IGNORED

Trip to Tampa in Janurary!!

Note: This thread is 4982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Will be in Tampa the last weekend in January and (hopefully with good weather!) looking for 2 nice, reasonably priced courses to play.

Any recommendations? We are staying at the Grand Hyatt near the airport if that helps with geography...

Thanks in advance!!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

http://thesandtrap.com/products/category/florida

Check that link out. I just wrote a bunch of reviews of the courses I have played in Tampa. Plus, it gives you a location so you can decide on how far you want to drive. There are not very many nice courses around the airport, but you can find some cheap ones.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Rebel, there is a nice muni just a mile north of the Grand Hyatt ( as the crow flies) it is called Rocky Point. It is a mid size course but may be busy when you're here. For upscale courses check the Golf sites but be ready to drive.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Originally Posted by The Road Dog

Hi Rebel, there is a nice muni just a mile north of the Grand Hyatt ( as the crow flies) it is called Rocky Point. It is a mid size course but may be busy when you're here. For upscale courses check the Golf sites but be ready to drive.

no offense Road Dog but I wouldn't exctly call RP a nice course. Its just another muni. Not a bad course but not a nice course by anymeans.

Rebel, what do you consider reasonably priced cause to some people that could be 30 bucks and others it could be 50, also how far are you willing to drive, 30 mins? an hour? just some questions so we can offer some more courses to you.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Thanks for the replies so far!

kpaulhus, I will definitely check out that link, thanks!

theroaddog, thank you. I did see that course listed and the funny thing is, my home course here is Rocky Point! I figured I better at least check it out. But, I wanted to get some feedback on it, too!

mrd, reasonable to me is under $75 and I would be willing to drive 30-40 minutes or so. Thanks!!

Rebel

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Well you're in luck. You can play some excellent courses for under $50 and they are within 30 mins of the airport.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Originally Posted by kpaulhus

Well you're in luck. You can play some excellent courses for under $50 and they are within 30 mins of the airport.

Thanks for that link, VERY helpful! Looks like Silverado and Lexington Oaks are going to be it, provided they can get me out. The other ones that are close by either had poor ratings or are private courses. Did I miss any??

Thanks again!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

You should have no problem @ all playing nice courses for under 75, like kpaulhus said you can get on some nice courses for around 50. If you are looking for a playing partner your more than welcome to hit me up, I play @ riverhills country club it currently charges 55 on the weekend afternoons if you want to play a round. But check out some of the Clearwater area courses as well for a short trip over the bridge you can play Cove Cay Country Club  for right around 40 bucks and the course is right on the bay. Clearwater Country Club is also right over the bridge and should take you no longer then 30 minutes to get to. Hope you have a great trip. Let us know how it went.

WITB:

Originally Posted by Rebel_Golfer

Quote:

Thanks for that link, VERY helpful! Looks like Silverado and Lexington Oaks are going to be it, provided they can get me out. The other ones that are close by either had poor ratings or are private courses. Did I miss any??

Thanks again!

you should have no problem getting out @ silverado, nice little course too. have fun.

WITB:

Originally Posted by Mrd19abhs

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks again!

you should have no problem getting out @ silverado, nice little course too. have fun.

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer to get out at Riverhills! Would be nice to get out with someone who knows the course!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

That Cove Cay course looks nice, too. Thanks for that!!

Cove Cay is a nice course, I've played there several times. So it's not a surprise, you will have to stop at security at the entrance. Just tell them you are playing golf and they will give you a pass.

Clearwater CC on N. Betty is also nice.

A decent Muni in that area would be Largo GC on Vonn Rd.

http://largo.com/department/division.php?fDD=13-196

East Bay GC tucked away off East Bay Dr is also in that area.

FWIW, Chi Chi Rodriquez north of the airport (580 / N. McMullen Booth) is usually very busy in the winter season and is a favorite of the Canadian snowbirds so, it may be tough to get on.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know what you think of the area after your rounds. Make sure you write a review in the courses section.

Kyle Paulhus

I like Mangrove Bay or Mangrove something, I forget the name, because it allows walking.

Another course that allows walking is: http://www.golfthefox.com/hollow/welcome.html

Also across the bridge there's Buffalo something, which also allows walking.

Sorry, bad with course names.  Not sure if the courses mentioned in the above threads allow walking, but most of the courses in Tampa require carts, which I didn't like and limited my choices, but the above fit the bill.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Nevets88, its Mangrove Bay and its another Muni, which I think is not what the OP is looking for. The one across the bridge is Buffalo Creek again a Muni.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

Let us know what you think of the area after your rounds. Make sure you write a review in the courses section.

I will definitely do that!!

--- Rebel Golfer ---

Hey Rebel_Golfer...noticing your a 9 handicap I would want you to play some of Tampa's real test (within your budget)...now most of the courses mentioned are not what I would consider Tampa's real test of your game (sorry if I offended anyone) other than Riverhills and Silverado (but you have to play Silverado from the tips to really play a good golf course) anyway besides those two I would definitely say you should try to play Bloomingdale GC...it is a course that will test your game but you will like it...it has a bit of a reputation in these parts as there are a few PGA, LPGA etc players that hang around there and Lee Jantzen has the lowest round ever shot there (59)...I am a member at Apollo Beach Golf Club (only Robert Trent Jones Sr. design on the west coast of FL) but the course has had a set back lately and is not in the best condition but it is one of the best layouts in all of the Tampa Bay area and you can play it for $42 on the weekend in the morning...well I hope we given you some things to think about and hope you enjoy your stay!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Note: This thread is 4982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!