IGNORED

TPI analysis: Anybody had one?

WUTiger
Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Titleist Performance Institute promotes the fact that it certifies athletic trainers specifically to help golfers.

One TPI guy in the area advertised that he can analyze your swing in light of any physical limitations and/or lingering injuries. That way, he could help you alter your swing to minimize the injury effects, and give you a personal strenght/conditioning routine.

If any Sand Trappers have had such an analysis, what happened? Did it help you?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went to a TPI certified instructor. He did a physical assessment that I thought I would pass with flying colors. Wrong-o on that one. I was pretty good in all areas except for lower-back and hip flexor flexibility. Turns out that was a severely limiting factor in my golf swing. He gave me some exercises, corrected a key postural deficiency at address and my handicap dropped 5 strokes. I was nursing a recurring lower back injury at the time and he forwarded me to a spinal surgeon who would do an assessment and take some xrays. One guy thought I had a transitional segment, the other guy didn't. Whatever it is, it's something I have to live with. But he really changed the way I think about the body parts throughout the swing. Mainly that the body is made up segments that either move or remain stable. For example, the middle back should rotate, but the lumbar spine should not rotate very much. This is because we are built in such a way that there isn't as much rotational freedom in the lumbar spine.
  • Upvote 1

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

When I was recovering from a sprained hip this time last year, I went to a physical therapist who also plays golf. He is a pal of one of the top teaching pros in our area.

He showed me some exercises that helped out on the motion areas part of my swing. Turns out I have the start of arthritis in my hip, and a couple of lingering injury type things, so I'm trying to establish better core strength, flexibility, etc.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I went to a guy, Terry Rowles, here in the bay area and I'll say it definitely opened my eyes a bit to what I need to work on. While my index floats between 2 and 4, my golf fitness index was an 18.7...basically, not good. I've never really done any type of working out or stretches related to my golf game, but am trying to get in the habit of making these work outs part of my routine. So far, I'm failing.

After going through an evaluation, they give you a username and password so you can access the website and see all your workouts scheduled for the next couple months, 18 in total. I don't know if thats the number of workouts they give everyone or if it depends on how in shape you are, but I did notice for each workout, I think I have to do all the exercises multiple times to make up for my lack of flexibility.

The website is awesome because it tells you what you do and don't do well and how it relates to your golf swing. I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering doing an evaluation, you'll be glad you did as long as you're serious about it. On that note, time to grab a healthy lunch.

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

I think you would really enjoy the experience and knowledge that comes from an evaluation with a TPI professional. The test clusters they use are tried and true and can identify potential swing flaws. After your evaluation you can in-turn perform prescribed exercises and mobility movements to further enhance your strength\flexibility\golf performance.

Not to bad mouth anyone specifically, but I feel there is a lot of poor information being filtered across the fitness section, so I would urge anyone to see a qualified professional for their golf fitness advise.

Srixon Z-RW 8.5* Matrix XCON 6
Callaway Steelhead Plus 15* Rifle 7.0
Cleveland Halo Hybrid 19*
MacGrecor Pro-C Forged 3-PW Rife 6.5
Cleveland Wedges 53* 58*YES! Tracy

Last fall I went to a PT certified by TPI and got an evaluation...it turned out I had some balance and stability issues and she set me up a workout program. Unfortuantely, I ended up having major shoulder surgery soon afterwards and am just now getting back to what she showed me...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I would like to try something like this, especially during the winter months when I won't have as much actual club time.  I have a golf trip planned the first of April and am trying to figure out how I will be able to play that much golf in a week after not having much outdoor time prior.  We have at least two 36 hole days in a 4 day period and possibly 3.  I need to do something over the winter so I'm not completely shot after a day or so.  Is there some way to "search" for a golf fitness instructor.  We don't really even have any golf shops here in WV so this may be a lost cause for me?

"The woods are full of long drivers."  Harvey Penick

• 2 months later...

brn2golf,

Here are 2 TPI instructors who may be near you:

John DeBlasis
1 304 243 3307
jdeblasis@wheelinghospital.org

Wheeling Hospital
3D Motion System: Inertial Sensors

Medical Park
Wheeling WV, 26003

TPI CGFI-MP2, DPT, MS, ATC

Jonathan Walton
304-640-5131
jonboy307@hotmail.com

N/A
3D Motion System: Optical Sensors

600 Johnny Joe Circle
Summersville WV, 26651

TPI CGFI, D.C.

I'm going to see one ofthe  local TPI guys next week here in Louisville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I went through a TPI Evaluation this morning!

Originally Posted by OCdude12

I went to a guy, Terry Rowles, here in the bay area and I'll say it definitely opened my eyes a bit to what I need to work on. While my index floats between 2 and 4, my golf fitness index was an 18.7...basically, not good. ...

I had a Golf Fitness Handicap of 18.6. Categories of assessment include Mobility, Stability, Balance and Power, and I got assessed on 29 factors in all. My assessment count (yes, I created the below ratings myself):

• PGA Caliber = 9
  • Acceptable = 5
  • Limited = 6
  • Very Problematic = 9

I got top marks in upper-lower body separate rotation, internal and external leg rotation, and external shoulder rotation. I'm in trouble for low calf and hamstring flexibility (problem since high school), hip rotation (arthritic right hip), balance, shoulder strength and posture (maintaining it throughout swing).

