IGNORED

What Was Your Score on Your First Round? (Or Best Guess)

halcon
Note: This thread is 796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 members have voted

1. 1. What was your score on your first round?

• 130 or more
    • 120~129
    • 110~119
    • 100~109
    • 90~99
    • 80~89
    • 79 or less

My first 18 hole round was a round to establish my first handicap at my club back in England. I was 14 years old. It was April. There are two things I remember from that round. One is one of the most ridiculous pars I've ever made. 404 yard par 4, which was the number 4 stroke hole at the time. I hit my driver and sliced it wildly into the woods. It clattered into a tree and bounced out into the middle of the fairway. I hit my 3 wood and sliced it wildly into the trees again. This time it hit a tree square and bounced out into the middle of the fairway. Now about 80 yards away I hit probably about an 8 iron onto the green 30 feet away from the hole and holed it. The other thing I remember is that I shot 106, SSS was 71 and my first handicap was 35.

Before that I had played maybe 3-4 times on a 9 hole par three course near where I lived, memorable mainly for any time I went in bunkers there would be 8-10 swipes at it followed by a throw. When my dad got me and my brother into the club he got us lessons, so I had a couple of half hour lessons and one 9 hole playing lesson before that 106. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/13/2021 at 5:16 PM, HankBlue said:

😁 First USGA Scorecard:

Scorecard.10.13.2021.jpg

FYI: I just noticed the YEAR is wrong on this scorecard.  The correct year is 2021. :8)

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Wow this is going way back and I want to just make my best guess, 10 years old approximately and on a short 9 hole course that hasn't existed for at least 30 years now. I think I shot somewhere just over 100 at that time but it's just such a long time ago it's not something I put in the memory bank for later access.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

On 11/23/2010 at 3:20 AM, halcon said:

I saw a thread where one of the posters claimed that he shoot 88 on his first time out on a course. I find this hard to believe, although there's people that thinks that this is possible.
Me, I don't remember exactly (and it wasn't too long ago), but I estimate I was around 130~140 (and a dozen balls lost). And you?

I know that I was somewhere north of 130, and that was probably a conservative estimate since I probably didn't assess penalty strokes properly.  I remember a lot of whiffs, tops, and chunks.  Within a year or so I was down to shooting in the low 90s and mid to high 80s.  My best round was in college, and I shot an 83.  After college, my game suffered because I didn't play as often, and here I am.

As for people shooting a great score their first round out, a friend of mine in college did.  He started working at the course and got some lessons from Conrad Rehling - the pro at the University of Alabama's course - before he stepped onto the course.  When he did, he immediately started whipping our asses and eventually became a teaching pro himself.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to guess well over 130, full of tops, chunks, whiffs, penalties and 4-putts. 😎

Any more questions? Oh, yeah, it was on an easy muni course. Nothing special or difficult about it. Golf is hard, someone said (and trademarked)!!

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

1964...I was 15, the first time I was allowed to play on my county course without a parent and since neither of my parents played golf, my only experience hitting real golf balls was at the driving range. Otherwise, it was wiffle balls on my front lawn.

So I shot a 55 for 9 holes. My buddy, Jimmy, had about the same. We both commented about how different it was to play a "real" golf course. The ball was down IN the grass, not perched on top of a rubber tee or on top of the hairbrush type of material they had at driving ranges at that time and so much harder to get the clubhead to the ball. And greens were not at all like miniature golf courses. The worst thing of all though was the wait to play. Unless you "shmeared" the starter five bucks (which we didn't have after laying out $7 to play) it was a three-hour wait. (That guy was such a mother f-er!)

I had a wicked slice at the time and lost about a half-dozen balls, most of which had been purloined from the range. Luckily, on one of the holes that bordered a residential neighborhood, there were kids selling 3 found balls for a dollar. That became my main source of balls for the next year or two.

The next time, playing a full 18 holes, I broke a hundred.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Note: This thread is 796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!