IGNORED

Club Regrets

Note: This thread is 4854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I regret buying the original Taylor Made Tour Burner Bubbles in the X stiff shafts.  While I had a hard time with the driver, I kept the TourSpoon (hence the nickname) and had it reshafted and it soon became a treasured family heirloom now being gamed by my brother, a former club professional who is golf club poor at the moment.  I don't know what happened to the driver, but I think I soon went on to make another purchase with a more sensible shaft offering.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm not going to call it a "regret" necessarily, but I never could get comfortable with the 56* cleveland 588 dsg rtg.  It was a great looking club and I got it new for cheap, but it never felt good to me.  I gave it to a friend of mine who had been playing without a sand wedge, which made me feel a lot better about my mistake.

On the other end of the spectrum, I bought a Burner Plus 6 iron for $5 from the demo bin at a local course and hit it so well I regret I ever picked it up. It's making me rethink my current iron set up.

---------------------------------------------------
taylormade.gif R7 Limited 10.5*
taylormade.gif V Steel 15*
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual Hybrid 19*
taylormade.gif Burner 08 Hybrid 22*cleveland.gif CG4 4-PWvokey.gif 52*, SM 56*cameron.gif 35" Studio Select Newport 2

My regret was buying the R7 460.  I couldn't hit the ball out of my shadow with that club.  Luckily I was able to sell it quickly and purchase a SQ with a Proto by U Shaft in it.  The other regret I have is getting rid of that club.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

In the past 18 months I've purchased the following regrettable items.

1.) a bundle of 3 Callaway woods off Ebay. All had good heads (no kidding - they're indestructable) but the shafts were awful. 1 is a keeper (Hawkeye pro series with X shaft) except there's a rattle. Oh, that rattle!

2.) Nickent Hyperforged driver with some kind of garbage shaft. It's one of those yellow and blueish/purple jobs rated as "95+", which I assumed was swing speed. I think it refers to the player's age - it's garbage.

3.) A used Nickent 4dx 2-hybrid. It's a little trashed, has a hook-o-matic face, and I can hit my 3-iron farther, but it has a nice shaft. Since it's a hybrid shaft though, it doesn't fit in the little Spalding 5-wood I was going to put it in.

4.) Spalding Eagle 5-wood. It was only $20, but the shaft (medium/firm) should have been a red flag. Medium/Firm is like the difference between 6 and 8 minute spaghetti - either way it's still a noodle.

5.) Lamkin crossline grips on my ratty old MacGregor Colokroms. I'd taken advantage of a grip sale, and I hit them great indoors, but every time I thought about using them this year, I changed my mind and used a different old set. I used my $20 Burkes with original leather grips way more. Next season, I don't see using the MacGregors either. I'd just donate them to the Goodwill, if I hadn't put new grips on them - durn it!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Regret buying 2008 Maxfli fire complete set for 2 reasons:

A. Quality...After only a few hits with the SW at the range, the graphite shaft snapped in half underneath the grip in between my hands.  Odd to say the least.  Also the 5 hybrid head is cocked left like its a draw club, to where the 4H is not.  Also the 6 iron it came with is more of a utility club (has a full backside).  It's impossible for me to hit unless punching out from under a tree.

B.  Taking golf a little more serious since 2008 so I wished I would have saved the money and just put it towards a good quality name brand set instead of going the cheap route.

Ping G10 's will be in the budget come spring this year.

The only saving grace is that I actually hit the square head driver it came with fairly well and it actually came with an Adila shaft on it which surprised me.  Picked up about 20 yards over my 400cc Cleveland driver.  I think this has more to do with the Maxfli having the correct shaft flex for my swing.  As the Cleveland was stiff which was too firm for my slower tempo swing.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Oh and one more that I regret.  Last summer I picked up a 48 deg. oil can Vokey to replace my current PW.  I just dont think I am good enough for this club.  My vokey 54 and 60 I am pretty comfortable with, but the 48 deg I flat out struggle with.  I think it's because I have a sweeper style swing.  I'd sell it, it's mint but I had it shortened so probably not a big market for a wedge 1" shorter.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I traded a set of chrome Titleist 735CM's for a set of AP1's. I regretted it almost from the start. The AP1's are fine and the distance I get out of them is fun but I lost a sense of precision and feel especially in the short irons that I really miss. One day I will pick up a set of 710CB's to replace the AP1's but I am a club ho in rehab so no new equipment for me.

