IGNORED

Poulter Dropped His Ball on His Marker - Share Odd Infractions of the Rules of Golf

Old1964
Note: This thread is 4895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Felt sorry for him....from now on, i will throw all my coin or magnetic markers and use only plastic pin on type.....

I don't feel that sorry for him (not for the penalty atleast). I feel a bit sorry for Karlsson that it looks in the media like Poulter gave the victory away. When in fact Karlsson won that hole by two and the penalty didn't change the outcome. Karlsson was one of the best players in the world 2008 (also won the "order of merit" as europes best player that year). After that, he lost all 2009 season to an eye injury and has been sick for almost the whole 2010 becuse of glandular fever. That´s bad luck! Will be interesting to see what he can do in 2011 if he gets to stay healthy.

I don't see why the ruling should or could be changed either. The pin is the ball. Had he accidentally moved his ball instead, no one would have objected.

No. You are allowed to place clubs you have brought with you in the hazard as long as nothing is done to test the surface. Note the part of the exceptions to Rule 13-4 which I highlighted in bold type.

You learn something everyday with this game. Thanks!

Poulter wasn't in a hazard. The ball was sitting up on a wood chip, so the commentator was saying he shoudln't ground the club or it will cause the wood chip (and hense the ball) to move.

Like I said, it was early and I should have been asleep. All it would have taken is for me to set the dvr up downstairs while heading off to bed. It would have been good tv watching in the afternoon.

I can't say I'm a Poulter fan but did feel bad for the guy. I'm sure it will be on his list of "things not to do" while out making a living.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I got disqualified once for signing a incorrect scorecard. My opponent who was keeping my score had the worse handwritting in the world. I signed the card for a total score 75 which was the correct score. The committee of the tournament questioned my score for the 18th hole, which was a 5. They said that it looked like a 3. I explained the scorekeepers writing was terrible.The said the other holes that he wrote down were readable and it looked like a 3 not a 5. I told them if it was a 3 it would have been a eagle and my final score would have been 73 not 75.
After argueing for 5 minutes I lost. I have never played in another tournament sponsored by these folks since.

G10 Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 5 wood
G10 21,24,28 & 32 Hybrids
2010 710 AP2 7-PW w/DG300SVokey 58 & 52 2009 Spin Milled 2 Ball Blade 34" ProV1 2009 Pioneer Bag

I got disqualified once for signing a incorrect scorecard. My opponent who was keeping my score had the worse handwritting in the world. I signed the card for a total score 75 which was the correct score. The committee of the tournament questioned my score for the 18th hole, which was a 5. They said that it looked like a 3. I explained the scorekeepers writing was terrible.The said the other holes that he wrote down were readable and it looked like a 3 not a 5. I told them if it was a 3 it would have been a eagle and my final score would have been 73 not 75.

Now that sucks. What a bunch of turkeys.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Now that sucks. What a bunch of turkeys.

While true, I'm surprised you didn't point out to pingman that you can write a score of 18 or 999 for the "total" and it's irrelevant. The committee doesn't care about that score and the competitors are responsible only for 18 scores for each of the holes. There's no need to add it up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I laughed last night because the golf channel said Lee Westwood tweeted "I bet it was one of Poulter's diamond crusted pink ball markers" lol. Lee and Rory made light of an unfortunate situation. Sucks, but its the rules.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

While true, I'm surprised you didn't point out to pingman that you can write a score of 18 or 999 for the "total" and it's irrelevant. The committee doesn't care about that score and the competitors are responsible only for 18 scores for each of the holes. There's no need to add it up.

Didn't think about that part of the rule, just wondered how many others have been victimized by bad handwiting over the years. It's surprising to me how many players don't realize that they are only responsible for the hole by hole score, not for the addition. After a tournament round, I carefully check and verify the score on every hole before I sign my card.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yep, here's the rule: 6.6.d - Scoring in Stroke Play - Wrong Score for Hole: "The competitor is responsible for the correctness of the score recorded for each hole on his score card. If he returns a score for any hole lower than actually taken, he is disqualified. If he returns a score for any hole higher than actually taken, the score as returned stands." So pingman, you got hosed in that respect as well.

Bill

Yep, here's the rule: 6.6.d - Scoring in Stroke Play - Wrong Score for Hole: "The competitor is responsible for the correctness of the score recorded for each hole on his score card. If he returns a score for any hole lower than actually taken, he is disqualified. If he returns a score for any hole higher than actually taken, the score as returned stands." So pingman, you got hosed in that respect as well.

Well, the committee's claim is that he signed for a 3, when in fact he had a 5. His claim is he signed for a 5, which matches his true score. So, if you accept the committee's claim, they made the right call (DQ for lower score).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Well, the committee's claim is that he signed for a 3, when in fact he had a 5. His claim is he signed for a 5, which matches his true score. So, if you accept the committee's claim, they made the right call (DQ for lower score).

Thats not it...I signed for a 5 which is what I had. As Iacas pointed out earlier you are responsible for your hole by hole score which I allready knew. This wasn't my first tournament. The problem was that the number that my opponent wrote down on the 18th hole was interpreted by the committee to be a 3 not a 5. My argument was that if it was a 3 my total score would have been 2 strokes lower than what was written. I told them that I thought my opponent had wrote a 5 down and that is what I stood by. I was only using the total score as a point of reference. Unfortuatley, my opponent didn't play that well and said he had someplace to go and he split as soon as the round was over so I didn't have him there to verify what he had written down.

What it came down to was that this was a local public tournament and my 75 put my in first place iin the A division. The tournament had a few local boys from that course in the tournament and they didn't play as well. The committee needed to look out for there own... No problem. This happened about 7 years ago and I have never played in any of there events since. I don't plan on giving them any more of my hard earned cash.

G10 Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 5 wood
G10 21,24,28 & 32 Hybrids
2010 710 AP2 7-PW w/DG300SVokey 58 & 52 2009 Spin Milled 2 Ball Blade 34" ProV1 2009 Pioneer Bag

Note: This thread is 4895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!