IGNORED

My first PGA event....impressions

ronbo25
Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went to Wyndham Championship in Greensboro today to watch my first PGA event. Here are my impressions:

1) these guys hit the crap out of the ball - i can't believe how far they hit it
2) they swing so easy - other than driver , fw metals, they swing effortlessly. i was amazed how easy they swing
3) the smallest guy can hit the ball as far as any of them. Richard Johnson must weigh no more than 165, and hit the ball as long as anyone.
4) Glover and Snedeker barely take any time over the ball once they address it. wow, are they quick
5) I learned more watching these guys on the practice range than on the course
6) it looked awfully painful for that girl to walk a course in 5 inch heels (i don't care how awesome she looked in them)
7) can't wait for my next event

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

I went to Wyndham Championship in Greensboro today to watch my first PGA event. Here are my impressions:

Yep its an eye opener seeing these guys smack the crap out of the ball for the first time.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

I was no more than 10 feet to Ernie Els a few years back when he pulled his drive in the left rough on the par-5. The rough was easily 3-4 inches and the ball can't be seen from where I was standing. The marshal has to use a little flag to mark it. No way he could reach the green from where the ball was because it was way down in the rough and there are these tall pine trees just around 50-55 yards in front of him. He's punching out sideway, that's what I thought.

After a little talk with his caddie, Ernie got over the ball and just hit that thing straight above the tree line. I don't think I can hit the ball that high, even if I teed it up. The crowd were stunned. He wasn't very happy, though, since his shot went into the green side bunker.

What was most surprising to me the first time I saw the pros was the SOUND of the club hitting the ball. Particularly their iron shots. It's almost like there is no sound at impact, only the whoooosh as the ball takes off.

At the BellSouth Classic in 2002 (if memory serves), I watched Bob Tway hook a drive into the creek along the left side of a long par 5. He drops, pulls out his three wood and puts it on the green from about 260 yards like it was a wedge, and then proceeds to sink a 40-50 foot putt for birdie.
Yeah... these guys are good.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even the old guys hit the crap out of the ball. I remember going to a Champion tour event a few years ago and was amazed at how far they could hit it. I walked away feeling like a weenie.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

3) the smallest guy can hit the ball as far as any of them. Richard Johnson must weigh no more than 165, and hit the ball as long as anyone.

I saw Richard Johnson at the St.Jude a few years ago and he is small. I am only 5'8 and was taller than him. I was following his group because of Davis Love and he was hitting it right there with them. It's amazing. I went to this year's St.Jude and was standing right beside Zack Johnson, and to be so short (distance compared to tour...not height) ...he smashed his drive!!

As far as the heels go...there must be one at every tournament. Some of these girls dress up like they are entering a fashion show! Doesn't bother me at all though

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I've been to a couple PGA events (GMO's and the PGA C'ship at Whistling Straits) and what I was most impressed with was the touch around the greens these guys have. Yeah, they hit their drives far and straight and their irons pure, but no matter what shape they were in around the green (lie, angle, slope, green size) they would effortlessly chip/pitch/flop/putt the ball within a make-able putting distance 97 times out of 100. It's really an art form.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

As far as the heels go...there must be one at every tournament. Some of these girls dress up like they are entering a fashion show! Doesn't bother me at all though

Are they trying to attract a rich pro golfer, or just looking for attention?

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Some gals just like to look prettied up wherever they go.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I've been to a couple PGA events (GMO's and the PGA C'ship at Whistling Straits) and what I was most impressed with was the touch around the greens these guys have. Yeah, they hit their drives far and straight and their irons pure, but no matter what shape they were in around the green (lie, angle, slope, green size) they would effortlessly chip/pitch/flop/putt the ball within a make-able putting distance 97 times out of 100. It's really an art form.

This is the exact same thing I took from the pros when I saw them play. When they miss a green in the rough, sand, good lie, bad lie, down slope, up slope, short sided, etc etc etc, they get up and down almost every single time within 10 feet. When I was able to attend an event, the guys I saw where up and down within 5 feet every single time they missed the green.

That in my opinion is the absolute glaring difference between us average joes and the pros.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

One of the memories I have from the first PGA event I attended had nothing to do with the ballstriking (or even the lovely ladies in high heels) but was instead a brief window into the intensity of playing for a living when you're not one of the marquee stars. One player (Keith Clearwater) missed a putt at #10 at Riviera and came over to the side literally shaking in his whole body. Another guy (forget who) just seemed to get terrified as his golf crumbled a bit through the day. Saw similar things with other guys who hang around the cut line - while they looked calm and collected while hitting shots, the nervous energy they projected while waiting around was almost electric (and not is a good way). Really made me think how hard the life can be when your day-to-day paycheck depends on playing the game - the rest of us can have a bad day at work or even a bad 10 minutes and it probably doesn't affect us much, but these struggling PGA players can really be on the edge even if it seems their life is pretty spoiled.

One of the memories I have from the first PGA event I attended had nothing to do with the ballstriking (or even the lovely ladies in high heels) but was instead a brief window into the intensity of playing for a living when you're not one of the marquee stars. One player (Keith Clearwater) missed a putt at #10 at Riviera and came over to the side literally shaking in his whole body. Another guy (forget who) just seemed to get terrified as his golf crumbled a bit through the day. Saw similar things with other guys who hang around the cut line - while they looked calm and collected while hitting shots, the nervous energy they projected while waiting around was almost electric (and not is a good way). Really made me think how hard the life can be when your day-to-day paycheck depends on playing the game - the rest of us can have a bad day at work or even a bad 10 minutes and it probably doesn't affect us much, but these struggling PGA players can really be on the edge even if it seems their life is pretty spoiled.

Yea, think about some of those putts. Its like laying your car or even your house on the line for one putt.

I think they are just trying to get MY attention.....It works

Some gals just like to look prettied up wherever they go.

This. I know quite a few girls that just like to look good no matter where they go. Hell, any time I go out with my wife, I like to look good too. There is nothing wrong with it. I just don't see how they do it with 100+ temps and being pulled around by their guys.

Attracting a pro golfer was mentioned....I couldn't believe how many women (all the way up to my age) that chase Villegas down!! It was ridiculous!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!