IGNORED

More money than brains?

glk23
Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Read a ton of posts here and elsewhere that make me wonder how many golfers fall into such a catagory. Guys going through many sets of irons and even more drivers looking for the "one". Kicker was one today of a guy stating he has gone through 2k+ this season on drivers including 650 on one and still haven't found one. Obviously manufactures love it and got to be one of the reason why such a turnover in clubs.

Shhhh... I like the fact that these guys keep places like Golfsmith (very) well stocked with barely used equipment.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought A LOT of clubs in this past year, and I think it is because I haven't liked any enough yet. You can try irons and drivers, etc.. all you want in the shop, but that doesn't do it for me. I have figured out what type of wedges I like. Check. I kinda like my driver, but wouldn't turn down a great deal on an upgrade. Still not comfy with my irons, might keep them, might not. I like the putter I have, but I like a lot of putters.

Its not that I think new ones will make me better, but the current ones just aren't doing it for me. I guess I could just keep the same wardrobe since I still look good in it and they are in good shape, but I still buy new clothes to replace older ones, and yet you see those people who can wear the same jacket every year. Do I look dumb for buying a new one? Does he look bad for not buying a new one? No, but we both are content in our decisions.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

But, all said, what does it matter to you what other people do with their money?

I couldn't agree more.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For someone who states they couldn't care less about how people spend their money you sure do have issues with people expressing their opinion. If someone wants to dress like in all Nike stuff and have the equipment that matches who really cares. It's a hobby and how they choose to persue that hobby is nobody elses business but theirs. So don't smash on other people just because they take enjoyment from the equipment side. Too much hatin' going on the links these days.

Golfro is arguing that you should find something that fits your game and keep playing it. He's saying that switching drivers every two months won't help your game.

e's not bashing someone because they are completely kitted in Nike stuff, otherwise I'd be the first one to get bashed because all my clubs are Titleist and I have FootJoy shoes and a Titleist bag and umbrella and gloves and balls. The point he's trying to get across is that you should find something you're comfortable with, preferably getting custom fit for it, and sticking with it. It doesn't matter whether you have one brand or 6 different brands in your bag.

For someone who states they couldn't care less about how people spend their money you sure do have issues with people expressing their opinion. If someone wants to dress like in all Nike stuff and have the equipment that matches who really cares. It's a hobby and how they choose to persue that hobby is nobody elses business but theirs. So don't smash on other people just because they take enjoyment from the equipment side. Too much hatin' going on the links these days.

I agree with you, and I think golfro has some issues.

No disrespect to you, golfro, but I've been in this forum for maybe a couple of months now and just judging by the posts, you do sound like an a$$hole. I'm sure you have your own opinions(and very strong ones), but no need to get so upset and flat out call everyone else's opinion wrong or 'laughable'. BTW, what's with that Integra/Civic comment? What's that even supposed to mean? Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

Yes, welcome to a discussion. hatin or not, we're having a discussion on a forum. what do you want, everyone to hug eachother and talk about how much they love eachother's golf clubs?

Nah man, it isn't like that. Not taking a dig at you. All I'm saying is here is a thread titled "more brains than money" and I don't get why it's such a big deal to someone to "prove" they are wrong if they switch out equipment on a regular basis to improve their game. My point is this hobby we persue has different facets whether it's being into the equipment, playing the game for it's inherent challenge, or a combination of both. I'm a guitar player as well and I see the same thing when it somes to guitars. Some play a crappy Squire strat and don't mind a bit and others have a collection that boggles the mind. Again, I'm not arguing that your wrong in your statement only that you don't acknowledge your perception is different than other.

And thanks for reminding me that this is a discussion forum. I would have hated to think I wasted company time on anything else!

And to add on to it. They shouldn't say that they love their driver for the first week and then say it sucks and that it's causing hooks, pulls, pushes and everything else. Take my example, when I switched to my 909D2 I had no honeymoon period. I struggled with it for the first 20 rounds I played. It would work well on a whole and the next one I'd hook it and so on. Then I figured two things, my swing wasn't the same every time, hence all the poor shots, and that I needed to get used to it. Four months after getting it, I'm driving the ball long and straight. Whenever I have a poor driving day, I don't walk into the pro shop and say: "I think this I15 will fix all my hooks because it's got an open clubface and a fade bias" because I know it's complete crap.

Of course it makes a difference. I'm not arguing that it doesn't make a difference... but take YOU for example. You went through 3 different drivers just in the past couple months...

I switched driver cause I wanted something a bit smaller, bought a driver blind off ebay and found that it wasnt for me mainly becuase of the shaft, but the sound at impact was very muted and the feel was dull. It had a good look though. The taylormade was an easier option than buying a shaft and experimenting by putting it into the bridgestone. The TM has adjustability too which makes it very versatile and no I dont drive what they call a "ricer" vehicle with the neon lights etc. I like classy and stylish. Ive done all the mod installs myself including a planned out sound system.

I agree with you, and I think golfro has some issues.

please, no ones upset here. i'm just stating my opinion. I never said someone's opinion is WRONG but the mindset that constantly switching their gear to improve their game IS laughable.

