IGNORED

2010 Ryder Cup

bogie
Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First, the bad news for the US squad:
European leads in all 6 matches with Stricker/Woods & Z. Johnson/Mahan getting their doors blown off.

The good news for the US squad is: the sun wet down.

Basically the American's chances rest with Furyk/D. Johnson (1 down thru 8) and Cink/Kuchar (1 down thru 5) to turn those blue EURO flags to RED.
If that were to happen the score going into singles would then be: US 8, EURO 8.
At that point:

Europe would needs 6.5 points to win the cup.
US would needs 6 points to retain the cup

From an objective point of view that's why the Ryder Cup is so exciting with its swings of fortune. The EUROS threatened to blast through 4-balls on Friday morning when that rain delay seem to cool them off and allowed the American to get their equilibrium. The American continued their good play in the Alternate Shot session this morning.

But the same rain that apparently gave to the Americans, along with the stellar play of the EUROS has taken it back.

Remember originally it was 4-Ball, Alt. Shot; 4-Ball Alt. Shot.
With the format change the EUROS got a chance to end on their 4-ball strength and their play is backing it up.

So it's back to the American team room for a team meeting to clear the air about what's going on. Hopefully those two pairs I mentioned have a good meal and good night of sleep and tomorrow turn it around to ensure an exciting singles session.

Because that projected score on Ryder Cup.com which now reads EURO 10, US 6 especially after how things started is a whopping downer.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that just how American TV is? Such an ultra consumerist society, there's gonna be lots of ads. The English coverage takes a break every 40 minutes or so.

Why dont you keep your smug anti capitalist comments to a Irish/British golf forum. It is pretty ignorant to lump all americans into one catagory.

Why dont you keep your smug anti capitalist comments to a Irish/British golf forum. It is pretty ignorant to lump all americans into one catagory.

um, it pretty much is how american tv is. he didnt lump all americans into one category. just american tv.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, one comment about the format of US TV verses compared to others and you get all fired up. You just embarrassed yourself. :D

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I've had a fun couple of days at Celtic MUDDER so far (which is not in England, fti of the burke who was talking about the match being in Loegr).

The sort-of-resolved first two sessions left us Europeans a bit shellshocked; not so much because the Americans played well - that's to be expected - but rather because of the way the Europeans threw away winning situations. The 2 Northern Irish really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on Saturday morning but they seem to be putting it back together now. Rory loves the crowd's roars when he fires in a good one.

Monty has mixed and matched really well, it seems at the moment. Anyone playing with Poulter seems to be inspired; he is SO pumped up - he's great!

Whatever Monty said Saturday lunchtime seems to have had an effect. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow (and I've reserved Monday as well, just in case!) - the stew has got very much more spicy this afternoon!

I was sitting in the stand by the 7th green and saw 4 USA birdies on the trot - puzzled and confused! The Molinaris were dazed and confused for the first few holes as well but they certainly seem to have got their act together now. They seemed to like the cheers for Italia! Italia!

Kept hearing cheers from around the course - you can tell which cheer is for which team - but self-kicking time for selecting a grandstand with no view of any screen whatsoever! The Fanvision consoles are a great invention and I'll be having one tomorrow.

Loved the mud-diving in the tented village and various other slopes around the place during the 7-hour shutdown on Friday. So sorry for the guys I met who came over from the States and were able to attend for only one day, and that day was Friday. Impressed with the guys who are going around dressed like the Minnesota Vikings!

One btw - you may hear massive cheers if the Americans miss a putt for a half or something - just to reassure youze guys, we aren't cheering the miss, we're cheering on our own people, who have needed it for much of the day.

Fantastic course, the playing area is in great condition - looking forward to playing it myself. tough, but I think it's fair. The spectator areas look like a cross between Glastonbury and a giant Mississippi mud pie. I may need new boots on Monday!

Well, Colin007 and BillySandy pretty much replied for me. How you saw that comment as 'smug' and 'anti capitalist' is beyond me. It was just an observation/comparison, having seen a lot of American tv coverage. Besides, was the observation incorrect? I don't think so.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I have spent some time across the pond and I agree with the comment. American TV is almost all about money.

Isn't that just how American TV is? Such an ultra consumerist society, there's gonna be lots of ads. The English coverage takes a break every 40 minutes or so.

To change the subject however, I sure was wrong about my earlier comment about Cink as a Captain's choice. He has been a pillar.

Butch

Basically the American's chances rest with Furyk/D. Johnson (1 down thru 8) and Cink/Kuchar (1 down thru 5) to turn those blue EURO flags to RED. If that were to happen the score going into singles would then be: US 8, EURO 8. At that point:

Watson/Overton team is only 2 down through 6 and Mickelson/Fowler team is only 2 down through 4. I think it's too earlier in the match to gurantee a winner. Hell, I wouldnt even count out Johnson/Mahan team who is 3 down through 7...McIlroy hasn't been playing well all weekend. However, it does look like Woods and Stricker's run is just about over.

Hilarious that people are just chalking up 5 or 6 points to the Euros because they are up in those matches. Remember the first rain delay with the Euros up in 3 of the 4 matches? Yeah, the US took 2 1/2 points. I think it was HUGE that the US got another break the way the matches were falling. It's unlikely that we'll win any of the Foursomes, but you never know when momentum swings and we might steal a 1/2 point there. Even if they don't win, if Tiger and Stricker go out and win that first hole, the Euros are going to be gripping HARD.

My gut tell me US will be up 8 1/2 to 7 1/2 going into singles. I have no faith in the Molinari's and Paddy was a disastrous pick at this point.

On another subject, Cink's mind games were masterful on the 17th, strolling up there with a sandwich, pulling out the water, then dropping the putt and totally icing Rory.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

On another subject, Cink's mind games were masterful on the 17th, strolling up there with a sandwich, pulling out the water, then dropping the putt and totally icing Rory.

That was hilarious haha

My gut tell me US will be up 8 1/2 to 7 1/2 going into singles. I have no faith in the Molinari's and

have you been watching today?

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Well, Colin007 and BillySandy pretty much replied for me. How you saw that comment as 'smug' and 'anti capitalist' is beyond me. It was just an observation/comparison, having seen a lot of American tv coverage. Besides, was the observation incorrect? I don't think so.

Well, to be fair, its usually not that many commercials...and for the majors, especially the Masters (5 min of commercials every hour) or the US Open we get pretty limited commercials..

As for the 'ultra consumerist society', I do find that a little ignorant considering how diverse America is and that Western Europe and the United States aren't that different in terms of the developed world..

I have to say, there have been a lot of great irons approach shots this week. With 4-6 matches going on at once, it seems like there is always someone hitting a great approach shot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One btw - you may hear massive cheers if the Americans miss a putt for a half or something - just to reassure youze guys, we aren't cheering the miss, we're cheering on our own people, who have needed it for much of the day.

Thanks for the on the ground point of view. Yeah watching on TV I am sure the oblivous viewer thinks they are cheering the miss, but only after a couple of times I thought "oh they are cheering the win of the hole, for their team, not the miss" so that makes sense and don't blame you/them. I noticed on TV the mud off the playing field. Bet it is madness. Enjoy!

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Heavy rain this morning in Cardiff, and not expected to get any better as the day goes on.

Cant see there being much golf at the Ryder Cup today and fully expect this to carry on until Monday

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!