I had triple-bypass heart surgery in 2005, and two outpatient abdominal surgeries a couple of years back. Related to this, I never got my "pull-up" muscles back into pre-incision shape after the surgeries. Pre-2005, I could do 6 or 7 pull-ups. Now, on a good day I can do 2.

Evaluator suggested swing tweaks to a golf pro he works with to help me work with what I have. Golf lesson followed the analysis. Evaluator e-mailed me a package of exercises to help me overcome/stabilize limitations.

Analysis performed by Dr. Jordan Vickery, a chiropractor also certified as a TPI golf fitness instructor. http://www.facebook.com/TPIGolfFitness

More later as I work through exercise package, and practice my way to a repeatable swing.

Originally Posted by swgolfacademy

I'm a TPI certified instructor and would be glad to answer any questions people on the forum may have.

Can we get instructions on how to do a self-test for rough evaluation?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Quote:

Can we get instructions on how to do a self-test for rough evaluation?

Self-test not really possible. As the golfer performs different movements for evaluation, someone with a skilled eye has to gauge how far your move or don't move. Also, these are not normal calisthentics or other familiar moves - evaluator has to demonstrate proper form, and then talk you through the activity. Many activities have multiple steps.

After the evaluations, your scores are fed into a computer program which generates your overall fitness rating (fitness handicap), plus specific feedback comments.

Evaluators have to complete an elaborate training package to get TPI certified.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

Self-test not really possible....Evaluators have to complete an elaborate training package to get TPI certified.

Rough evaluation should be possible if someone were willing.  Otherwise I'm hearing, "It's only possible by highly skilled and therefore highly paid individuals hand-selected by God."  I can do a squat holding my hands in the air just as well by myself as I can with some guy looking at me.  Just wondering what other motions they tested...

[ Equipment ]

Quote:

Rough evaluation should be possible if someone were willing.  Otherwise I'm hearing, "It's only possible by highly skilled and therefore highly paid individuals hand-selected by God."  I can do a squat holding my hands in the air just as well by myself as I can with some guy looking at me.  Just wondering what other motions they tested...

The TPI evaluator took 29 different measurements. Although most made sense when explained, I had not seen many of them before.

You would need the names of the different measurements, and how to do them. Then, a software helps assemble a written analysis describing your body parts, and how they influence your swing (help  it or hurt it).

If you're interested, look at the TPI site and find out a training session you could go to.

Cost estimate: Basic seminar = $895 + plane ticket Aus --> San Diego =   $288 +  Hotel and food bill = $300

So, you and a friend can go get TPI training (level 1) for $1,483 each. Then, you can test each other...

Or, you can spend $200 to get evaluated by a local TPI person in Austin area.

It's like building your own car. A new car costs quite a bit more than the individual parts in it. You could certainly order a car piece by piece and put it together, or else just get one from the factory. Which would be easier and more effective in the long run? The extra cost goes to the assembly skills of the persons the factory.

Thanks.  I'll try to distill what I can from MyTPI...

[ Equipment ]

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

The rough self assessment would be very rough.  When I had this done, it was done by a PT that was TPI certified. There are just too many factors that are taken into consideration that you can't do by yourself.  It would be like trying to do correct physical therapy on yourself without the knowledge of a PT.  There is a reason they are certified.  I mean, you might be able to say, I don't feel that flexible here or there, etc....but the PT I went to measured those areas and compare them with numbers of the guys on the PGA tour.  It's hard to do the exercises they ask you to do, and then measure how well you are doing them at the same time.

Your rough evaluation you already know.  You know whether you are flexible or not in your back, hamstrings, shoulders, etc....  That's about as far as you will get without a certified person doing it. This is just my opinion of course.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• 4 years later...

I would like to reserect this old thread to ask if anyone else has had an assesment and the results. Especially @WUTiger

A friend of mine just got TPI certified. I have sent her a message to see if she will give me an assement.

Doug

AT,

I did got the full TPI analysis - PT/chiropractor + golf pro - and completed Phase 1 of the exercise routine. From feedback after Phase 1, got a computer-generated sequence of exercises for Phase 2. The only problem was, each daily workout contained 3 or 4 unusual exercises which I could not figure out how to do, or I was worried I wasn't doing them properly.

I worked through Phase 2 as best I could, and then I got derailed when TPI changed the computer password, and the PT/chiropractor who had done the assessment moved away, as did the golf pro.

In addition, I had turbulent life events emerge as Phase 2 wrapped up, and I never got back into the TPI fold. In our area, Washington U. med school has some PTs who specialize in golf, so I might go with them next time. I also suspect that GolfTEC analysis - with the body harness - could probably point out any body movements and body parts which are obstructing your golf swing. Therapy, however, is outside the GolfTEC realm. 

Keep us posted on how you are doing. You could be a valuable test case for your TPI-cert friend.

Note: This thread is 2736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!