IGNORED

Are Kids Really Hitting It 330 Or Are They Just Bragging?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 6287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hawaii is the worst possible example for proving how long guys are...how many times have you seen the Stuart Appleby bomb of 428 yards from the Mercedes advertised..(not this years mercedes)

Have you ever seen Augusta? If you think there's no elevation change then you haven't. Just as an example... The drop from tee to green on #10 is 34 yards, on 11 is 25 yards. Augusta National is nothing but hills... there isn't a level spot on the course, so not a great example.

On the topic at hand: I don't doubt that there are kids out there who can hit 300 yard drives all day long, but I what I want to know is... do they have a game? You can hit all the 300 yard drives you want, but if that only ends up as another double bogey on your card, then I'm not impressed. You'd be using your time better spending it on the chipping green than at the range.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, like my Dad used to always say, it is not how far, it is how many.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I am a 10th grader, and play high school golf. There's no way that I've seen more than one kid that can hit it 300. And we live at like 1300 feet elevation. I know that I can not hit it even close to 300, I hit it like 260.

I am 6'6, 225pds and still in high school. You would have to be very ignorant person to say that I can't hit it past 300yrds. The fact of the matter is that it doesn't benefit me to do so. Swinging that hard means my accuracy goes down the drain. I have drove holes that are 320 yrds and at the same time I have hit 260 yrd drives. If people would just get past their egos and realize the only thing you should be bragging about is how many strokes it took to get the ball in the hole!

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

The way technology is now, hitting 300 is really not out of the question and it isn't as big of a deal now as it once was. The people I find the most amazed with it when I go out and play are the older guys who don't have the distance, but that's not to say all don't because I know some older guys who can crank em out there.

Im 5'10 180lbs and I have a few drives 300 every time out. When I'm feeling really dialed in and in that groove where you know you can swing all out and that ball is going to go straight, I can get in the 330's. I strongly believe my baseball background, to go along with my flexiblity and overall athleticism play a big part in this. I also know the technology is playing a big part. When I first got my taylormade 200 series steel driver, I could get 280 or so with the roll on a fullout shot, and usually in the 240-260 range on a regular swing and that's less than 10 years ago.

they did a study once and found that the average golfer : SAID they hit it 280, THOUGHT they actually hit it 260, BUT REALLY hit it 210-220....

i have a freind that is 5' 10" 180 lbs...and at sea level he hits his monster drives like 285-290.....now at elevation of 4300 feet he hit one that was like 375-380....but optimum conditions and a perfect swing...

Tiger is 6' 0" at 175-180 lbs...with a swing speed that few on here IF ANY can touch...if he is barely averaging 300 SO i take everything in here with a grain of salt...

sure you drove one 320 yard green in the dead of summer with a 15-20 mph wind at your back and it rolled on....Good Job....not the norm though....and i would highly doubt you hit the ball over 300 several times a round...MOST OF THE LONGER TOUR PROS DONT .... are you as long as jb holmes or bubba watson....if so you must have the worst iron play of any golfer ever.

personally if i could hit balls 300 yards I would be getting ready for a mini tour at least, maybe even the nationwide....

so many forums are full of people who can drive the ball over 300 yards, but so far all the tours are coming up short on people who can? Ironic I think

they did a study once and found that the average golfer : SAID they hit it 280, THOUGHT they actually hit it 260, BUT REALLY hit it 210-220....

Unfortunately driving 300 yards won't do you any good if you don't have a short game or iron game. Have you seen the long drive competitions? These guys average well over 330, yet aren't on the tour. Why? Because all they can do is bomb the heck out of it. It's pretty ignorant to say if you average over 300, you should be on the mini tour. Driving doesn't put the ball in the hole, a good short game does.

so there are 8 -12 gorrillas out there that hit the ball that far and cant play golf....good point....i never said everyone who can hit the ball 300 plus should be on tour, but that if I could I would be on a tour....you have to read for comprehension....every word, I know it sucks but if you dont you could end up looking pretty ignorant...

so many forums are full of people who can drive the ball over 300 yards, but so far all the tours are coming up short on people who can? Ironic I think

I was referencing to this. Unless you are implying that they lie about there length off the tee.

If someone is full of $h@& about how far they can hit it just call them on it. A GPS or a laser rangefinder doesn't lie. And just because they do hit it far doesn't neccessarily mean they can play. I hit several drives over 320 in a national competition using a regular Ping driver, and I am not exactly getting ready for the tour if you know what I mean.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I was referencing to this. Unless you are implying that they lie about there length off the tee.

WHAT...me implying most are mistaken about their distance....PERISH THE THOUGHT.... i am not saying that they have never hit one 300 but average....i bet a good many of these "bombers" dont average 285.... personally i have hit one 350, so what if it was at 4300 feet, who here can beat that one....and yes i do have a witness. i dont average 280 at sea level...and i dare say 99% of the people on here do not either.

personally i have hit one 350, so what if it was at 4300 feet, who here can beat that one....and yes i do have a witness.

Umm, I can. I won the long drive at a tournament last year 417 yards. Yes, witnessed by several people including the course marshal and the volunteers put there to make sure noone cheated. Yes, measured by GPS. In fact they wrote the distance down on the certificate. Elevation 4000 ft. The hole is slightly down hill but there was no wind.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

back when i was a kid....NO! now? i believe it. have u seen the size of some these kids??????? they are feakin HUGE!

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Driver: BB 454 8* Aldila nv65s
Fairway Wood: 3&5 Sport Stiff
Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

There's always a jealousy factor when it comes to someone who can hit the ball a long ways, especially on a message board because people equate distance with skill. But what you have to remember is that just because they can hit the ball a long way, doesn't mean they can putt, have good iron play or any type of short game. Hell, Ken Griffey JR has been known to outdrive Tiger on a regular basis, no way he's a better golfer though.

Note: This thread is 6287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!