IGNORED

Number of clubs in your bag

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 4985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK, I'll be the first... Mid round the other day I realized I had 15 in the bag. I didn't realize it until the 8th hole. Fortunately, I was playing a practice round and not a tournament or anything serious. I have since removed the offending extra club and I'm back down to 14.

I sometimes have 15 - a 2 and 3 iron in my 3-iron slot due to practicing with the 2 at the range. Before I tee off announce that the 2-iron is out of play. I'm not going all the way back to the car with it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Practice rounds I usually carry 17 clubs. I see how each is behaving for chosing the 14 when play gets serious.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

i shot my lowest 9 ever last week with 7 clubs (Driver, Hybrid, 5, 7, 9, GW, Putter). i typically take a few out when walking the course but i also enjoy trying to make shots with a club i wouldn't typically use in that situation. i think it requires you to be a little more creative which is something i enjoy.

I like the way you are thinking there. I like taking clubs out of the bag, especially if I'm walking solo. Being between clubs forces you to learn feel.

I never leave my driver out ..... it is very important to shoot 235+ yds first shot at most of the longer par 4's at my homecourse.

Playing at my home course, I know which irons get almost no use, so leaving them out is no problem and it seldom happens I grab for a club being left out.

At my home course I normally only carry about 11-12 clubs, being Dr/(4H)/3-PW/LW/Putter ..... The 4H I only use as a trouble shooter from the rough and the 3i I need to carry for only one tee shot at a 215 yds par 3 ..... of the others I almost never use the 7i, but whenever I leave that out .... I some how always need it a few times.

I don't have any fairway woods, don't like them that much and I also never carry a gap wedge ...... I grew up golfing with a PW and SW which were about 50*/56* and now that the industry decided to strengthen the PW to 47 I felt no need to add a speciality wedge in the gap they created between the PW and SW. I combined the SW and LW to one 58* with 12* bounce ..... so now I have a gap from 47* to 58* ...... so what !!! (I just like being creative with partial shots from 75 yds in using 8-PW and LW)

If I visit another course, and sure when it is a new course for me, I take all 14 with me, which actually means I just add the 15* and 19* hybrids.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I only cary 13. Used to carry 12. Driver, 18 degree hybrid, 3-pw, gw, sw. Thats it. Just started carrying the gw.

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

I sometimes have 15 - a 2 and 3 iron in my 3-iron slot due to practicing with the 2 at the range. Before I tee off announce that the 2-iron is out of play. I'm not going all the way back to the car with it.

A fairly common misconception (or willful disregard?) for the actual rule. Used to do the same thing myself till someone pointed out that it's not legit.

4-4c/1 Excess Club Declared Out of Play Before Round and Placed on Floor of Golf CartQ. Before the start of a round, a player discovers that there are 15 clubs in his golf bag. He declares one of the clubs out of play, removes it from his bag, places it on the floor of his golf cart and begins the round. Is the player subject to penalty? A. Yes, for starting the round with more than 14 clubs. Rule 4-4c has to do with declaring an excess club out of play on discovery of a breach after a round has started. There is nothing in the Rules to permit carrying, during a round, an excess club declared out of play before the round.

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A fairly common misconception (or willful disregard?) for the actual rule. Used to do the same thing myself till someone pointed out that it's not legit.

It's just to remind myself to stick to the basic 14. If I was playing for money or in a tournament I'd take it out.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I carry 13 but thats cause i dont own 14. I will soon be getting a gw and then will carry 14 tho.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Fourteen in the bag.

The setup will change from time to time, but it's always 14.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I have 13 currently. I dropped my 60 degree wedge earlier in the year as an experiment and haven't seen the need to put it back in. My scores have been better without it, which leads me to believe that I don't have the skill to wield it properly. I get the same mileage out of opening up my SW.

I think I could probably drop the 4 hybrid out too and not notice. When I clean my clubs post play it seems I never have to clean the 4h because I never use it.

I can't remember the last time I played with 14 clubs. I just don't see the need for it. I like carrying less weight, and I can just grip down the fill the gaps. I carried 8 clubs when i shot 77, and when I shot 81. Driver, 5 wood, 5, 7, 9, 51, 58, putter. I never felt like a needed a club that I didn't have. Plus, I don't spend as much on clubs :)
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I have 13 currently. I dropped my 60 degree wedge earlier in the year as an experiment and haven't seen the need to put it back in. My scores have been better without it, which leads me to believe that I don't have the skill to wield it properly. I get the same mileage out of opening up my SW.

AS soon as I said this I've hit this club 4 times the last two times I've played.

I have 15 clubs in the bag but will swap between 3i and #3 hybrid depending on my swing of the day. To be honest, most of the times all of my woods stay out of the bag, since I can't hit them on the course to save my life. At the range, that's a different story though.

Twelve or thirteen generally. My fourteenth club is a 5W, which I hit a bit over 230 but not terribly reliably. It's better for me to avoid temptation by leaving it out, though 230 is not a very common shot to begin with, so it's not much of a loss.

The driver sometimes stays home to get me down to 12 if I want to work on my 3W and longer irons while saving a little weight when I walk.

WITB:
Driver:  ping.gif Anser 9.5°  | Fairway:    XCG5 15° 
Hybrid:   XCG5 19°  | Irons:  mizuno.gif JPX-825 4-GW
Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP R-12 56°, 60°
Putter:  ping.gif Grayhawk TR

This game is hard enough.....I take advantage of every opportunity the rules allow. 14, always.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 4985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!