1par2win - understood, maybe my opinion came off a bit brash. Agree with you guitars. Goes for just about any hobby and the community revolving around it. I've been fly fishing for quite some years now and in the fly fishing community, its no different. We have guys who switch 800$ rods, left and right, looking for the one that "works." Fly fishing is similar to golfing in that technique is heavily involved. Casting, like golf swings, comes with technique and practice. like andef said, people are far too focused on blaming their clubs for their misswings. If I'm playing a round and my driving is god awful, i don't think "oh this driver isn't fit for me anymore," I think "man i gotta work on my swing." Now when it comes to shafts, thats a different sstory. I do believe that the right shaft can make a big difference. So get fit, be done with it, and enjoy the sport. Again, everyones guilty of this. I am too. And the reason I give some people such a hard time is because I've been through exactly what they have. Back when i was struggling with my driver, all I wanted to do was buy and try every driver available to find the one that works fo rme. On any given day, while demoing a random driver...perhaps I had a good day hitting that driver...so I purchase it... 2 weeks later, I'd have a bad driving session...and back to square 1...I'm out there demoing drivers looking for the 'right one'. Really, i'm not criticizing someone for wasting their money, its their money, do what you want with it... but somewhere a long the line, it clicks for a lot of people. not to beat a dead horse... indian, not arrow.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I switched driver cause I wanted something a bit smaller, bought a driver blind off ebay and found that it wasnt for me maing becuase of the shaft, but the sound at impact was very muted and the feel was dull. It had a good look though. The taylormade was an easier option than buying a shaft and experimenting by putting it into the bridgestone. The TM has adjustability too which makes it very versatile and no I dont drive what they call a "ricer" vehicle with the neon lights etc. I like classy and stylish. Ive done all the mod installs myself including a planned out sound system.

but do you not ermember your posts raving about how your Bridgestone driver was amazing? come 2 weeks later, you're saying you don't like the sound, the feel, the shaft, etc.

my apologize about the car comment, it was brash and uncalled for but just getting a general point through. not accusing you of this but i've often seen people who call themselves hobbyists not because they enjoy golf, but because they like the gadgets and the gear that comes with it. a hobbyist enjoys playing the sport... otherwise, they're just a shopoholic.

please, no ones upset here. i'm just stating my opinion. I never said someone's opinion is WRONG but the mindset that constantly switching their gear to improve their game IS laughable.

Thanks for clarifying. I do agree with your opinion on swing practices vs. switching gears.

My apologies for jumping too early to a conclusion without knowing where you were coming from. Without knowing, some of your comments sounded like a harsh personal attack. Please disregard my previous post. Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

but do you not ermember your posts raving about how your Bridgestone driver was amazing? come 2 weeks later, you're saying you don't like the sound, the feel, the shaft, etc.

I didnt call it amazing from what I remember, I said it was brand new and had a great look. I posted that I liked it so far after playing a round with it from the simple fact that I hit it alot straighter but I remember from the first hit I thought, hmm that sounded weird and the ball flight was borderline worm burners. I thought I might be able to work through it by swinging harder etc to get the ball flight up. A few weeks later I knew that I wasnt going to be able to work with that shaft in the driver, just not for my swing. The one thing I like about the driver was that I had more control over it and straighter shots, If I could of actually got the ball up and a better feel at impact I would have kept it no doubt.

You guys all sound like you're suffering from Ryder Cup withdrawal.

Have a beer and we'll try again tomorrow.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You guys all sound like you're suffering from Ryder Cup withdrawal.

man i'm flying out on business tonight... haven't golfed all week and can't even watch the Ryder Cup this weekend. pretty bummed out.

Season around here is coming to an end with the rain coming and weather being erratic so i'm trying to get in as much golf as possible before the weather really turns...

Do what you want with your money, just not sure about the getting better part. I am sure I could shoot the same as I do now with multiple brands/kinds of irons and drivers. It's not to say that when my driver left me a few months ago I didn't hit drivers in the shops and look at ebay; in the end I chose the tips section of a few sites and flattened my swing with great success. Wish I had more used club shops in my area to take advantage like others here are. For me I think lessons and/or practice would be a better use of time/money.

I like to play as much golf as possible and at about $20 per round when someone said they spent $650 on a driver they never kept, I began to think of how many rounds I could play with that. Again, your money, do what you want. For me, other than maybe ditching my 5w for a hybrid I am playing as much as I can.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Do what you want with your money, just not sure about the getting better part. I am sure I could shoot the same as I do now with multiple brands/kinds of irons and drivers. It's not to say that when my driver left me a few months ago I didn't hit drivers in the shops and look at ebay; in the end I chose the tips section of a few sites and flattened my swing with great success. Wish I had more used club shops in my area to take advantage like others here are. For me I think lessons and/or practice would be a better use of time/money.

Puetz north seattle my man. they turn around used gear like crazy. lots of barely used drivers and irons.

also if you can make it down to Golfsmith in Oregon, they have a pretty good selection of used gear too.

I live in Tacoma and very little gets me to go north and used clubs ain't one of them. A few places closer to me, but would have to luck into something. Would like to have a backup driver with a R shaft, but would be looking a few years old probably. Even a couple hundred bucks get me thinking about playing the ten rounds instead.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!