IGNORED

DG300S, Project X 6.0 or Project X 6.0 Flighted ?

Gerald
Note: This thread is 4971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am working on a winter project .... thinking of finding a new set for 2011, not because I want to, but because I will need to move on.......

I am close to getting under index 5.0 .... which in the index we need overhere to enter National tournaments, not too bad at my age (52).

Competing in this tournaments, i will need a 2010 conforming set, so allthough I really like my current set, I might need to make a move the new grooves.

Currently I am abit in doubt between MP-62, MP-63, MP-68 and Titleist 710 CB or 710 MB and I must say they are all to close to call.

Not only choosing the right clubhead (totally personal matter) I am also chosing for which shafts to choose and I need your help on this.........

I have allways been playing DG300S ..... actually no complaints, but my clubfitter says the Project X is a better shaft and if I would chose to gor for the Project X 6.0 , there is also a choice between flighted and standard.......

Would I simply just go for the DG300S or would I benefit from the Project X 6.0 (flighted) ???

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

first and foremost, the 6.0's will be slightly stiffer than the S300's. I believe they lie somewhere between s300 and x100.

I have the flighted 6.0's on my clubs and they are great. I've takled to some people who actually don;t like the flighted but they help keep my short irons trajectory a bit lower, while my long irons seem to get a bit more air.

Really can't complain about any of the 3 really... I faithfully used S300's until this year when I bought my irons that came with the Flighted 6.0's which have served me absolutely well.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

This is a tough question to answer without knowing you and your swing. As the previous poster stated 6.0's are stiffer than 300S's so they may not be right for you, but that all depends on you. Everyone is different as I use 6.5 in my wedges because I like them a little stiffer and I like to be able to easily turn my irons over if I need to. Again, all depends on the person and what you want to do.

Now, I play Project X 6.0 Flighted Pured Shafts for one reason, I have a lower trajectory ball flight and it allows me to get my longer irons up when I need to. But I believe and this just may be my perspective, again it is contingent upon the individual, but I feel the Project X shafts are more stable than Dynamic Golds. But, that is my opinion... Project X shafts tend to feel a little more stiffer but i like that because I am a former hockey player who likes the stiffer feel, more stable in my view!

Project X 5.5's are more toward the S300's so you may want to demo those with the iron heads you are going to get because that too makes a difference on which shaft you are going to get... Good luck

Well I am not really a hard hitter, but distance isn't very important for me, dispersion is my main goal ..... I want to dictate where the ball is going, when I hit a standard (full) 8 iron I feel the ballflight is about 15 - 20 ft. too high with the current DG S300. On the long irons the DG 300S ballflight is OK, maybe a little low, which makes it hard to land without a big hump forward.

I have no trouble finding a green from let's say 175 yds, but the lack of a soft landing from these distances, makes me missing quite a lot of GIR, lucky I am reasonable good a scrambling, but it would be better to putt for a birdie than to scramble for saving par.

In all I kind of like the tech behind the Project X Flighted, lower flight in the short irons and higher flight in the long irons, might help my game.

Reading specs on steel shafts I bumped into another less known shaft, being KBS Tour ..... any opinions on those ?

You write about your shafts being "pured" .... what does this mean ?

Maybe it would be best, to try some shafts in my current let's say PW to find out benefits on shafts.......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

If they say go with hte project X I would, club fitters no what they are talking about.

I would not say the KBS are not as well know. The KBS tour shafts seem to be very good, ive been playing with them now for around 3 months. Ive used PX 7.0, 6.0, DGx100 and KBS Tour. Out of the 4 I like the X100's and the KBS.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

OK let's say I would go to the Project X 6.0 Flighted (I like the tech behind the Flighted) ..... I am now in doubt between the Mizuno MP-68 in PW-6 + MP-63 5-3 or the Titleist 710 MB PW-6 + 710 CB 5-3 .... for the wedges I'll stick to my vokey's allthough I might be bending my 58/12 to a 57/11......

The first option might be changing to MP-68 PW-6i and keep the MP-57 5-3 for a while, but I am a little afraid of Mizuno coming with a MP-69 within a few months.

