IGNORED

Golfing in the rain

golfro
Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My most fun solo golfing experience came in the rain...

Local short-ish muni course...I shot a 3 under 9 holes that included a 100 yard hole-out and a lot of striped irons and drives. Putting and anything less than a full wedge was ghastly (ball behaves oddly when it's skidding) but interesting.

I actually like playing golf in bad conditions because it keeps you from getting too far in your head about things.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Buy rain gloves. They work well.

Not to argue....... but the hanky's actually give you much better feel. I have tried almost every rain glove out there.

But mayby you could point me towards a better one?

I don't mind unless it starts backing up onto the greens or fairways where it interferes directly with my ball.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Any golfers out there who golf often in the rain?

Yeah, I golf out in the rain sometimes. Only when it's a light rain or drizzle. Anything more than that and it's not worth it.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Not to argue....... but the hanky's actually give you much better feel. I have tried almost every rain glove out there.

I just have some FootJoy rain gloves, so I doubt they're anything special. But, I can't tell much difference between the rain gloves and my usual gloves, so feel hasn't been much of an issue. The handkerchief might help in those situations where I don't wear a glove (usually just chips and putts).

How will you play in the rain ?

Take extra club on every shot ?
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

even when it didn't rain for a few months, there was still swampy areas on the fairways in Renton, Kent and Auburn.

in my bag
cheap 9.5 driver
hybrid
Altron irons
wedgescheap putter balls

I think they actually ended up closing the course later in the afternoon. The pin cup things were completely flooded with water all the to the top. the bunkers were flooded so it was difficult to hit out of, big muddy puddles on the fairway and

Hate those careless golfers who have no respect for the course at all.

I went on a golf trip over the labor day weekend to a nice resort in northern Michigan, and it rained pretty hard the day before we teed off. Of course the fairways and greens were very soft and often times still soaked in water. There were several spots were the idiots dug the whole grass and soil with the spinning tires/carts. Ugh. Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

I don't mind golfing in the rain. I won't start a round if it is down pouring, but if it starts during a round I'll finish and if it is only a light rain I'll start a round. I've played some of my best rounds in the rain.

Regarding putting on soaked greens.... yeah, of course it will make putting trickier than usual and will probably add a few putts/strokes to your usual score. One thing I do when it is raining or is really wet, I get really agressive in going at the pin with my approach shots. Which I should do anyways, I'd probably score better. But...knowing that I'm not going to get much roll, I'll just go at it and usually end up leaving it closer than I normally would...meaning, of course, shorter putts. So that's how i handle that.

I don't know why, but for some reason my ball striking is pretty darn good in the rain. I loose a lot of distance (im not a long hitter to begin with) of the tee with less roll, though.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

It's Funny When I lived in NJ the only time you could get on a Public course is when it was raining so I got pretty good in the Rain ..Now that I am in Florida it rains for 15 to 20 minets at a time you just wait it out ..But if it rains all day I wont play ..I am spoiled now.

During late September through November.... I usually have the course to myself in the afternoons. Sometimes there is a steady drizzle and for some unknown reason...... I love it. I do not play much here in the summer. (too hot) I will play 3-4 times a week from Sept-May. I can deal with rain alot better than the heat.

I carry a hankerchief cut in half to place between my hand and the grip. You dont even know its there, and it gives me the same feel as a dry grip.

Is that allowable under the rules of golf?

During late September through November.... I usually have the course to myself in the afternoons. Sometimes there is a steady drizzle and for some unknown reason...... I love it. I do not play much here in the summer. (too hot) I will play 3-4 times a week from Sept-May. I can deal with rain alot better than the heat.

im the same way. i can't handle heat. when I lived in Oklahoma for a couple years...the heat would go up to 100+ during summer months and yeah...melt on the fairway.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Is that allowable under the rules of golf?

I actually got that tip from a golf magazine on a article about

Tom Watson and wet play at the British Open . The tip won me the Navy regionals one year (1985) as we played in 2 days of solid rain. I have had players contest my using the hanky a few times in tournaments. I never said a word, and let them go cry to the officials.

We play in the rain all the time. A friend comes in for a 3 day golf weekend all the time and its beautiful during the week and then wants to rain all weekend. We play through. I play at a private 9 hole and they NEVER close. PLAY ON!

Golf Bag
Driver:
Woods:
Irons:: CG7 Black Pearls
Wedges CG14 52-56Hybrids:PutterBall E6

A light rain is one of the best times to play. No one out there, grab the rain jacket and play. Just no Winn grips!! Lighting on the other hand is terrifying.

What's in my Micro Lite Bag:

Driver: RocketBallz Tour 9
3 Wood: V Steel 15 degree
3-PW: 762 DCIGW: CG 12 52 degree

SW/LW: spin milled 56/11, 60/7

Putter: 2 Ball 35"

A light rain is one of the best times to play. No one out there, grab the rain jacket and play. Just no Winn grips!! Lighting on the other hand is terrifying.

Winn grips are junk in the rain. They seem to absorb water and get squishy and stay that way, even after it has stopped raining. I used to have one on my SW, but ditched it, and now I need to get rid of the one on my putter.

Note: This thread is 3514 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!