IGNORED

Furyk oversleeps

O.B. Right
Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What the F is this world coming to? I am so sick of people coming on this and other threads and whining about harsh rules. I don't care what you respond with, its a clear sign that you're one of those people that feels there is an excuse for everything. What bothers me the most is I see this type of mentality everywhere these days. Zero accountability, if I whine and complain about a rule I just broke, someone will agree with me. Sorry for the rant, but my personal upbringing along with my military service taught me to know the rules, follow the rules, and STFU when I break the rules.

ok i get it...he broke the rules

did anyone watch Philly Mac's interview??? this rule only affects half of the field how can u penalize someone, when its outcome does not affect the whole field? bunk rule, Jim got screwed
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
ok i get it...he broke the rules

It affects the part of the field that is asked to do pro-ams. The other half of the field have other sponsor obligations, some of which were put into place earlier this year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

what phil said in his interview resonated with me. there are some rules in golf that are just really dumb.. this is one of them IMO. maybe a $XXXXX fine of some sort? But disqualifying someone from an entire competition because they had a bit of a mishap? its like sentencing someone to death for stealing a pack of gum lol.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

all im saying is that if he didnt turn up for it then fine, that should be a straight DQ, but he was 5 minutes late, it wouldnt have hurt anybody if they had just fined him and let him join up with his group while they were still probably on their first hole, anyways, at the end of the day its Jim Furyk, no offence to him but its not gonna affect the tournament

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

It affects the part of the field that is asked to do pro-ams. The other half of the field have other sponsor obligations, some of which were put into place earlier this year.

And what might that be, going to a bbq with the sponsors? Do they get DQ if they show up 5 minutes late for that?

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Administrator
And what might that be, going to a bbq with the sponsors? Do they get DQ if they show up 5 minutes late for that?

They have to hang out with sponsors and guests at events, yes.

Make more money, have more responsibilities. Not exactly odd there. And he wasn't just five minutes late. He was five minutes late (or more) with shoes untied, no belt, no warmup, etc. etc. etc. Late is rude. I learned that when I'm a kid and it's still true today. If you're late, you're not respecting the others who arrived on time.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree, rules are rules, Furyk knew them, and he has accepted the harsh penalty without whining. I also agree with Phil that a rules violation that is not directly related to tourament play shouldn't result in a DQ, maybe a large $$$ fine, penalty strokes, etc.

I can't help but wonder if the rules would be interpreted the same if Tiger or Phil were involved.

Joe Paradiso

I can't help but wonder if the rules would be interpreted the same if Tiger or Phil were involved.

They would be interpreted the same. I can't see it being any different.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Late is rude. I learned that when I'm a kid and it's still true today. If you're late, you're not respecting the others who arrived on time.

I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't a crime. The punishment does not fit the crime IMO. It's akin to saying, I showed up 30 mins late to work so my boss suspends me for the rest of the week without pay.

I agree, rules are rules, Furyk knew them, and he has accepted the harsh penalty without whining. I also agree with Phil that a rules violation that is not directly related to tourament play shouldn't result in a DQ, maybe a large $$$ fine, penalty strokes, etc.

Correct.

I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't a crime. The punishment does not fit the crime IMO.

Agree with this as well.

They have to hang out with sponsors and guests at events, yes.

No, it's not odd that they have to hang out with sponsors. Didn't say it was. But I doubt they get DQ from the tournament if they are 5-10 minutes late for the social event. Seems to me Phil has a point.

As far as being rude, yes it's rude to be late for something if one does not make an attempt to be on time. Does Furyk have a history of this? Not that I'm aware of. Just an honest goof that deserves a lesser penalty IMO.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Administrator
I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't a crime. The punishment does not fit the crime IMO. It's akin to saying, I showed up 30 mins late to work so my boss suspends me for the rest of the week without pay.

Uhm, you might be if you were supposed to be there to hang with people who were each giving $10,000 or so for the privilege of hanging with you, yeah.

Everyone saying "this penalty is too harsh" doesn't seem to understand how the PGA Tour feels about pro-ams. They're a BIG DEAL to the PGA Tour. It's a KEY PART of how they have sponsors and thus how they can hold tournaments AND raise money for charities. To the PGA Tour, the penalty DOES fit the crime. Jim Furyk was late and showed up half dressed and not loosened up to play with people who had paid perhaps $40k to $60k to play with him. If the PGA Tour didn't think the penalty fit the crime, they'd have adjusted it the last time a high-profile thing like this happened - when Goosen partied too hard and was DQed at Riviera. Their (non)actions seem to indicate that they think the rule is fine.

Many seem to making this a criminal offense/punishment issue...it isn't! This is a simple business contractual commitment with defined clauses for breaking that commitment. The players agree to the pro-am and other sponsor commitments for money. The sponsors pay large dollars to experience the tour and have time with players. The players agree that if they fail to meet their commitments then they agree to certain remedies. Furyk failed to honor his contractual commitments, and he well knew what the consequences are. He has behaved very graciously in the aftermath, and while I'm sure he's fuming internally he has behaved admirably.

It's akin to saying, I showed up 30 mins late to work so my boss suspends me for the rest of the week without pay.

No, it would be like if your company lost major customers and potentially millions of $$$ in business because you weren't there to meet the customer representatives who came only to meet and spend time with you, and you had a contractual commitment to do so. And yes, I think that would warrant suspending you.

its like sentencing someone to death for stealing a pack of gum lol.

