IGNORED

Where Are Those 300 Yard Videos?

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

no video camera :/

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While you could be right that that particular shot wasnt 300 yards, my clubhead speed, whether you like it or not, according to a custom fitting session, a few weeks after that swing posted, was consistently 116-118 with that swing tempo. (But my launch angle wasnt good, and same goes for the PTR - which i think is the same as smash factor (?). it was around 1.35 ish i think.)

Your swing doesnt suck. Period.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

i dont see why people would not be able to figure out how far they are hitting the ball...just find the distance that you are away from the middle of the green.. take the distance of the hole from the tee you are playing, then subtract how far out you are...and of course that only works on a straight hole..

but i dont see why youd think so many ppl cant measure that...

now if your talking about averaging how far you hit the ball, i could see most people overestimating that because they remember their good drives more than their bad ones.

I agree with you here. Doubt most people hit 300 yard drives consistently. I'm a fairly long hitter compared to most people at my course and I'm not very flexible or strong and I've only hit 3/4 300+ yard drives, with the longest one at 315. This is not to show off, but my swing speed is 105 mph which makes my driving average of 250 yards fairly reasonable.

Yes - dishonesty.

I don't understand the point of this type of thing. Sure, some people are going to lie on the internet... But the thread is calling for videos of those who can hit it 300. Obviously, there is a huge difference between hitting it 300 a few times, and averaging over 300 throughout a season.

But why sit there an contribute the malicious comments? Im sure most viewers can tell a solid golf swing from a loose canon in this thread, and I'd bet most can figure out who's stretching the truth, too. I just don't see the point to perpetuating the negativity in this thread.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

While you could be right that that particular shot wasnt 300 yards, my clubhead speed, whether you like it or not, according to a custom fitting session, a few weeks after that swing posted, was consistently 116-118 with that swing tempo. (But my launch angle wasnt good, and same goes for the PTR - which i think is the same as smash factor (?). it was around 1.35 ish i think.)

Your swing looked at least 115 to me. I swing 105-108, maybe 110 on my best days, and your swing is definitely bigger.

I just don't see the point to perpetuating the negativity in this thread.

Negativity? Lighten up. I'm having fun, because the thread's hilarious for about 25 different reasons.

By the way - I hit one 315 today. I should have charged the video camera this morning.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

You need to add some defintions. How close is "close" and how consistent is "consistent". Is a 4.0 close to scratch? Is it 2.0? 8.1? Is once or twice a round consistent? What if the player only uses their driver 3 or 4 times per round? Are they in an official long drive contest and can only count the ones that finish on the fairway?

"Consistent" is an ordinary English word. There's really no need to define it. My dictionary says that "consistent" means conforming to a regular pattern. Hitting the fairway once or twice out of three of four attempts doesn't constitute consistent accuracy.

I think it's fairly obvious what I meant by "close", but I'll play along. A 2.0 index is getting close to scratch, a 4.0 has quite a long way to go, and an 8.1 is nowhere near it. What does that mean? I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2.0 index hit the ball consistently 300 yards down the fairway (maybe), but I think that would be beyond your average 8.0 marker. No doubt, there are people with handicaps between those points that can do it. My point is that they're unusual, at least in my experience.
Keep adding qualifiers if it makes you feel better about your driving distance, but in the end it's just a hobby, so who cares?

Huh?

Current setup:
Titleist 909D2 9.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Titleist 909F2 15.5°, Diamana Blue Stiff | Mizuno MP-57 3-P, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH Stiff | Titleist Vokey SM 54.11, 60.07 | Scotty Cameron ACVII / Napa California | Titleist Pro V1X

Have never been in here bragging about that distace though. Since id love to trade it off for better accuracy. Im not sure of the exact yardage since we're using the metric system here.

Well, nice try, but not quite. It's quite easy to figure out a person's clubhead speed by watching a video. I have tried it with my own videos, and the results are pretty accurate. The fast motion video is 30 fps, and with a known time, and known length (the driver shaft is usually about 45"), we can simply calculate your speed. Your clubhead moves about 10 feet in 1/15th of a second, so that's 150 fps, which equals 103 mph.

