IGNORED

Miller-isms

halcon
Note: This thread is 4886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you like Johnny Miller?

• I love him!!! He is the funniest and most knowledgeable person in TV
    • Hate him!!!! He is an @$$
    • Johnny Who?

I just received my Golf Magazine for this month, and they have another of Johnny Miller's sui generis phrases. To me, JM is kind of the Dr. House of golf telecast, so a thread with his miller-isms has to be fun to read.

If Phil couldn't chip, he'd be selling used cars in San Diego
Johnny Miller during the Ryder Cup

Cheers!

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

I find Johnny Miller to be annoying gas bag. I know he could wing a stick with the best of them for a couple of years, but that doesn't mean you give them a mic. I'm a younger golf fan I don't care to listen to him AT ALL. Faldo is much more interesting to me, but sometimes peace and quiet is best. My grandparents don't think golf should be televised without JM commentary. I'mt he opposite - I think it should be a crime to let him sit in the booth. For now, I'm pretty sure my grandparents generation gets to decide...for now.

One of my biggest problems with him is he CONSTANTLY repeats himself and says the SAME thing 1000 times a broadcast. At the beginning of the year it was constantly "He's got to consider a possible flyer with the new grooves in play", 5 seconds later "this one might be a flyer". If someone hit it slightly farther tan the target it was a "flyer due to the new grooves" and if slightly short it was "they were tentative in case of a flyer with the new grooves". GIVE IT UP ALREADY! I loved watching the stats from each tour event in Golf Week. The basic result of the new grooves? Less than a yard shorter off the tee and the tour was more accurate with approaches. Hey Miller - fly THIS!

:D

In the bag:
Driver:  Burner 10.5* Stiff     ||    3 Wood:  Burner 13* Stiff     ||     Hybrids:  Slingshot 17*, 21*, 24* Utility

Irons:  MX-300 5-PW     ||     Gap & Sand Wedge:  Spin-Milled Black Nickel 52.08* / 58.08*

Putter:  VP-09 Blade 33"     ||     Ball:  Penta TP

None of the options really work for me. Miller is fine. When he's good, he's good. When he's annoying, you yell at him. There is not much middle ground. He's either one or the other most of the time.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

None of the options really work for me. Miller is fine. When he's good, he's good. When he's annoying, you yell at him. There is not much middle ground. He's either one or the other most of the time.

This poll should pretty much be reset every day. Just like when he played, when he's on fire he's scary good.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Not a fan of JM, if someone misses a putt he ALWAYS says they pushed it. Which I'm sure happens sometimes, but on some putts it seems like it was a speed issue or maybe a break issue. Also on one of Dustin Johnson's putts during the US Open I distinctly remember him saying how straight a putt was and it broke at least 6 inches right. It was clear to viewers watching from home there was no way this putt was straight. I like Feherty and McCord to a certain extent, I don't want to hear them constantly but they make good sidekicks. Faldo is great for the most part, a whole lot of ME ME ME sometimes..LOL.

Driver - VR str8 fit
3 wood - Burner 09
3 hybrid - Burner hybrid
Irons - VR split cavity S300 shaft
SW - CG15 56 degreeLW - VR forged 60 degreePutter - Studio select

• Administrator
I'm a younger golf fan I don't care to listen to him AT ALL. Faldo is much more interesting to me, but sometimes peace and quiet is best.

The next time Nick Faldo says anything interesting will be the first.

No, it's not quite that bad, but I've come to appreciate Johnny Miller. He says what he thinks and in this day and age, that's to be celebrated, not put down. If you want to watch golf and fall asleep, Faldo's your man. P.S. Both fail to understand basic, simple physics. So they both lose there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If Phil couldn't chip, he'd be selling used cars in San Diego Johnny Miller during the Ryder Cup

He stole that from Hogan. "If you couldn't putt, you'd be selling hotdogs on the tenth tee!" -- to Billy Casper after losing some money in a US Open warmup round.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Miller is the first announcer that has ever called "choke" on anyone. He knows how good these guys are and he knows when they blow a routine shot. Not too many people will give you the brutal honesty and sometimes he crosses the line but that is because he pushes the limit.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

He's ok most of the time. Do I love him, no. But I think the station he is on is the best at producing golf tourneys so that makes up for alot. Faldo, he is just boring. I do like that he isn't afraid of not being PC.

Brian

Miller used to be good. He was much more insightful than the other announcers, and went against the grain quite a bit, saying what everyone was thinking but was afraid to say on the air. I liked to tune in when he was on because I would learn something. Now he is pretty tame, and besides his famous, "It sounded like he hit that shot one groove too low," doesn't really offer that much anymore.

Faldo was a celebrity guest on the final round broadcast of the British Open at Troon that Todd Hamilton won, and showed a very keen British wit. A star was born. Well, he has since used up his witticisms and needs to move on.

Note: This thread is 4886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!