IGNORED

Vaseline and the driver!

rembrandt
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is a guy at our Country Club who uses vaseline on his driver club face. He says it cuts down on any slice or hook. Looks to me like it would also cut down on distance. Anyway, the manager here is upset cause he puts a glob of the stuff on the roof or fender of the carts. The junk is hard to get off and collects grease. People complain about it but he does it daily. Some people!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

its amazing what stupid things people will do to avoid correcting the flaws in their swings.

REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

its amazing what stupid things people will do to avoid correcting the flaws in their swings.

It is also not within the rules.. neither, by the way, is spraying your driver head with PAM. I also understand that some people have tried sandpaper on their wedges, teflon coating their driver heads, etc...

I agree about this being stupid. Why would anyone want to cheat when you are really only preventing yourself from getting better??

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I tie a string to my ball.

This way if it starts to slice or hook I can just pull the string and straighten it out.

Current bag:
Driver: TaylorMade 9.5* R-510
3-wood: TaylorMade 15* r7 TP
Hybrid: Nickent 3DX Ironwood
Irons: Hogan FTXWedges: 52* Hogan Riviera | 56* Cleveland TA 588 | 60* Hogan CarnoustiePutter: Cameron Detour 2Ball:NXT

Rude behavior aside, I'd "grease" his seat when he isn't looking and let him see first hand what he forces others to deal with. Guy sounds like a knuclehead.

Wow, that is one of the more ridiculous "quick fixes" I've ever heard of. I don't understand where people get these ideas. Why would you put a layer of petrollium over a metal face designed to aid in ball speed. Suggest to this guy that he practice and take lessons instead of ruining clubs and club property.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

Grease and Vaseline on the face of a driver have been a trick around for at least 40 years (in my memory, anyway). Twenty years or more ago somebody was actually selling some form of spray grease to do the same thing. it works because it cuts down on any form of spin.

Only recently have the golf technology gurus decided that was a good idea. Thus big, slippery metal drivers with no grooves in the sweet spot on almost every driver made today. Does grease contribute anything more? I don't know.

Hey, if the guy wants to cheat, that's his choice. But lathering a cart with Vaseline? Were it my club, he'd no longer be a member.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am actually curious to know how good of a golfer this bonehead is? If he is resulting to cheating and wacky quick fixes his game is probably already in the toilet.
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

R7 460 9.5 stiffV-steel 3 wood stiff/V-steel 5 wood stiff/2 iron hybrid reg.R.A.C OS2 irons reg.52, 56, & 60 deg. regularScotty Cameron Studio Design Newport II

This is an old hustlers trick. It certainly helped in the old days with persiminon drivers and balata balls, I question whether it is much help on modern equipment, which is already designed to optimize spin.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

It just seems like such a dumb thing to do, not to mention messy. Imagine what a Vaseline coated ball would look like after running through the fall leaves. LOL

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

All this talk about greased balls is making me a little uneasy. ;) If anyone starts talking stiif shafts I'm outa here. :0
  • Upvote 1
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Sounds like a story of baseball players overusing pine tar on their bats. Or Sammy Sosa corking his bat.

Where does this guy get the idea that greasing up the club is in any ways allowable in fair play?

agreed with allin

rick reilly wrote in his "who's your caddy?" book that dewey tomko, a famous poker playe/golf gambler, "greases" regularly. reilly tried it when he was with him and said he hit farther/straighter than he ever had in his life.

it may work but it all comes down to being an honest player. If he is doing this in tourneys than something should be done to stop this, but even if its only for his weekend round its not right. One of the main reasons I love this game is because of the "Gentleman's game" side of it. Anybody can cheat at golf (and probably get away with it) but a true golfer takes responsibility for penalties and plays through them. Like I said this may work but so does the trusty foot wedge from the rough, and thats cheating just the same.
REZGOLF

Currently in the bag-

funny, about 2 years ago i was out golfing with a buddy, we were talking on the first tee.. i was offering him the use of one of my callaway hots, explaining he would gain yardage rather than using his garbage top flite.. a guy behind us over heard and said coating your driver with chapstick will give you 5-10 yards off the tee because it cuts down the friction. I never tried it because i think its bull, but maybe its true after reading this thread.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!