So, not quite 117 mph.
i dont see why people would not be able to figure out how far they are hitting the ball...just find the distance that you are away from the middle of the green.. take the distance of the hole from the tee you are playing, then subtract how far out you are...and of course that only works on a straight hole..

This doesn't work, at all. Even on straight holes, I've measured as much as 20-30 yards mistake. The yardage markers are about as accurate as a smoothbore musket loaded with rocks.

Considering most pro's don't hit it 300 yards I can't understand why people get a chubby by claiming they hit it far.

Yeah, I love that too. The range I go to has water at the end, closest point it ever is is 235 yards. Big hitters can carry the water fairly easily when the tees are up. But I've never seen a single double digit handicap that could hit it more than once in 10 tries. It's amazing too just how rare a splash is. In fact, most people can't even carry the driver 200 yards.

This doesn't work, at all. Even on straight holes, I've measured as much as 20-30 yards mistake. The yardage markers are about as accurate as a smoothbore musket loaded with rocks.

Doesn't work

at all ? I've been pacing off yardages for approach shots all my life... I guess I just get lucky don't I? Also, carrying the driver 200+ isn't turning water into wine... Most guys I play with can do that with a 5 iron.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Doesn't work

That's a solid 5-iron though. I'd say that's my stock 5-iron yardage, but I'm golfing at ~ 2800 feet, so that has to be considered. I can see how someone could easilyaverage over 280 with the driver, but not necessarily on all the par 4s and 5s. I calculated my driving average for the first 6 rounds after I picked up my rangefinder and was pretty happy with it, but I also put an asterix beside the number. I included every "drive", but only those hit with the driver. That's less than 7 holes per round on most courses. There are a couple courses I play where you can really let out the shaft on the driver holes (set up really nice for a long hitter) but that's still only about 7 holes. The course I played on Friday is set up on the front 9 so that anything longer than ~ 270 that's not moving left to right is dead. On the back nine it's reversed. It really depends on where you play.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't understand why a golf course would put there yardage markers that much off.

But you can always use a yardage book.
But I've never seen a single double digit handicap that could hit it more than once in 10 tries. It's amazing too just how rare a splash is. In fact, most people can't even carry the driver 200 yards.

We could always change the title of this thread to "where are those 200 yard videos"

Nice swing btw Gabe.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Doesn't work

Completely agree on the yardage issue-I've been pacing off yardage from the markers since I learned to play. Whenever the course has GPS or my playing partner has GPS I compare it with the markers. They're almost always accurate within 1-3 yds-on a couple holes on a couple occasions a marker has been off 10 yds. But statements that course markers are always unreliable and can't be trusted at all don't match up with my experience.

thats a solid 5-iron, because most people i play with don't match my yardage on the irons, i hit my 5, 205. I am usually 1 to 2 clubs longer than majority of players i play with.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I love the coil/lag and your backswing, which is very unrushed. Nice

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Completely agree on the yardage issue-I've been pacing off yardage from the markers since I learned to play. Whenever the course has GPS or my playing partner has GPS I compare it with the markers. They're almost always accurate within 1-3 yds-on a couple holes on a couple occasions a marker has been off 10 yds. But statements that course markers are always unreliable and can't be trusted at all don't match up with my experience.

I agree that the 250, 200, 150, and 100 yard markers are typically very accurate . . . but . . . how about the yardage from the tee to the first fairway marker. I've seen those off by up to 20 yards a few times.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Seriously, if you're putting it out there 300 consistently and you're not a scratch or better...WTF??!?!? You've developed the swing to pound it like that but can't be bothered with practicing a wedge? Either this board is full of liars, or it's full of folks who play golf like it's a video game.

You are seriously underestimating how hard and how much of an accomplishment it is to become, be and maintain a scratch handicap. There is a lot more to the game than driving the ball. But you are also right, not many people (including myself) don't practice playing with a wedge as much as they should .... I do however agree that there are people who lie about their distance. I average 290 yards off the tee but do hit 2-3 balls over 300 yards during a round; however, with those 2-3 drives over 300, there are others that I may miss-hit or hit poorly that only go say 275-285 which, is the reason why I only average 290. So if you average 300+, then, you are seriously and I mean seariously striping that ball everytime you stand on the tee box...

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!