• 4 weeks later...

My regret is the Ping i10 3-iron in my bag. The pro at my store suggested I try a hybrid. I wanted to keep costs low so I went for an iron as I couldn't hit a hybrid straight to save my life.

Now I have a 3-iron with a shaft that doesn't match my irons or wedges and is the only club in my bag that doesn't say Titleist on it. Funny thing, I was contemplating getting a AP1 or an i10.

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

For me it would be my Taylormade RAC TP irons I got off of craigslist. I got a square deal on them, but lost at least a full club length all around. Not a good fit for me at all. They are for sale if anyone is interested. They are the RAC TP Combo set, coin forged, 3-PW with S300's.

Sounds like an awesome set.... Might have to make my way over the the marketplace.  Also, players clubs are traditional loft/length and should play a club short if compared against more modern/GI sticks.

Where in 253 are you?  I used to live up there.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

My regrets are disposals rather than aquisitions.

An Acushnet Bullseye wide flange putter.  Bought it new and it was in perfect condition when I traded it and don't remember what I traded for.

A Macgregor Eye-O-Matic 12* driver. Sold it and bought a H-B Citation persimmon driver with the brass backweight.

Traded the Citation and a Ping Anser putter for one of the original (ca 1980's) Taylor Made Tour Burner 7*. Kept the Taylor for a few years then sold it and bought something else.  Don't regret the purchase or sale of the Taylor, but wish I'd kept the Citation and the Ping.

Traded a Titleist PT Metal 13* fairway for a Taylor Firesole driver.  I bought the Titleist on closeout for about $89, used it for about 5 or 6 years and gave it and $50 for a nearly new Firesole which was selling for about 250-300 at the time.  The PT's had been discontinued and Tiger was still using one to great effect, so the used ones were selling high.  I used the Firesole awhile and one day at the range, the head came off. I took it to Edwin Watts, told them I bought it used, but would they send it back for me.  The guy was super nice and said just give me $15 and go pick a new one off the rack! I still have the Firesole, but wish I had kept the PT.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh God, I could write a novel on this subject. Hahaha

Most memorable was the first set of clubs I bought. "Lynx" brand irons, driver and 3 wood... Never again...

I was a new golfer and even I could tell they were junk. Thank God my store had a 90 day guarantee. Traded up to some Nike's, which I sold to a buddy a few months later. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by Danattherock

Scotty Cameron putters. Got three of them and none had the magic dust I had heard about.

Took me almost $1,000 to figure this out

Jeez, why would you buy two more if you didn't like the first one? And why didn't you buy them used if you were trying them out? You would have spent less than $500 and gotten it back when you sold them. Which Scottys did you own?

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Got a Mizuno MP-001 driver like 7 years ago, looked great and I sooooo wanted that club but as  time passed by it dawned on me that I didn't have the swing for it. Maybe it was because the sales man sold me a way to stiff shaft, to me hitting it was like getting my hands electrecuted bar one amazing shot while I was playing abroad, outdrove my friend who is a 1 handicap player 70 yards into the middle of the fairway.  Other shots, well I was lucky to find the ball most times, mostly power slices or what you name them.  It burned a hole in my pocket as I couldn't get rid of it but the only good thing to come from my adventure with that driver was my determination to to something radical about my swing, maybe some kind of an opportunity cost in the end that driver.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

I used to own Cobra irons. Then I quit Golf and sold them. Regret #1. Last spring I decided to get back into golf but didn't want to start off expensive. Regret#2 I bought a set of Walter Hagen T3's. Good for the money but wish I would have bought a better set. I shortly after,replaced the driver with a Cleveland Hibore xls Monster and added a Adams SW and LW. I then sold the T3's and bought some Nike Ignite2's and love them. Hindsight is 20/20.

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

Originally Posted by delav

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

For me it would be my Taylormade RAC TP irons I got off of craigslist. I got a square deal on them, but lost at least a full club length all around. Not a good fit for me at all. They are for sale if anyone is interested. They are the RAC TP Combo set, coin forged, 3-PW with S300's.

Sounds like an awesome set.... Might have to make my way over the the marketplace.  Also, players clubs are traditional loft/length and should play a club short if compared against more modern/GI sticks.

Where in 253 are you?  I used to live up there.

So I finally got around to posting those irons in the marketplace. And I live in Tacoma. Willing to make a deal to ship them for cash or trade.

Note: This thread is 4854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!