IGNORED

Most overrated shots that always get talked about

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 4992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with a lot of the sentiment so far. Obviously that was a shot some of us would struggle with, but for a pro with a clean lie and a open line of sight, it wasn't has difficult as it was blown up to be. It was a good shot, not a great one.

I agree. A good shot, not a great one.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

When Tiger's tee shot on 16 sailed right of the green on Sunday at the 2005 Masters, my first thought was, "Everything funnels toward the hole from that spot. Davis Love chipped in from there a few years ago." When he made it, I simply muttered under my breath, "Predictable."

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

When Tiger's tee shot on 16 sailed right of the green on Sunday at the 2005 Masters, my first thought was, "Everything funnels toward the hole from that spot. Davis Love chipped in from there a few years ago." When he made it, I simply muttered under my breath, "Predictable."

Pretty much - it was only Nike who made a big deal out of it because his ball stopped on the lip for a moment. Just long enough for them to CGI a swoosh in there - lol - that shot was amazing, but the awkward celebration brought it down a few pegs.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Pretty much - it was only Nike who made a big deal out of it because his ball stopped on the lip for a moment. Just long enough for them to CGI a swoosh in there - lol - that shot was amazing, but the awkward celebration brought it down a few pegs.

Plus, he immediately followed that shot with a huge block on 17, bogeyed the last two holes, and still had to face a playoff with DiMarco. Phil basically shut the door on the field at 13 this year.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I completely agree....it was a good shot, no doubt about it, from the fairway it would of been a great shot.....but I have serious doubt he wanted to play it exactly like that.

uhh??? How would playing it from the fairway make it a great shot? "from the fairway it would of been a great shot" (see above quote). Playing it from the fairway would have made it an average to good shot, but playing it in the last round of the Masters, from the pine straw, through an opening in the trees (yes, agreed, not really an issue for most golfers).....that's what makes it a

GREAT shot.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

• Administrator
Tiger's 6-iron from the bunker at the Canadian Open was overrated too - the tournament was locked up, he had nothing to lose, he had a perfect lie, and he over shot the green because he didn't want to flirt with the water. Boring.

Tiger won by one -

it wasn't locked up at all - and a bunker isn't pine straw. How about Hogan's 2-iron (or 1-iron) at Merion to get into a playoff? He hit it to 30 feet or so and two-putted IIRC to get into a playoff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

uhh??? How would playing it from the fairway make it a great shot? "from the fairway it would of been a great shot" (see above quote). Playing it from the fairway would have made it an average to good shot, but playing it in the last round of the Masters, from the pine straw, through an opening in the trees (yes, agreed, not really an issue for most golfers).....that's what makes it a

I meant to say 'good'...as in, just as good from the fairway from where he was in the trees

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I find it just amazing at all the people here who are experts on how to hit a 200 yard shot, over water, off pine straw, in the last round of a major championship. How many of you have even tried a full shot off pine straw? If you had, you would know that anything can happen, given the lie and the stance issues.

I think the pine straw actually makes that shot easier. The club just glides nicely through all pine straw I've ever played on. I agree that that one is overrated. Who really cares how long the shot was, it was basically a stock 6 iron for Phil.

The Tiger one was surely a great shot but I think it's a little overrated because he didn't even hit the green. Of course I have no chance to hit a 260 yard 6 iron from sand over water, but I don't see that shot as an all time best, not even an all time Tiger best. The Hogan 1 iron at Marion is mostly famous because of the picture that was taken.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I was just looking at the "best long iron shots" thread and somebody mentioned Phil's 6-iron from the trees - which I think ranks as one of the most overrated "great" shots that always get talked about. Here's the link:

How about 15-20 other Pro's losing the Masters on the 13th from the middle of the fairway? Curtis Strange comes to mind when he got wet twice in the same week and thew away the tournament from the middle of the fairway.

Tiger won by one -

I was actually joking but nobody noticed - that shot was amazing, especially from overhead. I was actually joking about his chip too - Nike didn't need to add the swoosh by CGI like they did with that ad where they had little Tiger winning the Open.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Holy hell this is ridiculous! The Tiger shot at the Canadian open & Phil's shot at this years masters deserve all the hype they receive, especially when you see Dustin Johnson or Garrigus blow a lead under PRESSURE.

Tour Burner 9.5 Aldila NV65R
MP-57 3-PW R300
588 SW 54
588 LW 60

Can someone post a shot that IS amazing or great then?

This first time i swung a golf club was on 5/8/10....

Driver: M85T 9.5 Stiff
Wood: Black Max 3W
Hybrid: MHT 3H Irons: Black Max 5-PW, SWWesge: 52*Putter: Black Max Putter

Another ridiculous thread. What is the point? Are you trying to denigrate the achievements of great players or is it just to make believe that the average punter is really just as good as Phil Mickelson because the shot at 13 at Augusta wasn't hit through three feet of concrete onto a granite topped green? It certainly doesn't make anyone appear knowledeable by sagely commenting on how, for example, Nicklaus' 1 iron that hit the flag wasn't really great because the loft was closer to today's 2 irons. That's the stupid level we seem to be at here.
What defines these shots is WHEN and WHERE they were played, in the context of the tournament. That's what makes them great. In each tournament, there would be many great shots played that are never seen. Like real estate, it's location, location, location.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Another ridiculous thread. What is the point? Are you trying to denigrate the achievements of great players or is it just to make believe that the average punter is really just as good as Phil Mickelson because the shot at 13 at Augusta wasn't hit through three feet of concrete onto a granite topped green? It certainly doesn't make anyone appear knowledeable by sagely commenting on how, for example, Nicklaus' 1 iron that hit the flag wasn't really great because the loft was closer to today's 2 irons. That's the stupid level we seem to be at here.

Amen.....

CARBITE Putter

I think Phil's a great player and that shot was one of the best in his career. Not to mention the situation at hands when he hit it and how the shot came out. It was great.

But keep in mind that Phil goes for everything and with his skills, he bounds to pull one off eventually. That shot was 50/50 and I believed more people were thinking that it'll ended up in the creek like it always does.

I always liked this shot from Phil. I like to rate the shots based on what % of pros would actually have attempted the shot. I think most of the pros (assuming left-handed like Phil) would have attempted the shot at 13. I don't think the same could be said for this one, which could have cost him the tournament:

Plus, he immediately followed that shot with a huge block on 17, bogeyed the last two holes, and still had to face a playoff with DiMarco. Phil basically shut the door on the field at 13 this year.

Soooo......am I the person on THE PLANET who remembers his next shot????? He missed the putt and birdied 13, everyone birdies 13!!! I think the reason why that shot got so much hype is because he went for the shot and took it on

Soooo......am I the person on THE PLANET who remembers his next shot????? He missed the putt and birdied 13, everyone birdies 13!!! I think the reason why that shot got so much hype is because he went for the shot and took it on

You're talking about Phil, right? Chilli Dipper was talking about Tiger.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!