IGNORED

Ohio's Top 20 Golf Courses

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1) Kennsington Golf Club - Kensington Course | Canfield, OH
  • 2) Muirfield Village Golf Club - Muirfield Village Course | Dublin, OH
  • 3) The Quarry Golf Club - Quarry Course | Canton, OH
  • 4) The Links At Firestone Farms - Links of Firestone Farms Course | Columbiana, OH
  • 5) Ohio State Univ. Golf Club - Scarlet Course | Columbus, OH
  • 6) The Camargo Club - Camargo Course | Cincinnati, OH
  • 7) Glen Ross Golf Club - Glen Ross Course | Delaware, OH
  • 8) Canterbury Golf Club, Inc. - Canterbury Course | Cleveland, OH
  • 9) Longaberger Golf Club - Longaberger 1 Course | Nashport, OH
  • 10) Sand Ridge Golf Club - Sand Ridge Course | Chardon, OH
  • 11) Firestone Country Club - South Course | Akron, OH
  • 12) Inverness Club - Inverness Course |Toledo, OH
  • 13) Wicked Woods Golf Club - Wicked Woods Course | Newbury, OH
  • 14) Double Eagle Club - Double Eagle Course | Galena, OH
  • 15) Manakiki Golf Course - Manakiki Course | Willoughby, OH
  • 16) Walnut Grove Country Club - Walnut Grove Course | Dayton, OH
  • 17) Safari Golf Club - Safari Course | Powell, OH
  • 18) Tartan Fields Golf Club - Tartan Fields Course | Dublin, OH
  • 19) New Albany Links Golf Club - New Albany Links Course | New Albany, OH
  • 20) Shaker Heights Country Club - Shaker Heights Course | Cleveland, OH

I haven't played many of the courses on the list, but I am familiar with the tracks around Cleveland. I personally love Manakiki and Wicked Woods, but I'm surprised Little Mountain did not end up on this list. It is one of the best courses in the state.

That list is a joke. Courses missing just off the top of my head:
The Golf Club
Firestone North
Firestone West
Scioto
Youngstown CC
Silver Lake CC
And to have Kensington first--laughable. That place is a dump

I haven't played many of the courses on the list, but I am familiar with the tracks around Cleveland. I personally love Manakiki and Wicked Woods, but I'm surprised Little Mountain did not end up on this list. It is one of the best courses in the state.

Manakiki is an incredible layout (Thank you, Mr. Ross). Once they get finished bringing the course back up to snuff...it'll be amazing. The Metroparks are good at adding bells and whistles to the clubhouse, let's see how good they are at restoring a classic gem.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• 1 year later...

lol That list is missing a TON of great courses. What about what used to be a constant #2 public course in Ohio on Golf Digest's list... Blue Heron on River Styxx Road in Medina, OH? Hands down one of the nicest courses that I have ever seen. Event St. Bernards is a very nice course in Hinckley, OH. To think Little Mountain wasn't listed also though, pretty much sums up why these other 2 are not on there I guess.

The golf link rankings are rediculous.  If you look at the top 100 nationwide you'll see a Seattle Muni at 3 that doesn't make the top 3 in the Seattle area.

There is a very obvious skew to public courses in large metro areas look at how many less than stellar So Cal public courses are in their top 100.

http://www.golflink.com/top-golf-courses/

Originally Posted by Brendon

17) Safari Golf Club - Safari Course | Powell, OH

Hahahahahahaha.........Ok, how is this on the list?  ....a joke, right?  This made me laugh out loud.   The Safari I remember was a piece of crap, dumpy course next to the Columbus zoo.  WOW...that alone makes the entire list a complete joke. I haven't heard of several of those while there are great courses not on the list.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I live pretty near Kennisington, I play it frequently. And it's number 1?! I think not. I cannot believe Boulder Creek didn't make the list! BC could easily be in the top 5 public courses in Ohio. I also play Firestone Farms quite often...and it's just another typical public course. This list is garbage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to see what the judging criteria was for this list.

Longaberger, Inverness, Firestone, Muirfield, OSU Scarlet, Canterbury, Sand Ridge, there is even a TPC course in Ohio...In no particular order of course. I would put probably these 8 in the top 10

Driver:  R9 Supertri 10.5* -  909D3 9.5*

2 Hybrid:  2009 TP Rescue 17*

Irons:  R9 TP 3-PW

Wedges:  Vokey 54* & 60*

Putter:  2Ball Vline 34"

I have walked the south course at firestone many of times, i have played the north course. I think the north course is a much better course to play.

The Quarry in Canton, Ohio is absolutely amazing, though they jacked there prices up a bit, which makes it a once a year place for me, its a gem.

Longaberger is a bit overrated, its way overpriced

Brookside Country club is an amazing course by Donald Ross, sits in Canton, Ohio. Very very private, but my favorite course i ever played.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played The Quarry a couple of years back. Great track. Winds thru a rock quarry. 17th hole is the signature - 235 from the back, downhill par 3 water left & front third of green.

I grew up outside of Akron, and there are a lot of puzzlers not on that list, most already mentioned - Firestone North, Stonewater...how about Windmill Lakes in Ravenna?

And while Manakiki is a pretty good course, I don't think it's even the best Cleveland Metropark course...that would be Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville.

Many of you from/around Akron should definitely consider playing Blue Heron if you have not. It's not the most pristine course by any means, but it is just a gorgeous course and very challenging. Be prepared to spend around $70-80 before you leave though. It's a nice little treat to play, especially early August.

I'm just glad the course that I most frequent is actually staying open year-round. The only part that worries me is the damage that will be done to the course with virtually no downtime for regrowth and repair. Kind of makes me wonder why any course in Ohio would remain open December-March. I can see early November, especially when we're still hitting the 60's consistently. If I were a course owner though, I would definitely be closed from say, Thanksgiving to March with strict cart paths only enforced through April (if necessary, however we do usually get pounded by rain here).

We played Royal Oaks earlier this year, which is by no means a top course, it's just a nice little public course.They claimed that they stayed open too long the year prior and the tee boxes were just destroyed. They had no time to let the new seed come in, the greens were not aerated, fairways were just burned up, etc.  Now, for the right price, I would not complain. $45 for 18+cart though and I'm scratching my head wondering where the profits are going. Perhaps that is why they are no longer open.

Note: This thread is 3841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!