A pured shaft is also known as being spined so maybe you know that. In short, each shaft has a spin and if not properly fit ins the correct a shaft may not be consistant. Some believe this to be a load of crap but I am a firm believer and will not play anything that is not pured. I honestly believe I can feel the difference.

The other thing I will tell you is that it may take a few try's to get the clubs you want. I spent a good few years going through so many clubs and I have a set now that I know where the ball is going. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't work out at first...

as far as Mizunos go , the MP 68's, they are the best, current model, Mizuno irons at the moment.

i hit the ball with low ballflight and went for the DG S300 to help me get it up a bit.

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

I am working on a winter project .... thinking of finding a new set for 2011, not because I want to, but because I will need to move on.......

Assuming the MP-57 set listed in your signature is correct, you do not actually

need a new set because of the 2010 groove rules: * The MP-57 irons conform to all USGA groove rulings, as well as the "Condition of Competition" Ruling taking effect on January 1, 2010. You could also go to the USGA website and check the status of whatever clubs you have (it covers the R&A; status as well).
The USGA has received numerous inquiries from golfers wishing to know whether or not their clubs will meet the new groove and punch mark specifications effective from Jan. 1, 2010 (the "New Groove Rules"). Many of these inquiries have come from golfers who plan to play in events where the condition of competition is in effect, requiring that the player's clubs conform to the New Groove Rules (the "Condition of Competition"). As a result, the USGA and The R&A; have created a reference resource called the Informational Club Database (the "Database").

However, if you

want a new set that is totally cool, I think we all know that feeling

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming the MP-57 set listed in your signature is correct, you do not actually

Great news, in that case maybe my best option is to try some other shafts in my current set !

You got some bad information. People play dg s300's to get the flight down, not up.

the fitter told me that the DGs300 gave a higher ballflight when compared to project X 6.0.

is this not true?

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

DG S300's are a "higher" ball flight then the Project X's... The project X shafts are "tour flighted" shafts which is why they have the Project X Flighted Shafts that will keep the ball from balloning with the shorter irons and get the ball higher with the longer irons...

yes i think its relative. the S300 isn't SUPPOSED to be a high launch shaft, but compared to the Project X 6.0's which are slightly stiffer and for the most part have varying kick point...one would argue the 6.0's are lower than the S300s.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-vs-project-x/

personally, i hated the PJX and Rifle Flighted
went back to DG S300's and way better for me
the PJX's felt sooooo harsh

now the KBS Tour's in my R9 TP's are by far the best shafts i have ever hit
i have read they are for a smooth tempo swing, so they sure work for me
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

...I have allways been playing DG300S ..... actually no complaints, but

Nonsense. What does he mean by that? Is he getting commission for selling PX? Many, many pros use DG shafts. It depends what you like; PX are not simply "better".

A pured shaft is also known as being spined so maybe you know that

These aren't the same thing. A spined shaft has simply got the main spine on the shaft identified. An SST Pured shaft has been through a different process looking at the way it oscillates around a main axis when it's loaded and released in some sort of clamp. Not sure about exact details but can read more

here .
DG S300's are a "higher" ball flight then the Project X's... The project X shafts are "tour flighted" shafts which is why they have the Project X Flighted Shafts that will keep the ball from balloning with the shorter irons and get the ball higher with the longer irons...

PX have an active tip to get the ball up, fast. DG are tip stiff but softer in the butt end than PX; the tip section is designed to keep the ball down.

as far as Mizunos go , the

What does this mean? If you mean they're the "Tour player" irons, you could argue this is correct but that != "best". Again, depends what you're after.

yes i think its relative. the S300 isn't SUPPOSED to be a high launch shaft, but compared to the Project X 6.0's which are slightly stiffer and for the most part have varying kick point...one would argue the 6.0's are lower than the S300s.

Maybe so.

You and me both. Yuck.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If one is comparing the PX shafts to the S300's, they "should" be comparing the 5.5's to the s300's. 6.0's are comparable to x100's. The PX shafts are higher launching than the DG's.

Note: This thread is 4971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!