???? This has to be one of the most absurd analogies one could possibly come up with. Last I checked Furyk isn't on death row here...he's still walking around freely and able to enjoy the many millions of income he has earned because sponsors put up the money to pay his paycheck and enable tournaments to even happen. Sponsors that he just disrespected and for whom he did not meet his contractual commitments.

Hotels and motels will make a wake-up call if requested. Fluff should have called if he noticed that his man had not arrived at the site to prepare for the day.

As a frequent international business traveler, I'm amazed when people don't take adequate precautions to ensure they don't oversleep and miss a critical business commitment. I learned many years ago that hotel alarms malfunction, wake-up calls get messed up, and batteries die, so I always have a back-up when I'm traveling and have an early appointment. My personal method is a reliable battery-powered alarm clock that is real easy to set (so I don't make a mistake when I'm jetlagged) and also request a wakeup call a few minutes after my set time. And if I'm traveling with a business companion, we agree to call each other by a certain time in case we don't hear from each other. All this has saved me a number of times, and it is so easy to do. I'd think that Furyk would have Fluff call him if he wasn't heard from by a certain time - and if Fluff is expecting his boss on the range 45 minutes (or whatever) before tee time, if the boss doesn't show within a few minutes of that he should be calling.

^^^ Clambake, you took my analogy extremely too literally. it simply illustrates that his punishment does not fit the crime. its my opinion. it is an extreme analogy but like i said.. it illustrates how bogus I think that rule is. people make mistakes sometimes, no one is perfect. This was the first time in his career that Furyk has ever done something like this.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

...... a rules violation that is not directly related to tournament play shouldn't result in a DQ, maybe a large $$$ fine, penalty strokes, etc..

While the DQ may be a little on the harsh side, this is a rule that has lasted a long time and hasn't caused much of a controversy in the past. But one thing I don't like about the rule is that while it punishes the player, it doesn't do much to make amends to the proam players that bear the brunt of the player's failure to show. So here's my recommendation for a new rule:

• The player shall pay to the PGA a fine of either $50k or the cost of the pro-am entry fees for the rest of the foursome, whichever is greater.
  • The PGA shall then refund the entry fees to the pro-am entrants.
  • If the player is less than 30 minutes late, then he shall join the foursome as quickly as possible. The player shall also take his pro-am playing partners (and their spouses or sig. others) out to dinner that night at the nicest restaurant in town and shall be charming and delightful in entertaining them, and shall of course pick up the check.
  • If the player is more than 30 minutes late, then he's DQed from the tourney. Since he would then likely leave town, the dinner option is not available. Instead, the PGA shall ensure that the proam players have assured entry for next year's tournament and shall waive their entry fees for next year in addition to refunding this year's fees.
There, with this rule we have enough teeth in the rule to make the player feel some pain, the court of public opinion will humiliate them a bit so they'll feel embarrassed by the whole thing, and the pro-am entrants will be happy in that they got to play for free and got a nice dinner with a Tour player.

No, it would be like if your company lost major customers and potentially millions of $$$ in business because you weren't there to meet the customer representatives who came only to meet and spend time with you, and you had a contractual commitment to do so. And yes, I think that would warrant suspending you.

Now, if someone pulled a no-show, then yes, a suspension would be warranted. However, he was late by ten minutes...add 20 to get dressed and you get 30 minutes late. Since he was late, I'd say fine him maybe 10% of his winnings. He wins, that's roughly 100k out of his pocket. 10% of last place would probably still cover 1 person's Pro-Am fee. Is a major customer that traveled miles to come meet you going to say "You're late....I don't even want to meet with you anymore and I'm withdrawing my funding..."? (preface quote for Pro-Am...business world, this could happen) The likeliness of this happening based off one instance is not likely.

• Administrator
Now, if someone pulled a no-show, then yes, a suspension would be warranted. However, he was late by ten minutes...add 20 to get dressed and you get 30 minutes late. Since he was late, I'd say fine him maybe 10% of his winnings. He wins, that's roughly 100k out of his pocket. 10% of last place would probably still cover 1 person's Pro-Am fee. Is a major customer that traveled miles to come meet you going to say "You're late....I don't even want to meet with you anymore and I'm withdrawing my funding..."? (preface quote for Pro-Am...business world, this could happen) The likeliness of this happening based off one instance is not likely.

Disagree entirely with taking a percentage of their winnings. Even if they win they might not cover the cost of their pro-am foursome (some pro-ams are quite pricy, folks!). And that's if they WIN, which is obviously a 1 in 156 shot or so at best.

And Clambake, as nice as that sounds: a) they get another pro to fill in for them, so they can't join them. b) these are business people, so they probably already have dinner plans. c) if you set up the "take them out to eat" who monitors whether the pro did that job adequately enough to meet the requirement? It's just more red tape. The rule right now is pretty cut and dry: you miss your time, you're DQed and the sponsors don't know any different because a pro shows up in their group to play with 'em. Sponsors don't pick the pros - they sometimes meet 'em on the first tee. So the current rule keeps that system flowing - nobody's annoyed they got Pro X instead of Pro Y and they don't even necessarily know their original pro missed.

If I knwe the penalty for stealing gum was death I wouldnt steal it. I dont setal gum now and the penalty is a lot less than that.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!