IGNORED

What Was Your Score on Your First Round? (Or Best Guess)

halcon
Note: This thread is 759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 members have voted

1. 1. What was your score on your first round?

• 130 or more
    • 120~129
    • 110~119
    • 100~109
    • 90~99
    • 80~89
    • 79 or less

I saw a thread where one of the posters claimed that he shoot 88 on his first time out on a course. I find this hard to believe, although there's people that thinks that this is possible.
Me, I don't remember exactly (and it wasn't too long ago), but I estimate I was around 130~140 (and a dozen balls lost). And you?

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

My first round was a long time ago, so I don't remember the score - but I'm sure it was over 130 the first time I played a par 72 course. My first 10-15 rounds were on a short par 62 muni and I know I shot well over 100 even there.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely over 130. But I introduced golf to a friend about 10 yrs. ago. After 3 driving range sessions, and long chipping putting sessions, 3 practice days total. He fired 97 on a fairly long Muni course. He lost interest in golf soon after. He never even bought a set of clubs. (borrowed mine) Ball striking came very very easy to him. So I definitely believe someone can shoot 88 on his first time out. Especially if he got alot of good instruction beforehand. I think my passion for the game is largely due to how bad I struggled my first year. It took me many many buckets before I even got the ball in the air with an iron. Needless to say when I finally did start hitting good shots I was so hooked.

I think it was 118. Had a buddy who was a scratch golfer and he worked with me on my swing, chipping, and putting before I ever went out on the course. Only played a few months, but picked it up pertty quick (shooting in the mid 90's). I believe this was due to my buddy helping me out. I quite playing for about 3 years and just picked it back up 5 months ago. First time back I shot a 105.

A bizillion? I don't really know, I was like 5 years old.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yea I Know I auto-elevened a bunch of holes (had a score of well over 11) for the first 6 months or so that I played. So It's completely reasonable that I would have shot at least 150 more likely 180 the first time out. I think I shot around 120 for the first year and after a couple years of golf memberships and hitting balls just about every day I now shoot in the 80's on a regular basis.

^300 sounds like a joke but I've definitely taken people golfing for their first time and its not that far off. A lot of people cant get off the first tee initially, and hit the ball maybe 20-50 yards on every stroke and its a mess once they get to the green. So I'm thinking, 18-20 strokes a hole. I actually had one friend just walk off the course in the middle of the round once in college. :)

I too was under 10 yrs old when I first stepped on a course so I can't really remember exactly. But I didn't play much when I was little and my "instruction" prior to heading out to the course for the first time was blindly hitting balls in an open field with my brothers (my dad would take us there, give us 5 balls and let us hit and then run around and retrieve them ourselves). So I'm thinking it had to be well over ~120. Like I said, I didn't play much when I was younger and as a result was shooting in the low 100s all through middle school and high school so it would have to be way up there.

In my Grom XX:
cleveland.gif Launcher 12.0* Fujikura Saishin 65 S and 15* Fujikura Fit-On Gold R // ping.gif G10 Irons, AWT Steel S, Fitted Purple Dot// cleveland.gifCG14 Chrome 56*, 14 // odyssey.gif Crimson Series 550 Mallet, 34" // srixon.gifZ-Star

My cousin was in the mid 80's after 6 months of playing, but he was in the i stopped counting range when he first started.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was in sixth grade (1962??), and was playing with a mixed bag of clubs ranging from 1960s to 1930s in origin. Was playing at the course where I caddied, and us younger guys only had time for nine on golf day.

Can't remember 9-hole score, but I do remember the first hole. It was a 410-yd. par 4, and I made a 19. Bright spot: I holed out a 22-foot putt as my final shot.

Putter was an old blade head with broken shaft nub; I put it into the end of a bamboo rake handle, and my dad did a marvelous twist job with three bands of bailing wire to hold it in place. Actually used it the first two years I played.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Around 120 I believe. Spent most of the day in the woods.

I remember a woman who took a few months of instruction and first hole got a hole in one. Should've called it quits right there as the best golfer to ever play the game.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

My first round was 9 holes on a par 3, as were my next few rounds. I was taking lessons at the time so I got a decent amount of practice in around that time period, so I didn't play a full 18 holes regulation course until after all that. I think when I did I shot close to 120, but I don't think that qualifies as my "first game".

My first game of 9 holes on a par 3 was around 50, I think. So, extrapolate from there.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I hit balls at local parks and played at driving ranges a whole year before I played my first round, so I was actually able to break 100 (on a par 65 course however)
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

My first round, 5 years ago, was a 126.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

My First Round:

I was working on a golf course mowing greens and fairways. Age 17. We finished up early one of my friends played and the other 2 of us had never played before. But we had taken a few of the old clubs people would lose on the course and nobody claimed after a while and started to go to the range with them. Our boss had bought us 2 18 Packs of Miller and we decided we'd have 1-2 and then play. I distinctly remember the first time I tee'd off. It was a Par3. I swung so hard I almost came out of my boots I picked my head up and hit all ground. Took a huge chunk out of the tee and just thought to myself "SHIIIIIAAATTT I have to fix that!!".

Next hole I actually got a piece of the ball and hooked it right into the street just missed a car and it bounced down the road. Well after 4-5 holes we realized that this probably isnt looking good on us as the greens crew and retreated back to the barn to finish off the beer Lol!!

Final Score = Unknown
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I saw a thread where one of the posters claimed that he shoot 88 on his first time out on a course. I find this hard to believe, although there's people that thinks that this is possible.

I think that people scoff at the idea becuase, seriously, who scores on their first EVER round of golf? And...to be blunt, to say that you shot 88 on a proper golf course the first time round is just plain ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as this person expecting to be taken seriously.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!