you have 15* and 18* hybrids. To say they are iron replacements only is silly.

I hit my hybrids longer than my irons so for me my hybrids replaced my woods moreso than my irons.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

Hybrids are indeed replacing fairway woods. That is why you have 15* and 18* hybrids. To say they are iron replacements only is silly

Huhhhhh, no it isn't ......... a 15* hybrid is replacing a 1i and a 18* hybrid is replacing a 2i !!!!!

But I agree more with Sean ...... the defenition hybrid, is about best of both worlds ..... I would say the length of an iron and the ballflight of a fairway, they are a bit in between ..... that's why they are called HYBRID ! Some are more like an iron (Adams Black Pro, Mizuno MP Fli-Hi, etc.) and most are more like a short shafted fairway wood (like Mizuno MP CLK, TM rescue, Titleist 909H, Cobra Baffler, etc.) Most people here use or see hybrids as a club for a certein distance, but I feel like they are more a great club for a specific purpose, like length from the rough, or a high soft landing at a long par 3....... Hybrids are not for everyone, some hit severe hooks with them, but some others find them great and easy, like in irons, there are GI hybrids and players hybrids.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Your 20* hybrid can replace 5 wood. 23* hybrid replaces 7 wood. a 16 degree hybrid can replace a 3 wood. I don't think you need any wood if you have the hybrid replacements.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Your 20* hybrid can replace 5 wood. 23* hybrid replaces 7 wood. a 16 degree hybrid can replace a 3 wood. I don't think you need any wood if you have the hybrid replacements.

You're probably right for some people. I doubt a hybrid exists that's a long as my 3-wood and I suspect many other people would agree - for them.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I only carry one hybrid in the bag right now, a 4 hybrid that fills some of the gap between my 5 iron and 7 wood, since I suck with my 3 and 4 irons. I don't carry a 3 wood, I carry just a 4 because the difference in length is marginal, and typically I didn't find myself in 3 wood range much, unless I used it off the tee. The driver, 4 wood, 7 wood, 4 hybrid setup works extremely well for me, I don't see a need why you would ever carry 3 fairway woods and 3 hybrids. It would be much better to carry a wider range of scoring clubs.

Sounds like a lot of woods to me!

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have the same hybrids as the OP. I like them, I find them extremely easy to hit with consistency. I also picked up a 3W over the past off season and it was nice addition as I can hit it about 20 yards further than my 3h off the tee. I don't see a need for any other woods at this point.

I have a similar set up as the OP as well. Distance coverage for me is the most important factor. My 3W is reliably 200 yards. 3H (19deg) 190 yds, 4H (22 deg) 180, 5i 170 etc. The gaps are covered with really not overlap.

I picked up an Adams A3 2H from a guy for $25 and have been working with it. It is about a 200 yard club for me and works well out of different lies. It does swing more like an iron than a wood IMO. My 3W needs a decent lie to work for me from the fairway. the 2H can dig out of more difficult lies and will have higher flight from the same fairway lie. I will switch the two depending on the course. I like the 3W better from the tee.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you say so. Maybe you should check with the manufacturers and see what they have to say about the hybrid.

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

After 40 years of golf I think there are no "rules" about what you should have in your bag other than you can only use 14 clubs.

I have 6 woods (including 3 hybirds) and 4 wedges. And the distances for my clubs is about every 10 yards out to 220 yards (driver goes farther). The key is to find clubs that you have confidence that you can hit well.

Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!