IGNORED

Best iPhone Golf GPS App?

Interesting thread. I have been looking into a golf GPS app for my iPhone, it seems like GolfShot has a lot of fans. $29.99 is fine with me since it is a one time fee. I pay more for golf balls than that!!

I've only played 1-2 rounds with Golfshot, but I'm pretty up to speed on the controls and I love it...The interface is nice & simple but it's pretty informative and the GPS was pretty much spot on, too.

Played one round and still had plenty of battery life (locked the screen constantly) with the iPhone 4.

Another vote for golfshot here. Battery life is a little bit of an issue, but I've learned to actually lock the phone after my approach shot, so that it doesn't keep the GPS active while getting to the green, waiting for playing partners to get on the green, chipping, and putting. Then I turn it back on to enter my score, and by the time I'm ready to tee off on the next hole, the GPS has fully reconnected to the point where it's accurate again.

The courses I've played with it seemed to have been entered very accurately, and the GPS signal itself is quite accurate. The scorecard is easy to use, and tracks statistics well. It will automatically email the scorecard to your playing partners if they're in your contacts, which I thought was cool. Overall well worth it.

-Andrew

Yeah, $30 is a lot in the iPhone app world but really it replaces a $300 GPS unit, in that regards it's incredibly cheap. I just used it last night and it just reaffirmed that it was probably the best $30 I have spent on golf stuff. It is so useful every single time I go out and play. Plus it has every course I play, even the small town ones around here that are missing from many other GPS apps.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

I too have had issues getting the charge to last for an entire round. I use a 3GS. I bought a little rechargeable external battery by Griffin called the Power Jolt
http://www.tipb.com/2010/01/27/revie...attery-iphone/
The battery pack isn't quite the size of a 9v battery and keeps really well in a valuables pocket in the golf bag. It gets you through the last 3-4 holes if you have to start a round with less than 100% charge

Older golfers beware. I've got golf card, but I don't use it because in order to see the screen I have to use reading glasses. Donning reading glasses multiple times during a round is a major PITA, also beware that sun glare makes it difficult to read the screen.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

+1 for golfshot
Use it on my 3GS. Prior to upgrading the OS to version 4 I was able to finish a round and still have juice left. Not anymore. Now I miss the last couple holes due to a dead battery. The three things that kill battery life for me:
3G (biggest battery sucker)
Corp email pushed to Phone
Gps

Debating whether to buy a mophie battery pack. I have read a lot of mixed reviews about it's longevity/durability plus other issues.

Guess I could always try and take my iPad out to the course since my iPhone apps sync to my iPad too so I have golfshot on their as well.

I also downloaded the golfplan app. It has got some good tips to use and the videos are short and easy to follow.

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

+1 Goflshot.

Does shotzoom do skydriod or whatever its called or do one on the andriod platform?

Driver905R Proforce V2 Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood906f2 Proforce V2 Stiff 15*
Hybrid:CPR Stiff 18*
Irons: DCI 4-PW
Wedges: CG10 Black Pearl 52*,56*,60*Putter: Futura or Redneck BubbaBall: Pro V1

My vote is for golflogix...

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Another Golfshot vote for me.

Been using it for a little over a year now on both the 3GS and the 4 and it's never steered me wrong. Sometimes the course marked distances at the teebox are waaaaaaaaaay off...and this little baby has helped me get over that bunker or lay up properly more times than I can count on the course.

Well worth the money.

I have both apps but only tried the Golfshot. I think if I used the Golfshot for every shot in the round then it would be dead before I finish playing. And yes I put it on powersave mode after every shot. The location feature on the iPhone just sucks up too much battery life for me.

« Keith »

I have both apps but only tried the Golfshot. I think if I used the Golfshot for every shot in the round then it would be dead before I finish playing. And yes I put it on powersave mode after every shot. The location feature on the iPhone just sucks up too much battery life for me.

Do you turn off WiFi when you play? Turn it off completely and it will help conserve battery, bc the phone won't constantly be looking for a wifi connection and it will stick with 3G.

You may already do that, but figured i'd throw it out there bc a lot of my friends hadn't heard of that feature.

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

Do you turn off WiFi when you play? Turn it off completely and it will help conserve battery, bc the phone won't constantly be looking for a wifi connection and it will stick with 3G.

Yup I turn off BT, WiFi, and turn down brightness to try to squeeze out the battery. Usually I use for about 9 holes and realize that my phone would be dead if I try and finish. Also, the yardage fluctuates about 5-10 yards at times which is quite big. Now with OS4.0, it seems to be a heavier load on the battery.

« Keith »

I purchased GolfShot from the app store, going to give it test this coming weekend. Yesterday I also received my MiLi Power Pack so I have zero concerns about battery issues, looking forward to trying this app on course.

• 4 weeks later...
Bit of a thread dredge but have to say this app is awesome. I have had an iphone 4 for 3 weeks now and have played 3 rounds with golfshot. First round I found that they had stuffed up half the holes on the course, given them the wrong number, so was a little disappointed. However that night I emailed photos of the scorecard to golfshot and they fixed them in about 5 days. Today I played again and they had even added in the dogleg on number 9 that I suggested.

The only slight hesitation I had was the battery life. However after the first 3 uses (all sub 4 hour rounds) I have yet to use more than 35% battery life. Today it only used 20% and I was looking at it for pretty much all shots more than 50m from the green. If you have an iphone buy this program, really easy to use and no flaws I can think of!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta